Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #31
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Re: ;) Drive Car of the Year: Toyota 86 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100 View Post
So Toyota spending huge on all the hype and marketing and suddenly it makes the 86 a good car???

I love Jap performance cars.
Mate I owned the last performance Toyotas from the 90s, a twin turbo 92 Soarer and a twin turbo 94 Supra, and let me tell you this 86 is nothing more than lots and lots of hype and no actual substance ...
No what you owned were 3 boats with very, very good engines. Still boats though.

86 looks a good thing and would definitely be the right car for anyone after a small 2 door that's a ton of fun.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #32
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Deserving winner.

Toyota wanted a car that was fun, affordable, stylish. They achieved that.

For the naysayers about the power/performance, well, watch this space. I would think it's naive for anyone to think this is where Toyota will stop.
Old 30-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #33
AD07

A little read for those interested in the 86...
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1990081
AD07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
i think the PEOPLE wanted a car that was fun, affordable and stylish. I love it, would love to have one for my daily.
Old 30-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #35
adz193
EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
Deserving winner.

For the naysayers about the power/performance, well, watch this space. I would think it's naive for anyone to think this is where Toyota will stop.
More likely to see an STI version BRZ then an upgraded 86 i would think, after all it is Subaru's engine... They have already shown a concept of it

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #36
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
But it's too slow....
...because making cars with more and more powerful engines which can go faster and faster makes perfect sense in todays over-regulated road network...give me a car with adequate power and a sweet chassis that is fun to drive and which makes you work to get the best out of the chassis and the power you have got instead of just relying on power to do everything for you.
The other appeal of the 86...something a lot of makers have forgotten...is that people will buy it and promptly start adding stuff to it. The vast majority of people now buy a "performance model" of their particular make and do nothing to it other than perhaps a set of wheels...they're filled with all sorts of gadgets and toys standard. The 86 is reasonably bare bones...it has power steering, air con, a typically nice Toyota stereo, but it's what it hasn't got that is important. People will be able to take a blank canvas and do with it as they will...just like everyone used to do many years ago.
It was a culture shock for some people to see a car that wasn't advertised as powerful, wasn't advertised solely on the features and toys it includes, but instead was marketed first and foremost as being "fun". Refreshing, to say the least.

The 86 is the perfect choice. I'd have one tomorrow if I was in the market for a smaller car instead of the four wheel drive we are planning on buying early next year.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #37
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
More likely to see an STI version BRZ then an upgraded 86 i would think, after all it is Subaru's engine... They have already shown a concept of it
An STI model already exists.

Speaking to the Subaru rep at the Sydney Motorshow about the current BRZ STI, and why the engine is no higher in performance than the 86 or standard BRZ, his reply was along the lines that they are under a 12 (or 18?) month contract with Toyota that the engine would not be modified in any way. He also mentioned after that period to expect a turbo STI model, and possibly a supercharged TRD model.

Was he talking crap?? who knows.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #38
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Test drove one when I was looking for a novated lease car for work, truth be told it didn't feel like a sports car, it felt like someone got their hands on a Corolla, put racing seats in it and a short shifter.

With the price of these cars and the fact that they are non turbo, I guarantee it will end up like the Celica and they will be a dime a dozen in a few years.
Old 30-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #39
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Hahah yeah the Soarer is a real performance car. Full of substance.
Hmm, me thinks those bagging the Soarer haven't driven one, nor seen one at the drags. The turboed six was a rocket - it remains the easiest way to build an 11sec car for the street for under ten grand....

Now all the GT needs to do is win Wheels Car of the Year so it can join such illustrious company as the P76, Camira and last years winner, a Honda Hybrid....
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69 View Post
Hmm, me thinks those bagging the Soarer haven't driven one, nor seen one at the drags. The turboed six was a rocket - it remains the easiest way to build an 11sec car for the street for under ten grand....

Now all the GT needs to do is win Wheels Car of the Year so it can join such illustrious company as the P76, Camira and last years winner, a Honda Hybrid....
I chose my Fairmont over a Soarer. The soarer was definitely very luxurious and smooth, I liked the digital dash..

But what any soarer lacks is personality and from my observation most soarer owners do sport a lot of swag...
Old 30-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #41
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg View Post
Test drove one when I was looking for a novated lease car for work, truth be told it didn't feel like a sports car, it felt like someone got their hands on a Corolla, put racing seats in it and a short shifter.

With the price of these cars and the fact that they are non turbo, I guarantee it will end up like the Celica and they will be a dime a dozen in a few years.
So it drives like a front wheel drive to you??
Mustn't have been much of a test drive.

Probably not IF but more WHEN it is released in turbo form, what will everyone complain about then?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #42
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
So it drives like a front wheel drive to you??
Mustn't have been much of a test drive.

