Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

Post Lock Nuts

Ive heard that they only delay the time taken to actually get the wheel off by a thief. I was browsing another forum and saw that all four wheels had been taken off a car that had lock nuts installed in a space of less than 15 minutes.Does anyone know how effective these really are at stopping people stealing wheels?

FG XR6T 50TH ANNIVERSARY SOLD
Dilzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lock Nuts

smash a socket on them usually does the trick...

if you like your wheels.. dont leave your car in dodgy places...

and no i dont go around pinching wheels..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

There is a brand, I think they are called gorilla locknuts that have a smooth outside surface and the key goes into a recess so a socket cannot be belted on. Look into them.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
There is a brand, I think they are called gorilla locknuts that have a smooth outside surface and the key goes into a recess so a socket cannot be belted on. Look into them.
same way to remove them...

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Instead of one lock nut per wheel buy more sets. Or go with different brands and mix them up.

Yea it may not be 100% secure but it's a deterrent and you're right, it'll take more time and hopefully someone will notice then. Or they'll move on to and find an easier target that won't take as long. Speed and ease is what they're looking for.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Imo, just don't have wheels worth stealing.
Old 25-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing is ever theft proof..... its a deterent.

If a thief come along and see two cars, one with lock nuts or one without, he/she will go for the easier one.

Unless the crook is a pro (very rare these days) and comes prepared or course, but when one looks at the amount of car theif etc its mostly oppourtunist, not planned.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gorilla lock nuts are your best bet. They have a free spinning outside and every key is different. The key slots in between the free spinning ring and the centre. This stop people from bashing sockets onto them.
Nothing is 100% theft proof, if they really want the rims they will have to break into the car for they key.

I know they work cause I've had a few people try to flog my wheels and fail. They are about $50, the wheel deal sells them (site sponsor).
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
smash a socket on them usually does the trick...

if you like your wheels.. dont leave your car in dodgy places...

and no i dont go around pinching wheels..
Locknuts are a gimmick only. Have not practical function.
Except when you have a flat, it's dark, it's raining and you can't find the key.
A theif will still take your wheels if he wants them.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

They're a deterant...Nothing more....Even gorilla locknuts.....

I'll give this much...It takes longer to remove the gorilla locknuts, than what ti does for conventional ones.

BTW, there is actually a socket available, which can be used to remove locknuts QUIETLY. The thread bites into the locknut as you undo it with a 1/2" drive ratchet. Saves damaging the rim, mis-hitting the socket with the hammer.

I know this, because I work in a tyre store and quite often have to remove locknuts, when people misplace their locknut key.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The Commodore locknuts work like a charm!

Fellow outside my work couldn't get it off, I went over to help him and found the soft alloy nuts had given way to jack handle and smoothed themselves so it just spun around and around
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I have Gorilla guard lock nuts on my wheels (bought from The Wheel Deal - site sponsor). I feel they are the best lock nuts out there but if someone flogs my wheels so be it but atleast I can go to the insurance company and say atleast I tried.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post