Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Default Ford marketing.

Ford just posted this on their Facebook site. It will be good if some forum members can register and attend.

"Ford fans, we’ve had a lot of questions on our page regarding our marketing approach, particularly as it relates to Falcon. You’ve seen new news from us on EcoBoost, our Cane Toad video and recently seen ads that feature the Falcon and Falcon Ute. Now, we’d like the opportunity to take you a step further and provide you with more information about our overall marketing strategies by inviting you to an exclusive in-person presentation with our General Marketing Manager, David Katic. Due to the confidential nature of David's presentation, we can’t share too much on our Facebook page, but this presentation will allow you, our fans, to get the inside story. The events will take place on 15th August in Sydney and 16th August in Melbourne. We have a very limited number of spaces available for this unique opportunity, so if you're interested and would like to find out more, please email us at social.fordaustralia@gmail.com"

4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Re: Ford marketing.

Why?

Wouldn't the objective of the marketing campaign to be to inform potential new customers about products, and also convince/swing buyers that aren't sure what they want?

I don't quite understand the point of sharing the strategy with people who are fans already? If they are following the Facebook page, and this presentation is aimed at 'fans' then I really don't get it?

Unless they are asking for contributions from fans in the way of ideas/open forum discussion - I'm confused.

Hasn't stopped me from applying for a ticket though.
Old 22-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm hoping this will either silence the arm chair critics, or get them off their butt and off to one their presentations, so they can finally be properly informed of why Ford do what they do, or it seems to the critics, why they don't seem to do enough!!!
Im sure they will be given an opportunity to ask all their burning questions !!!
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least its a start! maybe some of those (burning questions) might get anwsers they need, & we need alot I can tell you!
Old 22-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Why?

Wouldn't the objective of the marketing campaign to be to inform potential new customers about products, and also convince/swing buyers that aren't sure what they want?

I don't quite understand the point of sharing the strategy with people who are fans already? If they are following the Facebook page, and this presentation is aimed at 'fans' then I really don't get it?

Unless they are asking for contributions from fans in the way of ideas/open forum discussion - I'm confused.

It is probably because a lot of fans are ****ed off at the lack of marketing. This will help bring diehard fans up to speed & keep them happy. After all, "word of mouth" is a form of media & if you’re most loyal are ****ed off, would hope do you have? I'm more interested in what they have planned then this event personally.

It is now June & fans have to wait until Mid August to get "inside information" which means there can't be much planned anytime soon?? But at least they are working on something, which is good.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

I just want Ford AU to inject some LIFE into their marketing of the Falcon via the web. Secks sells, so why not use humor and very tame secks appeal in the ads. They should be flogging the EcoLPI - its green and more powerful than petrol...and fuel costs half as much. Ads with secks appeal on youtube are far more likely to get millions of hits. Falcon demographic is men, and secks is the number one hot button that will turn heads.

It has to be clever and hopefully controversial to generate more media buzz.

Seriously!
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marketing isn't the only thing they need to work on, they need to focus on customer service aswell.

Ive requested a brochure for the new Focus over a month ago, still hadn't received anything, got a call from Ford to ask if I had received anything 2 weeks ago, which I stated I had not. They said they will send something out that day, which I still have not received.

VW took 2 days to send me the information I had requested.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
Marketing isn't the only thing they need to work on, they need to focus on customer service aswell.

Ive requested a brochure for the new Focus over a month ago, still hadn't received anything, got a call from Ford to ask if I had received anything 2 weeks ago, which I stated I had not. They said they will send something out that day, which I still have not received.

Crikey cobber! Why dost thou not just hop on the interwebs or visit a dealer...youll get all the info you need. Paper?! Cmon mate, thou art a treekiller. You wont get laid by sexy greeny chicks and their hairy legs at this rate!
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Bummer it's not in Brisbane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50

You can download all the Ford brochures from their website.
www.ford.com.au
or you can visit a dealer?

Here's a direct link to the brochures.
https://www.secure.ford.com.au/resea...ochure/confirm
it bypasses the need to fill out your details form.
Old 22-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A very select few will be invited in to see the confidential info, probably sworn to secrecy too..

Unfortunately I won't be going but feel sure that the underground network will be running hot.
That is after all, why Ford is doing this, they want the info to leak out through the right channels,
long before the media gets wind of it..

With any sort of luck, all the sad sacks will soon be brimming with glee..and the constant moaning will finally cease.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Announce XR8 and the G8E are coming !!!
Old 22-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

I want a V8 and bonnet scoop on everything with a Ford badge on it. Even a Fiesta.

Not really.
6th car 95 XG ute
Fords all my life.
Old 22-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

i wouldnt bother, it will fall on deaf ears. im glad i dont work for ford anymore.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
i wouldnt bother, it will fall on deaf ears. im glad i dont work for ford anymore.
I won't be there anyway. I love my territory BTW. No intention of buying a new one. Can't get a new petrol AWD anyway. A Supercharged V8 RWD Territory may change my mind though, but I think I'd have to make that myself somehow.
6th car 95 XG ute
Fords all my life.
Old 22-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

I have to admit Ford's products are great especially what FPV have done with the V8 otherwise i wouldnt buy their products, but they really have left it too bloody late at least 10 years too late.

I have had numerous arguements with morons from broadmeadows in all sorts of departments and the sad thing is no matter what their education is they are as dumb as dog ****.

it is no wonder ford is absolutely nowhere with their marketing, sales and public perseption because these morons who think they know better do not listen to the people out in the field outside of the company who see first hand the ****** they are in, and now they want our help in marketing strategies??? all i have to say is a big go and get ******.

Funny thing is they built a vehicle to target fleet companies and government departments yet these fleet buyers do not have any information on this vehicle before or after its release so they can evaluate it, how is ford going to sell this vehicle when their biggest buying clients do not know anything about it except that it is a 4 cylinder falcon.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Why?

