Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #31
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Default Re: Brocky's skyline now Dick Smith skyline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeman_ford
My buddy went to skyline for the Brock memorial when it all happened, it was moving, and he, like most people signed the wall. Then they painted most of it with sponsors.

he was really upset, to him, its like knocking over someones headstone

No respect for the great man that raced a FORD sierra !!!
they painted over it because morons were slowing down and even stopping to look at the writings. it is a very thin public road - if people wanted to pay respects they could park on the mountain and walk down to skyline, but that would be too hard. even then, a local driving along the road to get home doesn't want to come over a blind corner to see a bunch of people standing on the road

plus, maybe the locals who don't care about racing but endure it for 4 times a year don't want bogans from all over the country coming over to have a look
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #32
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
plus, maybe the locals who don't care about racing but endure it for 4 times a year don't want bogans from all over the country coming over to have a look
Then they shouldn't have moved near a racetrack...
That's like people who move next to an airport then complain about the noise.

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #33
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylby1
Then they shouldn't have moved near a racetrack...
That's like people who move next to an airport then complain about the noise.
you are not serious are you????

1. an airport operates on a daily/weekly basis - plenty of reason to stay away if you don't like air traffic
2. bathurst is only used as a race track for 4 (maybe 5) times a year. the rest of the time it is inhabited by locals who go about their business of everyday life - sure if they moved there after 1960, they cannot complain about those 4 times, but to suggest it is their problem for dumb assed bogans showing up at every opportunity to pretend they are the next big thing - you have to be joking

that is like saying don't buy a house in suburbia if you don't like idiots in commode dores with their baseball caps on backwards leaving status lines
but don't live in a large country town either because hoons are a bigger problem in them it seems
Old 13-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I know it as (as do most people) just "skyline", if you ask me, I think slapping Brocks name simply cheapened both the skyline & brocks name. It was just put on there in the month between his death & the 06 Bathurst. No real thought put into it, the virtually just slapped his name in it. Hardly a fitting tribute....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #35
strobe

Didn't know Brock was into nissans.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #36
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
mikeeman, there wasn't much ford left in them when Cosworth finished with them and they went racing, specially when Dick Johnson got busted cheating with the larger turbo he fitted.
You must be on drugs. I've been watching motorsport since the early 80s and such a thing never occured.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #37
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
You must be on drugs. I've been watching motorsport since the early 80s and such a thing never occured.
adelaide 87, i think
from memory it was a strategic ploy, similar to moff using roller rockers at sandown 78
Old 13-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #38
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
adelaide 87, i think
from memory it was a strategic ploy, similar to moff using roller rockers at sandown 78
i couldn't help myself, i had to look it up
he won in adelaide
it was round 3 at lakeside. he used different turbo impellers and although probably not disqualified (both cars failed to finish), he was given a huge 7 day ban from the sport. luckily there was no race in the next week or it might have been a real penalty
Old 14-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
The most important part of the race has been named after brocky already, and that's the trophy for winning the race (aka the peter brock trophy)
Absolutely and utterly spot on.