Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #31
LTDHO
The one and only

Why bother going from 98 to 100? They could(should have gone to 103.

Like previously said, the cost will be that high that no one will by it!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 12:02 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Conspiracy theory hat.

Holden & Ford are against ethanol.....
Fuel companys are against ethanol...
Lots of studies show that ethanol kills fluffy bunnys and makes little girls cry.
John Howard want to appease primary industry and move focus from other issues
**************** (This line about govt pressure on fuel and car companys removed by ASIO)
Holden & Ford LOVE ethanol......
Fuel companys LOVE ethanol......
Lots of studys show ethanol makes fluffy bunnys and little girls smile
Marketing gurus state that ethanol raises RON and that has to be good. (water raises RON too but it just doesn't burn very well)

What is the bet that within a few weeks Home & Away or Blue Heelers will have a storyline showing ethanol to be really good.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #33
jmc-007

: I think you have it flappist

All the about ethanol now shell is putting it in fuel.

Next John Howard will announce he is gay with George Bush :monkes:
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #34
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets hope it becomes widely available soon so Ford can tune the GT/F6 etc to it
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #35
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be fixed at 3 cents dearer than Optimax 98
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #36
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT

Both Ford and Holden will release a statement next year endorsing their products (Falcon, Commodore etc.) as being E10 compatible, so fear not. I don't know if this applies to older models or not, but I'm sure VY/VZ BA/BF will be endorsed.
And of course there is no way there would have been an outside push from the government and oil companies (shell & BP i'm looking at you) for the major car manafacturers in Australia to promote E type fuels for use....

Me thinks anyone that believes that is having the wool pulled over their eyes...

Bottom line, John Howard is a lying pip squeak, who is a hand puppet to first and foremost, his gay bum sex budy george bush, and then oil companies and his plebes that make millions who call them selves his friends...

Frankly if you bleieve John Howard and for that matter oil companies and car manafacturers then, well you're going to be ripped off, but then again if you bleieve them you're probably to stupid to realise it's happening (YOOT - This isn't a perosnal attack on you).

Meh I'm going to Caltex for some Vortex 98 RON non-ethanol based fuels...

Howard, you can bite my hairy white ***!
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #37
Syk0AU1

so in australia what is the best recommended fuel to get for a car? mobile, shell, bp, caltex?? is there anywere where it shows the comparison between them all and the actual octane ratings etc?
Old 17-11-2005, 07:33 PM   #38
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

And here I am happy with 91RON fuel. If 91 gets phased out, I hope that 95 at least dips in price slightly!

I doubt it...
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #39
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair302
My mechanic mate tells me every chance he gets NOT to use E10 or anything E? for that matter. Appearantly they have been putting some stuff in diesel for a while now, same idea as E fuels. Official word is no hamfull side effects. But he reckons all of a sudden there are lots of customers with fuel pump issues. Seals and other rubber/plastic bits just corroding away.

I put more faith in my mate than Johnny and his sugar friends

Baz
One of our trucks at work was having trouble with fuel filters and the fuel congeiling in the lines, turned out that the service station where the driver was fuelling up was trialling deisel added with 10% ethanol and it was eating away the feul filters. Bloody great stuff that old jack boot Johnny want's us to use. It all comes down to him trying to appese his sugar industy mates after he screw them over with the free trade agreement.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #40
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Isnt the reason why the Current Evo and STI is detuned is because we dont have 100 octane fuel and Japan does?
but the difference is that the jap spec 100 RON fuel doesnt comprise as high a percentage of ethanol than this new 100 RON fuel.

ethanol on its own has a RON of 130, yet only has approx 70-75% of the specific energy of "petrol".
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #41
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im defently gonna try some of this, as my car feels way better with BP ultimate + optimax, so ill try 100 octane...

atm its at Coles Express St Albans Cnr Station Rd & Main Rd West St Albans VIC (according to there site)

- Grechie
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #42
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

wow, another ethanol thread, full of the same misinformation, conspiracy theories, my mates, my uncles, my mechanics and my mechanics dogs girlfriends anecdotal evidence.

Someone say something original for once, or better yet, do some bloody research into the actual chemistry and how it is supposed to work, instead of relying on "my best mates uncle says its crap."

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #43
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
wow, another ethanol thread, full of the same misinformation, conspiracy theories, my mates, my uncles, my mechanics and my mechanics dogs girlfriends anecdotal evidence.

Someone say something original for once, or better yet, do some bloody research into the actual chemistry and how it is supposed to work, instead of relying on "my best mates uncle says its crap."
I could off said it better myself. Before you knock it, Try it. I did and I like it. I have been running E10 for near 6 months and my ute has never ran better since being on it..... The only conspiracy is there are a heap of twits out there that listen to there mates mechanics dogs girlfriend, and then think they know all about ethanol blended fuels.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #44
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*bump*

So anyone got some of this yet?

I got some just last night at the Shell Virginia (Brissy).

Car runs strong. Not sure if it's the fuel only, or we also had some lovely chilly evening air last night.

So I wont make a definite call on it yet - but after filling with it last night I really believe the responsiveness and just general 'crack' of the throttle was improved.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #45
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

cars with knock sensors will benifit greatly from ethanol based fuels. Why?? because a fuels RON rating is measured by its ability to stop knocking. (thats how they measure it ... in a knock engine)

so yes most modern cars will notice a slight increase in performance and the increase will depend solely on the aggresivness(sp?) of the knock ignition retard value in the ECU.

carby cars will only run better if running slightly lean initially and carby's should be retuned if you wish toi use it LONG TERM(every day)

as for its corrosive effects... its the same as methanol really ... anyone whos done any real alcohol fueled racing will know that you have to pickle the engine after using methanol because it is extremely corrosive to aluminium(forget why)[pickling relates to the process of running gasoline through a methanol car after racing thus sstopping said corrosion)

as for a 10% mix i dont think it will have that great an effect on your lines and pumps and seals... anyone using toluene will already know how good it is toluene=ethanol
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #46
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
MRT did a premium fuel test on a WRX with a unichip, I got a document from the LS1 forums. They testes all the 98 RON fuels and tabulated the results.

