The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #181
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: HSV W427 vs other high powered V8 and turbo 6 cylinder sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
The argument to overcapitalise on a HSV or even a FPV just doesnt hold much water, never will.
When does the argument to overcapitalise hold water? You say not on a HSV, or even FPV, but is it OK to overcapitalise on a Ford if it is not a FPV?

Like if I want to go forced induction, and the cost is about the same as the vehicle's total worth, would that be overcapitalising?

We all value things differently - how many non-enthusiasts see value in any of the mods we do?
Old 20-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #182
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle
When does the argument to overcapitalise hold water? You say not on a HSV, or even FPV, but is it OK to overcapitalise on a Ford if it is not a FPV?

Like if I want to go forced induction, and the cost is about the same as the vehicle's total worth, would that be overcapitalising?

We all value things differently - how many non-enthusiasts see value in any of the mods we do?
It never holds water. HSV/FPV/XR/SS whatever, its all money down the gurgler. Its not about % of cars value, its about $$ spent.

$$ spent = $$ lost unfortunately. The more you spent the more lost

But in saying that, if you spend $155k on a wd40 HSV or if you spent $90k on a supercharged VE GTS, $90k, you have lost less on the Supercharged GTS (and you get more performance). As time goes on, the WD40 car wont maintain the $65k premium over the regular GTS. So not only will it depreciate but at a much much faster rate than the GTS as well. Would you buy a three year old W427 with 30,000km at $90,000 or a brand new E3 GTS for $80k?? Or better yet a equal performing Coyote GT at $80k?

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 20-08-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 20-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #183
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
It never holds water. HSV/FPV/XR/SS whatever, its all money down the gurgler. Its not about % of cars value, its about $$ spent.

$$ spent = $$ lost unfortunately. The more you spent the more lost

But in saying that, if you spend $155k on a wd40 HSV or if you spent $90k on a supercharged VE GTS, $90k, you have lost less on the Supercharged GTS (and you get more performance). As time goes on, the WD40 car wont maintain the $65k premium over the regular GTS. So not only will it depreciate but at a much much faster rate than the GTS as well. Would you buy a three year old W427 with 30,000km at $90,000 or a brand new E3 GTS for $80k?? Or better yet a equal performing Coyote GT at $80k?
All of which pales in comparison to the more expensive European luxury cars...
You want to see money go West at an alarming rate , start playing with BMW, MB or Jaguar...
Old 20-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #184
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

je-zusus.......................

Hulk BA

A W427 is a W427, its the epitome of HSV engineering. Just bolting a charger onto a GTS wont maketh the same car, faster, yes, but it misses out on the authenticity of a factory rocket.

Using your theory, a BA2 XR8 with a supercharger is a FG Coyote.

Now, you keep on questioning the price of a W427. So, here are some more facts.

HSV (Just like FPV) spend millions developing there cars, this does just mean the slap a crate engine in, some new wheels, stand back light a cig and marvel there creation.

No.

After reading an article on the depths they go to, the cars sound more special.

HSV develop there own ESC, which means Millions on spent on prototypes, world wide testing, programing etc. The W427 would have its own TCS and ESC, as the LS7's characteristics are different to the LS3.

You don't get that in a modded car.

Don't get me wrong, Modified cars a fun (Why do think i spent more the the cars worth on turbo kits, suspension etc)...but they don't have the awesomeness of knowing that its factory...

Thats why cars like the Fairlane thunder bolt are held in high regard...Factory built weapon...factory installed big block.

If your mindset is limited to thinking the value of one car is only determined buy the value of another car + its aftermarket part...then you should just give up...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/

Last edited by Nikked; 20-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 20-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #185
nstg8a

Old 20-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #186
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Personally, I think the W427 will become the most collectible Aussie car ever.
Old 20-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #187
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
But in saying that, if you spend $155k on a wd40 HSV or if you spent $90k on a supercharged VE GTS, $90k, you have lost less on the Supercharged GTS (and you get more performance)
Can you show me the warranty slip you get with putting a blower on a factory GTS?

