Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Contrary to what we are told...Oil Isn't Running Out!

It probably annoys the hell out of greenies, but there are those of us older than five minutes of age who have memories dating well back into the seventies or beyond.
I remember in Grade 10 in 1980 doing school projects about "motoring in the 21st century" just beyond the year 2000. We honestly thought there'd be no oil left and, as the main character said in the magnificent movie "Running On Empty" when asked why he liked modifying cars, "we'd be running around in electric wheelchairs" after 2000.

Even a book I have, "Torque" by Peter Wherrett, has a section on motoring in the future, and he thought that oil would be pretty much gone by shortly after 2000.

Cars are instead more powerful than ever, and more efficient than ever.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #32
Trump
bitch lasagne

Umm, not sure if anyone here has read up on how the oil is extracted from oil shale...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #33
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

With all the talk of water on Mars, the recent landing of Curiosity, and the possibility of past life, I wonder where all that life has gone? How far from reality is the idea that Mars may have an untapped supply of crude oil?

Lukeyson

Canberra i think.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
It probably annoys the hell out of greenies, but there are those of us older than five minutes of age who have memories dating well back into the seventies or beyond.
I remember in Grade 10 in 1980 doing school projects about "motoring in the 21st century" just beyond the year 2000. We honestly thought there'd be no oil left and, as the main character said in the magnificent movie "Running On Empty" when asked why he liked modifying cars, "we'd be running around in electric wheelchairs" after 2000.

Even a book I have, "Torque" by Peter Wherrett, has a section on motoring in the future, and he thought that oil would be pretty much gone by shortly after 2000.

Cars are instead more powerful than ever, and more efficient than ever.
Four things happened:
1) as the priceof fuel went up, sthe cost of recovering more expensive oil became more viable

2) the price of oil is dependant on demand in boom and recessions

3) Speculation of oil pricing contracts causes an inflationary and exaggerated jump in the price.

4) The Saudi are being very cagey about their reserves because they may or may not have that much left - see points 2 & 3.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #35
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
It takes thousands of years for oil to form and, as others have said, we have to pumping out a greater volume that what is being replaced - especially with increased consumer demand from the likes of China & India, where many more of the general populace is now a car owner/fuel user.
It will have to run out one day.....

But the problem is the ones who are saying its going to run out don't know when. There's no use saying something when you don't know yourself.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA
But the problem is the ones who are saying its going to run out don't know when. There's no use saying something when you don't know yourself.
It's all really hypothetical then isn't it ??? Because no-one has the exact figures or information.
I guess the point I was trying to make, was that there is a quickly growing market for fuel in countries where historically the general population haven't had the $$$ to own a car.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we will never run out of oil, it will gradually become more expensive to pump out for the greater world population and become unpalatable, people over a period of time will just adapt to something else, but internal combustion engines are very versatile, i`m confident when the time comes that it becomes too costly they will find/use something else to fuel them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #38
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
it wouldn't be the first time the oil industry ran out of it's supply of oil. Whale Oil was used in vast quantities until the whales started running out..
i forgot to link
http://io9.com/5930414/1846-the-year...perm-whale-oil

Quote:
Energy experts predict that the global production of oil will soon start to decline, what's referred to as peak oil. Now while we may not be there yet, there was a time in our history when we did reach a similar plateau, but it was a very different kind of energy source — one that could only be extracted from the heads of sperm whales.

It was the intense demand for this sperm whale oil, what's called spermaceti, during the 18th and 19th centuries that nearly drove the whales into extinction. And it was only through the development of a rather modest technological innovation that the whales were saved at the last minute.
Old 16-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #39
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
It's all really hypothetical then isn't it ??? Because no-one has the exact figures or information.
I guess the point I was trying to make, was that there is a quickly growing market for fuel in countries where historically the general population haven't had the $$$ to own a car.

Fair enough.
What gets to me the most isthat no one really knows accurately how much there is or isn't yet they come out and say things as fact. There are alot of area when they have not explored but because we the people either don't have the info or are told lies by governments and others to push policies and causes.
When you think about we haven't been using oil for that long and records have not been kept for that long either so they are making assumption on very limited information. Do they know how much oil there really is?
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
midnightXR6

I work offshore on the well side. The amount of new oil discoveries is almost weekly.

Australia would be a major player in oil richness but the barrier reef has put a stop to that with the destruction that could happen if it all went tits up there
midnightXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #41
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightXR6
I work offshore on the well side. The amount of new oil discoveries is almost weekly.

Australia would be a major player in oil richness but the barrier reef has put a stop to that with the destruction that could happen if it all went tits up there
No one doubts new discoveries are happening all the time. But the fact is if 80 million barrels aint discovered everday, then what we do know we have, is getting less and less. Australias current reserves are less than 4 billion barrels. Approx. 10 years of supply (if no imports). Hardly an abundance.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post