Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
distortion

Default Bottle rockets!

Hi all,

Bit of a light hearted thread here... I just launched a bottle rocket with my sons (1 and 3 yr olds)... brought me back to the days when I used to play with them as a kid! I'm talking the bottle rockets that you fill half up with water, and use a pump of some kind to build pressure in, which pops out a cork and shoots the bottle up in the air... Completely safe if you are not in the way of the rocket going up (on the way down it has no weight). My boys were a minimum of 10m away each launch...

Luckily enough, the minister for war and finance approved the purchase of the bottle rocket for my three year old, and then today brought me a 4wd air compressor for the pajero... it surely did make short work of launching the rocket! I'm fairly good with measurements (being a sign writer and heavily into physics), and I'd bet my left nut the rocket went 80m high!

Anyone else have cool toys for their kids, which are fun to play with as adults?

distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Bottle rockets!

LEGO!

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lego... Was the best thing when I was a kid. Now my kids play with it for 5 minutes before its all over the backyard or in the carpet ready for me to step on at 5.00am
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL Bottle rockets. Me and my mates. Used to get a 2 liter coke bottle, make a home made bracket out of wood and whatever we had around the house. Get the hose jam it up the coke bottle and turn the tap on full blast. very fun.

Also going to get some pinball machines and arcade machines very soon, for my GF daughter and myself. :P
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T
Lego... Was the best thing when I was a kid. Now my kids play with it for 5 minutes before its all over the backyard or in the carpet ready for me to step on at 5.00am
Nothing compares to the pain of stepping on lego bare foot.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I challenge that theory - the old school christmas lights used to have a wicked pointy shaped piece of plastic over them - just spikey and sharp all over. Step on those and Christmas quickly becomes something else' mas.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lego...not that new fangled (but admittedly awesome) Technics stuff. Give a kid (or a grown up kid) a massive pile of Lego and get them to make something out of it...takes a lot more creativity than using specially designed pre-formed pieces to do a task.

I'm gathering all the bits and pieces to build an 8 foot by 4 foot HO scale train layout...purely for the enjoyment of the grandkids when they come to visit...yes...just for them...*cough*...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I build most of the toys that we play with, just finished a 3 story dollhouse complete with furniture for my granddaughter....we will play with that this afternoon.....bit of a surprise for her.....bought the little scale dolls from ebay

last weekend I made a car garage complete with service station and pumps for my grandson......that has made quite a few appearances

we often go out into pop's shed and make "stuff".....then we have a ball playing with it

it has taken me 30 odd years to realise that all kids want is for someone to play with.

I used to be too bloody busy working when I was a dad so basically i failed

but by jesus I will not make that same mistake with my grandkids.......

bring out the toys and step aside.......I'm the biggest kid in there!

well done you lot!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
I used to be too bloody busy working when I was a dad so basically i failed
I made the same mistake, worked my butt off thinking I was building a home/security for family life - the thing I forgot was to be a dad.

On a lighter note: Potato launchers made out of PVC plumbing pipe, aerosol cans and a cigarette lighter - they were fun! There was a few mishaps, but nobody got hurt. Also, when launching fire crackers (when legal in QLD) we used to light them and drop them in a glass milk bottle and aim for the sky! - I'm sure they went much higher!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 02-09-2012 at 01:16 PM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OP dont do a bottle rocket with one of those 15 litre springwater bottles..

it will scare the kids.. and most of the neighbours...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty
I made the same mistake, worked my butt off thinking I was building a home/security for family life - the thing I forgot was to be a dad.
Same here, but grandkids give you a second chance at getting it right...

Quote:
On a lighter note: Potato launchers made out of PVC plumbing pipe, aerosol cans and a cigarette lighter - they were fun! There was a few mishaps, but nobody got hurt. Also, when launching fire crackers (when legal in QLD) we used to light them and drop them in a glass milk bottle and aim for the sky! - I'm sure they went much higher!
Oh gods yes...the fun we had when cracker night was legal. Funnily enough, apart from singed fingers, I never recall any of the horrifying injuries that we were assured were "common" back then. I would lay money that more kids are hurt nowadays on skateboards and BMX bikes than were ever hurt by crackers and bungers.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
distortion

Pottery Beige - yeah I was thinking about trying one of those 15 litre bottles! I bought a kit that uses 1.5 litre bottles, and has fins and all attached... not sure if it'll work with the 15 litre ones.

