Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Default More Success for Ford in Best Car Awards

Press Release.

Ford Australia has continued its run of success in the prestigious Australia's Best Cars Awards, scoring two trophies in the 2005 awards.

The Focus CL was judged Australia's Best Mid-size Car under $28,000 and the Ford Territory Ghia AWD was named Australia's Best Recreational Four Wheel Drive.

It is the second successive year the sales-topping Ford Territory has secured the highly sought after 4WD award, while the new Ford Focus – launched earlier this year – was a winner in its first outing with Australia's Best Cars judges.

"To win one award in Australia's Best Cars is an honour," said Ford Australia President Tom Gorman.

"Winning two is a fantastic achievement and reinforces the pride everyone in Ford Australia feels with delivering great vehicles.

"Even more satisfying is the fact Ford vehicles were named Australia's best in two of the fastest-growing and most competitive market sectors."

Australia's Best Cars are judged by representatives from all of Australia's motoring clubs - the NRMA Motoring & Services, RACV, RACQ, RAASA, RACWA, RACT and AANT.

Considered the nation's most consumer-focused motoring awards, they are based on a unique objective scoring system taking into account value for money, design, function and performance.

"It's a fantastic effort for Territory to be named Australia's Best Recreational Four Wheel Drive two years in succession, particularly when you consider that since the judging took place we have launched an updated version, incorporating a state-of-the-art, German-engineered six-speed transmission.

"Territory is the vehicle that redefined the term SUV and is responsible for the phenomenal sales surge in medium SUVs.

"Similarly, the small car market in Australia continues to dominate the sales chart. The new Focus continues to find new devotees as it steadily builds sales results.

"The combination of practicality and performance makes Focus a winner and it's a tremendous thrill to have the vehicle recognised as Australia's Best Mid size Car under $28,000," Mr Gorman said.

RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Interesting to hear the Mitsubishi 380 was awarded best family car though.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Interesting to hear the Mitsubishi 380 was awarded best family car though.
Given the BF in base model form doesn't differ too much from the BA, I think it's good the 380 is winning some rewards when you compare it to the outgoing Magna.

Remember how wheels said the BA was the car that ford needed to build? I think the same could be said for the 380.

Best Small Car – Hyundai Getz 3-dr man ($14,490)
Best Mid-Sized Car Under $28,000 – Ford Focus CL 4/5-dr man ($20,990)
Best Mid-Sized Car Over $28,000 - Honda Accord Euro sedan ($35,500)
Best People-Mover - Honda Odyssey Luxury ($45,290)
Best Sports Car Under $57,000 - Volkswagen Golf GTI man ($39,990)
Best Sports Car Over $57,000 - Mercedes-Benz CLK350 Coupe ($118,600)
Best Luxury Car Under $57,000 - Subaru Liberty 3.0R sedan ($50,990)
Best Luxury Car Over $57,000 - Audi A6 3.0 TDI quattro sedan ($97,900)
Best Large Car - Mitsubishi 380 sedan auto ($35,990)
Best All Terrain 4WD - Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 SE ($73,650)
Best Luxury 4WD - Lexus RX330 Sports ($73,200)
Best Recreational 4WD - Ford SX Territory Ghia AWD ($53,950)
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
MRJUCY
Fordless

Has the Getz been updated since last year as the Fiesta beat it last year didn't it & as far as I knew they were both still basically the same cars.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah but have you driven a 380?

the interior is a joke, both in quality and fit.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
RACV praises the 380 for its fit and finish :nutsycuck
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 01:01 AM   #7
Sloth

But did they even judge the BF? Notice it was the SX territory that got the award, not the SY. So the MKII XT couldnt get it again because it got it last year - unless of course they gave it to the MKII futura.
Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 01:07 AM   #8
Dave_b
Starter Motor

It was a BA Mark 2 that was tested, the BF will be included next year. I thought the most surprising thing was the Hyundai Sonata beating the BA for second place.
Dave_b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 01:16 AM   #9
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

"Ford's BA II Falcon, not the BF which contends in 2006, is untroubled by its rivals for dynamic qualities, but slips back in crucial categories such as safety and running and repair costs".

