Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Any ideas for the rear of my van?

Hey guys, i'm looking for some idea's for what to do the the rear doors of my XF van.

*Note; i'm putting this in general because it's the same rear over a vast period of time, and people may have seen idea's on other sorts of vans etc. If mods feel the need to move it, pls PM me to where it went, lol.

So anyway, I've been thinking about what to do with the barn doors on the back of the van.. At times I don't mind them, but I think the main thing that gets to me is when driving, visibility out the back isn't too great.
The reason I don't want to have the usual ute tailgate + glass made up on the back is generally because of security. What I had planned for the barn doors is a keyless/handleless remote control solanoid (sp?) door. That way, it'd pretty much keep people from getting in the back (through that way anyway). The reason i'm pretty uptight about it is that i'm going to have $10,000+ of music gear in the back each time I go to a gig/band practice and I want it to be secure.

So, is there any ways or ideas you guys have out there to get better visibility out the back, without having to make it less secure? I don't like the look of those canopy's etc that have pretty poor locks, and the fact that I could do the whole keyless and handleless pop door on the back appeals to me so far with the barn doors.

So, any ideas? Or should I keep it how I have planned?

Cheers.
P.S. Sorry for the bad writing, i'm real tired.

Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a XH I take it your XF dose not have side windows so no can see i as had one for while and the blinds spots were bad the barn doors are better if like me use it to carry stuff as it's much easyer to load and unload but the locks you want even i can't get as I want to repaint the van next yaer and want a clean look on the back so if you find someone to do show me how it's done and keep it or buy a XH as they are nicer
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 01:41 AM   #3
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I can't think of anything that wouldn't involve stupid amounts of work, apart from having one of those prismatic thingys (a plastic panel that hangs in the window) that will help see what is behind you for parking. You could put an extra window a bit lower in one door, but your load would probably block it anyway. If blind spots are a problem, try adjusting the side mirrors so you have a decent view of what is behind you (ie in towards the centre a bit more) and put blind spot mirrors on them.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, I've got the side windows, but I was planning on tinting them the darkest I could. I might use curtains instead then for the privacy factor when parked and going away etc and just do a light tint.

Wazza, one of our local restorers who did my dads 69 XT ute and is gonna help with some stuff on my van said I could do it. Might require a bit of work, but should be fine.
My only worry is that when they pop open, they'll close again, but they shouldn't as they won't pop far, just enough to get a finger in to open it up.

So keeping it barn doors seems like the best option eh?
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post