Good to hear that the dads on here have their acts together... all too common nowdays for dads 'not care' etc. My dad was busy with his career when I was little also, which is why I now work from home (graphic designer/webdesigner/signwriter) I see my boys all day every day.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I'm gathering all the bits and pieces to build an 8 foot by 4 foot HO scale train layout...purely for the enjoyment of the grandkids when they come to visit...yes...just for them...*cough*...
I reckon that will need a build thread here on AFF. I for one would love to see that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
OP dont do a bottle rocket with one of those 15 litre springwater bottles..

it will scare the kids.. and most of the neighbours...
Hmmmm. Now you've put the idea in to my head. Luckily, the wife works at a winery where I can get the rubber bungs and the drink containers....
Pity my son is only 3 months old, but I guess I can always practice for when he's older?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortion
Pottery Beige - yeah I was thinking about trying one of those 15 litre bottles! I bought a kit that uses 1.5 litre bottles, and has fins and all attached... not sure if it'll work with the 15 litre ones.

Okay Okay whered you buy from. Please
Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you lot are a mob of bloody big kids.........now tell me how to make these bottle rockets so i can .....er .......um be sure its safe

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple version:
Take a plastic PET bottle, either 1.25L or 2L
Take the cap of and replace it with a cork. )You might have to drink a bottle of wine to source the cork....)
You might have to cut down the cork to size, but stick a needle used to inflate sports balls (soccer balls, footballs, etc) through the cork.
Fill the bottle about 1/3 full of water and put the cork in.
Connect up a bicycle pump to the needle and start pumping.
Prepare to get wet.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

of course.....a football needle.....that bit had me buggered

you'd put it on a stand of some kind as well wouldn't you......grandkids are due up on the weekend....might be a project in the offing

Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz
Okay Okay whered you buy from. Please
Toyworld! (fountain gate - but I'm no bogan)
Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Simple version:
Take a plastic PET bottle, either 1.25L or 2L
Take the cap of and replace it with a cork. )You might have to drink a bottle of wine to source the cork....)
You might have to cut down the cork to size, but stick a needle used to inflate sports balls (soccer balls, footballs, etc) through the cork.
Fill the bottle about 1/3 full of water and put the cork in.
Connect up a bicycle pump to the needle and start pumping.
Prepare to get wet.
It's a lot easier to use a compressor! The kit I purchased was $15, and had all the tubing etc - but also the 'cork' part and a set of fins for the bottle which keeps the bottle pointed the right way (and helps it go up straight!)

for the 15$, its a def worth it!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
of course.....a football needle.....that bit had me buggered

you'd put it on a stand of some kind as well wouldn't you......grandkids are due up on the weekend....might be a project in the offing
If you want to get really technical, cut up ice cream container lids and put some fins on it so it has a base and also stability in flight...bit of gaffa tape and they ain't going nowhere.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep......I can see a couple happy littleys on the weekend.....the stand i reckon we'll knock up out of timber for stability

just gotta keep the mum away......she may not approve

kids arent allowed to get dirty and granddad always sends them home filthy....but with a huge smile on their face that you couldn't get off with a wire brush

I sorta reckon 2 baths per day is a little bit of overkill.......but I gotta keep my mouth shut

Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey poppa smurf, when the weather is warmer, you can simply hose them off in the back yard and save that second bath ;)
Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome, with a bit of practice I can get the snotty kid that sneaks up and rings my `ford` doorbell lol
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well I brush them off pretty regular but they still get that second bath

bit different when i was a kid, one of seven.....I was always the last one to use the bath.....same water did us all

then we "upgraded" the house and we each had fresh clean water, that was when we got the "inside loo"

I still remember the old man when we had a barbie after the "alterations".......

he said "never thought I'd see the day!"

I said "whats that dad!"

he said "shitting inside and eating outside"

this two baths a day caper is beyond me

Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
What about passing out in the hallway and landing on a bit with your chin...... 1/2 doz stitches later!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

15 litre bottle rockets were let off at back of workshop.. 1/3 full water.. mains air and airgun held tight as around neck of bottle as long as you can.. preferably hold above your head...

keep your face etc clear.. i have heard of them exploding making a mess..

did you guys have a safer way...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #27
Phil B
Clevo power!

Did someone mention Lego and Technic? (And yes I have the old, awesome Technic)

Working V8, gearbox, steering, suspension, diff...

Was one of my projects that took 2 years, finished it earlier this year after buying a real coupe too! Link is in my signature for the whole build.

Also being semi OCD I dont have the problem of stepping on bits of my Lego, or that it's just that I've got so much I can only have it somewhere out of the way!

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
LEGO!

Only problem is that it doesn't have "Fujiwaras Tofu Shop" on the drivers door in Japanese script...