The suprise was the only E10 fuel in there was the highest performer, exclipsing Vortex 98 by more than 5rwkw in the WRX. The worst performer was Shell 98. Also all the 98 fuels were NOT 98, they were coser to 97 or 96, Vortex was the only true 98 fuel, and was tested by Caltex (Seen there fuel testing vehicles getting around?). The E10 98 was also above 98 RON.

Unfortunately the report may never see the light of day as BP and shell are threatening law suits against MRT for deformation since it devalues there product, but if its not up to scratch then BP and shell have something to answer for.

The tested a number of race fuels, and they all performed within a couple of kws of themselves. All 100+RON.

The 98RON fuel provided a 10-15rwkw increase in power, and increase in area under the graph over 95RON fuel.
I was told about this via someone who gets their 6T tuned by them.
I have tried 1 tank full so far and the car felt great, I'm going back for more.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 05:38 PM   #47
anakha

One thing to note with ethanol blended fuel is that the stoichiometric ratio changes the higher the ethanol content. Ethanol has less energy output when compared with petrol. E10 for example has a stoich. ratio of 14 vs 14.7 for straight petrol. This can be an issue for cars tuned to run close to the edge, especially when boosted.

This link has some interesting reading regarding this.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #48
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was wondering, in a E series, would u need the timing advanced to take advantage of this fuel? im still goign to try it, but yeah im runnign a EAII Manual ECU, i doubt it would recognize 100 octane, so maybe advancing the timing would help
Shockworks Coilovers
Old 21-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #49
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechie
i was wondering, in a E series, would u need the timing advanced to take advantage of this fuel? im still goign to try it, but yeah im runnign a EAII Manual ECU, i doubt it would recognize 100 octane, so maybe advancing the timing would help
Or saving some money and use 91 RON....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 12:48 AM   #50
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Or saving some money and use 91 RON....

screw using 91 octane, id rather clean my engine as i drive then dirty it with that petrol
Shockworks Coilovers
Old 22-11-2005, 01:21 AM   #51
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechie
screw using 91 octane, id rather clean my engine as i drive then dirty it with that petrol
And you really think using a higher octane fuel will clean it? :

Don't believe the marketing hype of the oil companies. 100 RON will do nothing better for an engine that's tuned for 91 RON. Just cost the user more.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 05:29 AM   #52
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

100 ron is good for dev 5
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #53
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I just wonder what they will call it when they bring out 102 octane or whatever comes next... Shell 102 Optimax Sooper Dooper Extreme?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 11:50 PM   #54
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well, ive used it today. On a car that recommends PULP, it sure does wonders..... redline is so much smoother and it loves being there... Something it does not usually like on a hot day

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 02:04 AM   #55
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakha
One thing to note with ethanol blended fuel is that the stoichiometric ratio changes the higher the ethanol content. Ethanol has less energy output when compared with petrol. E10 for example has a stoich. ratio of 14 vs 14.7 for straight petrol. This can be an issue for cars tuned to run close to the edge, especially when boosted.

This link has some interesting reading regarding this.
your correct a lower stoich. ratio will mean that you will ordinarily have to inject more fuel into the chamber however, the extra benefit gained from using a higher octane fuel for example a car tuned on 98, then switched to e10/100ron will easily compensate for that.... also any person who tunes there car that finely deserves to blow an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
And you really think using a higher octane fuel will clean it? :

Don't believe the marketing hype of the oil companies. 100 RON will do nothing better for an engine that's tuned for 91 RON. Just cost the user more.
steffo ...plse read my previous post...even if a car is "tuned" for 91 ron... if it runs a knock sensor then it WILL PERFORM BETTER as it will not have to retard the timing as there WILL BE LESS KNOCK. cars without a knock sensor tuned for 91 ron however probably will not notice a change unless they were lean in the first place.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #56
scrantic
BA MKII T Ute 6SP

got a tank full the Day it came out in Melbourne, I drove past the Shell on punt Rd near the MCG and saw the big product launch and on my way back I needed to fill up the tank.
I was surprised during filling when i read the 5% ethanol and was pretty skeptical at first but at the end of the week got 520k's out of a tank in my xr6t ute with a 60/40 split of city/highway driving.

I cant say that I would buy it again but was willing to give it a try even if I did get sucked in @ first .

Considering shell spend a load on stickers saying our fuel does not contain ethanol in the last couple of years I think its amusing that they now bring out a product that contains it and market it as a performance fuel.

(PS I got bout 20-25 extra K's outa my tank)
scrantic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #57
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I went to get my usual BP Ultimate yesterday and all BPs were out of premium and Ultimate in my area so I am guessing the supply problem mentioned in another thread has hit here, too. I went to a Shell that was on the route of my intended journey but it didn't have the 100 octane fuel. I was going to try some. But it made me think that it is a bad time for BP to be out of Ultimate because if someone goes to Shell at the moment and see's the newly launched 100 octane fuel, BP will probably lose a heap of their customerbase. I've read that BP have their own 100 octane fuel that will slowly be introduced around the country one day.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #58
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ummmmmmm they are putting in "cheaper" stuff (ethanol) but charging us more for it. Does that make sense?

Why not just use BOOST98 (E10) when its the price of ULP and sometimes cheaper.

I'm confused.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post