This quote basically sums up where the falcon lost out. From a driving enthusiasts perspective however, the falcon is still king - it scored 5 for performance, ride and handling, and was the only car in its class to do so.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 01:27 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
RACV praises the 380 for its fit and finish :nutsycuck
the racv..damn you got me :hihi:

I drove in one, straight from the plant, its not all its cracked up to be. But there is a good saying, quality input = quality output; this is not the 380.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-11-2005, 01:34 AM   #11
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:

Not according to the guys that run australia best cars awards

Mitsubishi's future as a local manufacturer is all about numbers.

If an investment of more than $600 million in the new 380 sedans doesn't produce about 32,000 sales a year and 14 per cent of the large car market, the outlook for homegrown Mitsubishis could be grim.

At this stage though, it seems money well spent. Mitsubishi finally has a winning hand after years of spruiking tired models.

The diamond brand asserts its new local hero is high on quality and agility. Both claims are largely true. The 380's overall build is a match for any rival. The interior finish, and ergonomics, are not as convincing.

On-road it has plenty to offer. The 380 is the smoothest, quietest Australian-made car. It also features beaut bump absorption and dutiful damping, although Ford's Falcon is just as faithful.

The radically revamped 3.8-litre V6 pulls strongly while changes from the five-speed sequential transmission are clean and timely. The only performance niggle is a braked towing capacity of 1600kg where rear-wheel-drive rivals stretch beyond 2000kg.

The 380 is a front-wheel-drive car with a sporty bent. Its grip and stability are highly attuned, steering is precise and mid-corner bumps rarely corrupt cornering. Traction control is not standard though.

Class-leading security and lower emissions combine to lift 380's design stocks although a minimalist level of active safety aids hampers its safety score.

Inside, and despite a swoopy rear roofline, there's ample room for three adults to occupy the rear seat. Seating in both rows is comfortable and supportive.

Mitsubishi's vault in value includes a mighty warranty while its maintenance, repair and insurance outlays are low. There are, however, dramas with its depreciation costs.

Hyundai's impressive V6 Sonata almost steals the show.

Another long warranty, swags of features and a strong showing in design signal the Korean brand's intents. Sonata is safe, comfortable, well built and spacious.

On the road this import scores well, though its international suspension tune and handling characteristics are not as assured as some local legends.

Ford's BA II Falcon, not the BF which contends in 2006, is untroubled by its rivals for dynamic qualities, but slips back in crucial categories such as safety and running and repair costs.

Top 5

Mitsubishi 380, Hyundai Sonata Elite, Ford Falcon XT BA Series II, Holden Commodore VZ Executive, Toyota Camry Altise Ltd.
Old 23-11-2005, 01:43 AM   #12
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I liked it... Personal preference I guess. I think the exterior looks fantastic.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 02:17 AM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I have nothing against the exterior, its actually quite nice. But I was in a base model 380 and it was quite depressing to be in.

Anyway this is about ford, ill leave the 380 alone for now :
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-11-2005, 08:22 AM   #14
paul7v7
bring it on

Quote:

The Falcon certainly doesn't win on quality and fit either...
Old 23-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul7v7
The Falcon certainly doesn't win on quality and fit either...
true, but I was also talking about the feel and layout.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #16
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the Racv might be doing there bit in helping a struggling car company, I can not seriously see how they could turnaround their car that much.
Old 23-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #17
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
I reckon the Racv might be doing there bit in helping a struggling car company, I can not seriously see how they could turnaround their car that much.

Stupidest response ever...

RACV NRMA RACQ and RAA all voted on it...

You say you cannot see how they could turnaround their car that much....I can its called 600 Million dollars worth of investment....

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
paul7v7
bring it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
same could be said about Wheels voting the BA COTY as with this award where the falcon won it 2 years straight..I say congrats to Mitsu