Basically they've lost touch with their faithful, and are looking to reconnect. Also, they no longer know how to market Falcon.

They have an idea, but I think the motive behind this is to get your idea.
Old 23-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's a bit like a flight where most of the passengers have died of oxygen loss and now the cabin attendants are about to serve an in- flight meal...
Old 23-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

What amazes me is Ford spend millions devolping the LPG and 4 pot Falcon and I've yet to see an ad on TV for either of them.
I see lots of XR6 ads but nothing else for the Falcon.

I'm not saying that there is not any ads for them it's just I haven't seen any annd I watch an average amount of tv each day.

Thats my two cents worth
Old 23-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

I think Ford are split into groups with different agendas. I think the R&D guys are doing great work, but the bean counters and marketing people just want to sell imports and then the poor factory workers are wondering what is going on and have got all disillusioned with the whole thing. They need to focus on a direction and then give it everything they've got to survive. But I think they're still talking about which direction to take.
6th car 95 XG ute
Fords all my life.
Old 23-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

How about some advertising where they focus on what a Falcon can ACTUALLY do - i.e. travel long distances in enormous comfort, beat BMW's in comparative tests, tow a caravan around Australia, travel MILLIONS of kilometres as a taxi (why not celebrate this durability?!) and now use less than 9L/100km of fuel OR cost $40to fill up with the best LPG engine in the world ...

Ford need to play on their "Australianism" in the way that Holden do. A Falcon is far more "Australian" than a Commodore, but you wouldn't know it ... Bogan advertising? Who cares - it works.

They also need to act like a winning company with the way they market and stand behind their products.

Make 5 year warranty standard across the entire range. The cars are reliable anyway, and I can't see any impact on the bottom line.

Celebrate what Ford has been, what it is and what it can be in the future, instead of half-arsed attempts at advertising with the purpose trying to overcome perceived negatives that just serve to further entrench them.
Old 23-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
SVR73
Mr Polish

well said
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
I have to admit Ford's products are great especially what FPV have done with the V8 otherwise i wouldnt buy their products, but they really have left it too bloody late at least 10 years too late.

I have had numerous arguements with morons from broadmeadows in all sorts of departments and the sad thing is no matter what their education is they are as dumb as dog ****.

it is no wonder ford is absolutely nowhere with their marketing, sales and public perseption because these morons who think they know better do not listen to the people out in the field outside of the company who see first hand the ****** they are in, and now they want our help in marketing strategies??? all i have to say is a big go and get ******.

Funny thing is they built a vehicle to target fleet companies and government departments yet these fleet buyers do not have any information on this vehicle before or after its release so they can evaluate it, how is ford going to sell this vehicle when their biggest buying clients do not know anything about it except that it is a 4 cylinder falcon.
Very true. With some of the stuff you hear it makes me wonder wether Graziano was sent here to deliberately sabotage Falcon and make the decision a lot easier for Detroit to shut up shop. Either that or they have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Basically they've lost touch with their faithful, and are looking to reconnect. Also, they no longer know how to market Falcon.

They have an idea, but I think the motive behind this is to get your idea.
Seems like they want people's opinions on what they plan on doing, to see wether people think its good or not. They have absolutely no clue what they are doing anymore in regards to advertising it seems, and they want validation to see wether they are on the right track or not. I guess you can't keep doing the same old shizz if its not working anymore, which might actually be a good thing. I think a change of direction is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It's a bit like a flight where most of the passengers have died of oxygen loss and now the cabin attendants are about to serve an in- flight meal...
Should have been done a year ago. I still for the life of me cannot fathom how they could not have advertised EcoLPi, FG2 and now Ecoboost upon release. Planned to make it fail or staggering incompetance?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Very true. With some of the stuff you hear it makes me wonder wether Graziano was sent here to deliberately sabotage Falcon and make the decision a lot easier for Detroit to shut up shop. Either that or they have absolutely no idea what they are doing.
IMO, Your second option is more close to the mark, it's as though the change in market
has completely taken ford by surprised and they are not sure what to do - how to respond.
They have no plan "B"....

Quote:
Seems like they want people's opinions on what they plan on doing,
No they don't, quite the opposite.
They are hoping by inviting critical supporters and explaining sensitive data to them, the critics will come on board..

Quote:
Should have been done a year ago. I still for the life of me cannot fathom how they could not have advertised EcoLPi, FG2 and now Ecoboost upon release. Planned to make it fail or staggering incompetance?
See my answer above.
1) Ford assumed fleets would just start buying LPG cars again.
2) They assumed that low sales meant buyers were hanging off for FGII
3) They assumed that buyers would return to Falcon with the launch of FG II
4) in short, they still expect Falcon to sell itself.....
5) Fleets walked away from Falcon long before Graziano announced the fleet pull out..

I don't mean to get on Ford's case here but if they want to keep Falcon, they have to push advertising more..
Old 23-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #24
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
IMO, Your second option is more close to the mark, it's as though the change in market
has completely taken ford by surprised and they are not sure what to do - how to respond.
They have no plan "B"....

No they don't, quite the opposite.
They are hoping by inviting critical supporters and explaining sensitive data to them, the critics will come on board..

See my answer above.
1) Ford assumed fleets would just start buying LPG cars again.
2) They assumed that low sales meant buyers were hanging off for FGII
3) They assumed that buyers would return to Falcon with the launch of FG II
4) in short, they still expect Falcon to sell itself.....

I don't mean to get on Ford's case here but if they want to keep Falcon, they have to push advertising more..

I don't won't to get on there case either but they just realised that this isn't the case now! I thought there was a different reason behind a lack of ford marketing.