Probably not IF but more WHEN it is released in turbo form, what will everyone complain about then?
When I first got a look at the 86 in person, I was surprised how small it actually was; it always seemed bigger in pictures, but it really was small. When I sat in the car though, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortably the racing seats really were. I am 6 foot 1 and I comfortably sat in the car; the seats were very low and I still had some head room.

When I was first sitting in the car, looking out the window, I really thought "this needs some spirited driving around the track!" the presence inside the car certainly made it feel like a track car. I LOVED the centre tacho, it was my favourite feature on the inside of the 86. Definitely made it feel like a track car. Sitting at the dealership in the car, all I could think was how I wanted to take this car on an open road and really cut loose.

However, when the car was driving, the whole feeling of the car changed drastically. Although the stance of the car was excellent, the centre tacho and racing seats made the car feel like a track car, actually driving the car was completely different. The fact that it was a 2 litre subaru boxer just did not feel like it should have been matched up to a car looking and feeling like the 86 did; almost like the designers had made this amazing body, amazing feeling interior and tried to rush to complete the job and whacked this boxer in there.

Although the car was a rear wheel drive, it certainly did not feel like it had enough power at those rear wheels. When I did manage to really put the car through its paces in the wide industrial backstreets of Port Melbourne, it became obvious that the narrow wheels that came standard with the 86 meant you could not take the stock 86 on the track whatsoever.

My opinion was sincere that it really felt like a Corolla that had been done up on the inside. Certainly had some excellent feeling inside the cabin and really looked like it could go fast, but once actually driving, it will make your heart sink.
Old 30-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #43
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you tried a lightly moded twin turbo model or the more luxurious V8?

back in 2000 my lightly moded twin turbo soarer used to make any new HSV/Tickaford owner cry ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg View Post
I chose my Fairmont over a Soarer. The soarer was definitely very luxurious and smooth, I liked the digital dash..

But what any soarer lacks is personality and from my observation most soarer owners do sport a lot of swag...
Old 30-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #44
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It also seems that most people who love the 86 have never actually driven a car that makes your blood boil and scared when you sink the loud pedal and everything starts to flash real quick ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69 View Post

Old 30-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #45
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100 View Post
It also seems that most people who love the 86 have never actually driven a car that makes your blood boil and scared when you sink the loud pedal and everything starts to flash real quick ...
Either that or they realise that there is more to driving than just straight line speed, things like handling etc.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #46
Vormund

I have to wonder if all the people criticizing for being too slow etc have actually driven one.

Personally, I went to have a look at one because yes, there is hype around it. I was offered a test drive. I put an order for one as soon as I came back.

You have to remember too this is a car that retails for $29,990. This is a car that is competing price wise with Polo GTI's, Mazda3 SP25's etc.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #47
69Mach1

Driven BRZ....feels like a big go kart. The shifter is the highlight. I would have ordered one if it had a bit more rear leg-room.....
69Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok lets all get back onto topic which is the FT 86 wining an award.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #49
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't say I'm surprised this got up for the gong. The formula is there and the fact the waiting list is so long says it all.

As I've said they nailed down the chassis and to add the power is far easier later on than the reverse. It's a get around for a lot of people and it's a project car for a lot of people. Add a bit here and there so to speak.

Quite a few of these cars putting down big power now. Here's one with 500+hp on stock internals http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19206
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchay View Post
quite a few of these cars putting down big power now. Here's one with 500+hp on stock internals http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19206

oh em gee!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #51
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got home today to see an 86 in the driveway. After checking it out,first time I have been up close enough for a good squiz my daughters friend (19yr old) comes out and with a huge grin says how do you like my new car! Took it for a bit of a run,was good to drive with the short throw shifter and great seats,everything seemed to be in sync and got heaps of looks.Didn't get to throw it around though but felt like it would handle most things thrown at it but it was a bit underwhelming when hitting the loud pedal. She absolutely loves it so it has hit the spot for some. She has had it for 3 weeks and been pulled over 3 times for no reason and let go after a check over.Didn't think they drew that much attention but obviously they do.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #52
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

About time a RWD came out..
120Y's, Corolla's are getting old and hard to find.
Will be a project car in time !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #53
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
So how did the Focus ST go in the category? No mention of it. Carsguide had it a better day to day car than the '86. And tail slides are a no no on the roads.

Forgetting there are a number of unhappy CX-5 diesel owners at present with the oil dilution problem.
thats exactly what i thought...focus has all the boxes ticked along with performance and front wheel drive thats is not very evasive to hard driving. Weird how such a SLOOOW car takes the gong
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #54
calmeister
sideways forever

Having driven one recently I've gotta say its a sweet setup, but definitely lacks some in the power stakes. Despite the appearance, a performance car it aint!!
A 13B-REW under the bonnet would make things more interesting.
For 29k it's a great car/price when compared to a Mazda3 or a Polo though.

BA MkII XR6 Shockwave
BF MkII XR6 manual 6sp Vixen
In the garage
79' Rx7s1
calmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post