Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #31
RASER
Banned

Default Re: Imports dominate government sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Take the railways out her as a for instance...we use just about exclusively a fleet of Prados. They're four cylinder, they're diesel, they are very capable four wheel drives and will go anywhere we need to go on or off road in sometimes shocking conditions, tough as nails, and they're safe and comfortable for up to five guys.

What "Australian" vehicle should we be buying to do all that...?
Diesel Territory
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy73
So you are basing this on a sample of 1 car rusting? You are saying there are no imports that rust, period ? These are the correct stats. I know of 10 people at least with FG's and no rust issues to report. So that must mean my sample is bigger so therefore your car is an anomaly ? Where do you live ? Is it environmental issues that are causing rust in your car compared to others ? Is it garaged or exposed to the elements ? We can go on and on but this is ludicrous to make a broad-based statement of fact about fit/finish when I can offer plenty of examples of great fit/finish. Always though car companies can do better with every aspect of car making.
I have owned 1used falcon (EL), 1 new falcons (BA) and 1 new territory
(2007) of which 0 rusted. I owned a 1967 XT and 1973 XY both of which did develop some minor rust in the bottom corners of the doors and the front guards but we are talking a cars built in 1967 and 1973! My sample is bigger so I am still of the opinion the rust issue you experience is the exception rather than the rule. IMHO. Anyway probably getting off topic here but I couldn't sit by and not have a dig at the argument of fit/finish being of a poorer standard in OZ cars.
I guess at least there is no asbestos in Australian Made cars which would be more concering for me, like has recently been found in imports !
My brand new Fiesta had rust. Interestingly, when I first took it back to Dale Ford and I spoke to the receptionist she wanted to know what spec Falcon I had.... when I told her it was a Fiesta she apologized and said they had had a number of Falcons back for rust issues and just assumed mine was another Falcon.....

Last edited by Fiesta_Man69; 13-09-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Imports dominate government sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
My brand new Fiesta had rust. Interestingly, when I first took it back to Dale Ford and I spoke to the receptionist she wanted to know what spec Falcon I had.... when I told her it was a Fiesta she apologized and said they had had a number of Falcons back for rust issues and just assumed mine was another.....
A Falcon that has rust.......noooooo!!!

Its only 70's Fiats that rust.....not
Old 14-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #34
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
Its a disgrace to read that Qld isnt buying as many AU-made cars. Perhaps auto workers in Vic and SA should boycott holidaying there. While Im a swinging voter it seems typical of a Labor/Green govt to do that. Maybe Qlders in this forum can email their govt and demand they buy the local product.

Surely the auto unions down south can do something to stop this rot.
Unions don't really do anything mutch up here regardless but i have noticed a problem here with imported cars, wtf is with a standard 4 cylinder lancer or a hybrid camry police car??? they can't even fit the appropriate police gear in them but they are getting around more and more up here in townsville
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #35
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Diesel Territory

How far can a terry get offroad? I assume not very far because they are a city based SUV. Do they even have any offroad features?

I did a water crossing the prado other day, I don't think the terry would be able to handle it.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #36
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
My brand new Fiesta had rust. Interestingly, when I first took it back to Dale Ford and I spoke to the receptionist she wanted to know what spec Falcon I had.... when I told her it was a Fiesta she apologized and said they had had a number of Falcons back for rust issues and just assumed mine was another Falcon.....
I stand corrected. Ford Oz are the only manufacturers in the world that produce rusty cars. Good grief.
westy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #37
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy73
I stand corrected. Ford Oz are the only manufacturers in the world that produce rusty cars. Good grief.
That's exactly what I said, isn't it? I said that only Ford produce rusty cars..... not.

I was just making it clear that yes, there was many more than one falcon that had such problems.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #38
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Doing that would require someone in the public service to make a decission.

You will have more luck dividing by zero or riding a unicorn in the melbourne cup than finding a public servant who will make a decission.........

The other issue is who is going to pay for the 2 week long "Basic LPG" course followed by a 2 week "LPG refuelling" course and finally "LPG emergencies".
Then the creation of the "LPG manager" for each office, all of whom report to the district LPG manager who reports to the regional LPG manager who reports both to the second assistant OHS manager and the deputy fleet manager.
A working committee must then be set up to investigate the potential savings of LPG verses the number of extra jobs that can be created by deploying this fuel.
Of course a pilot scheme would then be run in a place where it would not cause any embarrassment to the senior management should it go wrong, somewhere like Birdsville would be appropriate.
And then it would be shut down and never done again because LPG is not available and it actually costs 3 times as much as petrol with all the required management and safety.

Oh and of course all the OHS people need to be retrained in LPG which is something new and due to their personalities, willingness to do any work and intelligence will take about 5 years.

close.. i can only speak in relation to the area i work for, our dept (victoria) went down the path of 4 cyl a number of years ago & stopped buying falcons & commodores (which were the prefered car for many years) & began buying camrys.. we were only allowed to buy 6's if they were factory lpg, so we brought lpg falcons at the time AU / BA's until we tried to load the boot with kit bags etc & saw a whopping spare tyre sitting in the middle of the boot floor, then they brought a few wagons (see the problem here) & eventually the camrys became the norm, & now with the hybrid camrys about they just have not gone back to them, another issue is the fbt that some managers have to pay to have a gov car when on standby which that dont pay if they drive a commercial vehicle such as a ute, thus camrys & twin cab hiluxs took over, camrys for general duties / runabouts & hiluxs for the bosses so no fbt..
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #39
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000
close.. i can only speak in relation to the area i work for, our dept (victoria) went down the path of 4 cyl a number of years ago & stopped buying falcons & commodores (which were the prefered car for many years) & began buying camrys.. we were only allowed to buy 6's if they were factory lpg, so we brought lpg falcons at the time AU / BA's until we tried to load the boot with kit bags etc & saw a whopping spare tyre sitting in the middle of the boot floor, then they brought a few wagons (see the problem here) & eventually the camrys became the norm, & now with the hybrid camrys about they just have not gone back to them, another issue is the fbt that some managers have to pay to have a gov car when on standby which that dont pay if they drive a commercial vehicle such as a ute, thus camrys & twin cab hiluxs took over, camrys for general duties / runabouts & hiluxs for the bosses so no fbt..
Falcon wagon LPG was the automatic default choice for many departments and businesses. I dont see how they will ever regain that 400 to 600 sales a month. Sedan doesnt cut it as the boost becomes useless with the spare wheel taking up the space - which is half the reason fleets pick a large car instead of a smaller one.

Last edited by Brazen; 14-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #40
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
How far can a terry get offroad? I assume not very far because they are a city based SUV. Do they even have any offroad features?

I did a water crossing the prado other day, I don't think the terry would be able to handle it.
If FoA pulled its finger out, they could well make a aggresive and useful optional off-road pack as does VW brand. [and others]

Lift kit, rear difflock, snorkel, simple stuff, all of that is no-brainer and easily done, aka RTV Falcon

What it really would need is a low-range, that could be a issue as its a different trandsfer-case or a underdrive fitted, not impossible but a bit of work involved

If FoA offered this, they could well pick up sales, turn it from a Kluger fighter into a Prado fighter, double the application of this vehicle
Old 19-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Thats exactly what the Ranger SUV will be for. No point making 2 cars to do the same job, thats what the whole One Ford thing is for.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #42
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Thats exactly what the Ranger SUV will be for. No point making 2 cars to do the same job, thats what the whole One Ford thing is for.
I agree

But the origional poster claimed "Made In Australia", not Thailand[barfine!]as per the Ranger