Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Default The truth about tuning

A very good insight into what tuners and performance shops have to put up with every day. Watch the video, Vinny Ten tells it how it is.

http://www.thatvideomagazine.com/new...nny-ten-racing

Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default Re: The truth about tuning

you know, this partially applies to the vehicle detailing industry (hack buff jobs vs the true pro refinishers)
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
you know, this partially applies to the vehicle detailing industry (hack buff jobs vs the true pro refinishers)
Get it almost everywhere, seeing what a mate is going through with a car at the moment and what I have had to deal with recently in Audio repairs it is everywhere.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Great video. It's moments like these that remind you that cheap is almost always never the best, even though it's attractive.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Yep, great little vid !
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That was Steve on the phone, he wants to know why his car isn't ready?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

That was great, and absolutely true, not just as a tuning shop but in any automotive workshop.

I was actually talking to a chippy today who I spent all day working on his car, I converted it from H4 halogen high/low headlights to H1 high beam reflectors, and H1 low beam projectors also had angel eye DRL and LED parkers inbuilt into the new assemblies.

They were aftermarket housings, the instructions were very vague and in "Chinglish", the wiring had to be changed because as I mentioned they were originally H4, the original wiring was also earth switching type rather than positive, so it has positive on the connector all the time and switches earth between the circuits to complete it.

I had to use relays to convert it from earth switching to positive switching for the new lights, and so I didn't overload the factory wiring. So I had to figure out how I was going to wire up the relay to get it to do what we needed.

Then I had to run new wiring from the relays to the lights, and put it all in split tubing and hid it inside panels/radiator support.

The DRL's needed an ignition source, so I had to pick up an ignition source from the easiest thing which happened to be the washer pump wiring, and get it across to both headlights neatly which meant following other wires to hide it in with.

I also did this without butchering the factory light circuit, so if anything ever happens or he wants to change back to factory assemblies its a matter of just unplugging some connectors and plugging back into the factory wiring harness.

For what sounds like a simple job, over the phone it was "I want to change my headlights to some new assemblies I bought", it turned out to be a nightmare, and the customer thinks its a simple job (changing light assemblies, can't be too hard right?), when its always some sort of catch to this stuff. We as an independant workshop don't have access to workshop manuals on every damn car out there on the market, manufacturers don't like giving out too many details, you can't just ring up and ask a dealership a bunch of questions and get straight answers. We were probing around with test lights for a while trying to see how the circuit worked, then coming up with a way to wire up the relays, running wires and soldering in to factory wiring, trying to find an ignition source, then figuring out how these DRL's worked.

Short story:

After explaining to the chippy all the crap we had to go through on his car to get the end result he wanted, he said he attempted to have a go at it on his own but he noticed the plugs were different and instead of butchering everything up and then coming to us to fix it, he'd rather take it to us in the first place and we can start with a clean slate rather than trying to fix someone elses botch up job which creates headaches and takes even longer than doing it right the first time. He said some of his clients have attempted jobs to save money and royally screwed it up and fixing it has cost the client more than just getting someone experienced to do it in the first place.

Another good one is a customers battery light comes on their dash, "My battery light has come on my dash, I need a new battery", thats your alternator, you have a problem with your alternator, "No, the battery light has come on, I need a new battery".

Or they've had a 240V electrician work on their car, and they've used scotch locks everywhere, might work well in a house, but a house doesn't generally move, shake around and vibrate day in day out.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 11-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
westoftown

far out, i thought he was gonna have a heart attack getting so worked up.

100% true though.

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah cool video
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what he said probably goes in many situations, all very true though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can tell he has a lot of knowledge.

The hope is that it gets passed on to others, same applies to the Herrods, Bluepowers, Spiro's, etc.

I'm in the engineering field and it's always a shame when someone retires or passes on, all that knowledge is gone; the same probably holds true for all professions/trades.

There's a lot to be said for mentoring/mentors and those they mentor.

Good vid!
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome!!!

So many little punk's that know it all from the internet...