Can argue all you want HSV delivered the goods in a market that was shrinking. A car that didnt 'just have a blower strapped on it', a car that was engineered all over with better suspension, brakes and a monster dry sumped donk plain and simple.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 20-08-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 20-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #188
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
je-zusus.......................

Hulk BA

A W427 is a W427, its the epitome of HSV engineering. Just bolting a charger onto a GTS wont maketh the same car, faster, yes, but it misses out on the authenticity of a factory rocket.

Using your theory, a BA2 XR8 with a supercharger is a FG Coyote.

Now, you keep on questioning the price of a W427. So, here are some more facts.

HSV (Just like FPV) spend millions developing there cars, this does just mean the slap a crate engine in, some new wheels, stand back light a cig and marvel there creation.

No.

After reading an article on the depths they go to, the cars sound more special.

HSV develop there own ESC, which means Millions on spent on prototypes, world wide testing, programing etc. The W427 would have its own TCS and ESC, as the LS7's characteristics are different to the LS3.

You don't get that in a modded car.

Don't get me wrong, Modified cars a fun (Why do think i spent more the the cars worth on turbo kits, suspension etc)...but they don't have the awesomeness of knowing that its factory...

Thats why cars like the Fairlane thunder bolt are held in high regard...Factory built weapon...factory installed big block.

If your mindset is limited to thinking the value of one car is only determined buy the value of another car + its aftermarket part...then you should just give up...
Hmmmm. Yes a W427 is a w427 but at the same price a RS4 is also a RS4, c63 is a c63, GTR is a GTR, (you get the point.) I didnt say the wd40 was no good, just too pricey for what it is and not a match for other marques in that price point. Do you really believe that the HSV is a worthy opponent for these highly acclaimed cars in all facets??

A BA2 XR8 with supercharger has nothing to do with this thread so im not sure why you bring it up? But as you do, ill let you know something. I could have bought a new FG GT cash, a WD40 HSV as well. But I decided to invest my money in assets that appreciate. Further, the guy who pays me rent coincidently drives a F6 FG (better than my lowly Supercharged XR8). I wonder how he enjoys the payments on his F6 as well as paying off my mortgage.

In a few years time my tenant will have an old clunker FG F6 to show for his hard work and he will still be paying me rent. When he has helped me accumulated enough wealth, Ill go get a brand new GT.... maybe he can pay it off for me too
Old 20-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #189
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Without starting a war of holden vs ford, and this is my personal opinion, like yours, that car will only become the most collectable Aussie car if it goes straight into a garage and never driven...We have far more aussie cars here in australia, that would be worth collecting than that particular car..
Old 20-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #190
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I can agree, if the choice came, RS4/GTR/W427 i know it wouldnt be an aussie car id buy.
But the 427 is Australian and a major achievement here in OZ. A factory built powerhouse having a crack at the Euros. Well done HSV.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 20-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #191
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I can agree, if the choice came, RS4/GTR/W427 i know it wouldnt be an aussie car id buy.
But the 427 is Australian and a major achievement here in OZ. A factory built powerhouse having a crack at the Euros. Well done HSV.
that pretty much sums it up perfectly.
Old 20-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #192
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the problems with telling lies on the internet and pretending to be someone, do something or own something that you do not is that all of your fantasies and fairy stories are there for anyone with access to google to find.
Old 20-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #193
Uncle Tone
Ploppy pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
One of the problems with telling lies on the internet and pretending to be someone, do something or own something that you do not is that all of your fantasies and fairy stories are there for anyone with access to google to find.
Yeah.

And don't you forget it.

Old 20-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #194
PlukaDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
RS4....... What a joke
OVER PRICED , OVER RATED and over here.
Watch this modified RS4 get smoked by a $80k Stock ZR1 Corvette.
Watch Lambo genie's best get smoked also........
Also the corvette outbrakes outhandles any of euros suposed greats..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLXjPc9An84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsKEbBxzls
Old 20-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #195
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
but at the same price a RS4 is also a RS4
It's an RS5 now. Mate has an RS4 and it goes like a dog shot in the ****.
Old 20-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #196
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

I'm not sure if this thread makes me laugh or cry...... it's so sad in lots of ways!

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 20-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #197
PlukaDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
It's an RS5 now. Mate has an RS4 and it goes like a dog shot in the ****.
Bring it on says the ZR1, it spanks them all. GTR, PORSCHE ETC ETC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlGMX8G3B4
OH yeh i am a ford man but that is the LS9 Motor holden wants to put in there Dunnydoor
Old 20-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #198
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews

Collectible yes, the most collectible no way. Well certainly not if you work out what a genuine phase 3 or 4 or even Monaro if you love Holden or Charge cost new compared to know in % terms anyway. Even with inflation i cant see a W427 been worth 10 million in 35 years
Old 20-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #199
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=HULK_BA]Hmmmm. Yes a W427 is a w427 but at the same price a RS4 is also a RS4, c63 is a c63, GTR is a GTR, (you get the point.) I didnt say the wd40 was no good, just too pricey for what it is and not a match for other marques in that price point. Do you really believe that the HSV is a worthy opponent for these highly acclaimed cars in all facets??

A BA2 XR8 with supercharger has nothing to do with this thread so im not sure why you bring it up? But as you do, ill let you know something. I could have bought a new FG GT cash, a WD40 HSV as well. But I decided to invest my money in assets that appreciate. Further, the guy who pays me rent coincidently drives a F6 FG (better than my lowly Supercharged XR8). I wonder how he enjoys the payments on his F6 as well as paying off my mortgage.

In a few years time my tenant will have an old clunker FG F6 to show for his hard work and he will still be paying me rent. When he has helped me accumulated enough wealth, Ill go get a brand new GT.... maybe he can pay it off for me too :yelrotfl
Very, very sad . That post would eclipse all of your others , your all class hulk if I was your tenant and read that I'd be spitting in your dinner.
As others have said if you can afford it why not. There aren't too many later cars that are value for money NOW ( just ask the fella tryng to sell a GTE at the moment) , but down the track these things are going to be worth a LOT more than a GTS with mods . End of story.
Old 20-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #200
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A bit of reverse logic,
If FPV decided to do a big capacity 7.0 litre Falcon, they get a Hurricane 6.2 V8 and take it out to 427 CID,
it has twin plug, hemi heads with ports like sewer pipes, so they dry sump it and give it 550 hp, then stick it in
something like an R-Spec GT Falcon, how much would you pay?
Old 20-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #201
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
A bit of reverse logic,
If FPV decided to do a big capacity 7.0 litre Falcon, they get a Hurricane 6.2 V8 and take it out to 427 CID,
it has twin plug, hemi heads with ports like sewer pipes, so they dry sump it and give it 550 hp, then stick it in
something like an R-Spec GT Falcon, how much would you pay?

One left testical

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 20-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #202
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think the limit is 120k, which is what HSV were projecting for the W427. I think thats part of the reason why it failed to sell as much as they planned, all the talk by them at the time was that it was going to be around that price, which got a lot of people interested.

Then they put it on sale at 155k and most of the buyers walked away. 155k was just laughable, especially after they had thrown around 120k projections. There's definately a limit someone will pay for a locally made car and I think anything north of 120k is just a step too far. Even anything over 100k is asking too much except for the most desirable, iconic legends ie potential GTHO.
Old 20-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #203
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck
Bring it on says the ZR1, it spanks them all. GTR, PORSCHE ETC ETC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlGMX8G3B4
OH yeh i am a ford man but that is the LS9 Motor holden wants to put in there Dunnydoor
Thanks, but no thanks. Not my cup of tea.
Old 20-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #204
XRDeeze
UTRIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie
I'm not sure if this thread makes me laugh or cry...... it's so sad in lots of ways!
you can just see people from ls1 forums crakin themselves at all this

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
Old 21-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #205
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

And so the thread slowly draws to the end...

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Old 21-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #206
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWF6 310
And so the thread slowly draws to the end...
Agreed. It's going no where.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Closed Thread