The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #181
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: come on fordforumers!! buy a new falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Most would agree that AU is comfortably the worst looking Falcon ever built?... I hardly think so. The EA will take that honour IMHO, for uglyness and poor quality.
The EA was widely regarded at the time as being a stunner, and it won australian design awards. Although it has dated a lot now as you would expect, at the time of release its style was extremely well recieved. I've never heard of someone saying its ugly, let alone the ugliest Falcon ever. Quality was attrocious though. As much as I like the AU (well Fairmont/Ghia and XR's only), it definately will go down as the ugliest Falcon ever made in the eyes of the public. Especially the AU1 Forte. That never should have seen the light of day.

If only Ford had launched with the AUII instead of the AUI things might have been a lot different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
The man has a point.
To this day there are still 20,000 more AU's (239k vs 259k) on the road than there are BA's (they were both in production for 3 years), this goes to show that a car that has spent an extra 3 years on the road over the BA either sold a bucket load more or are just far more reliable, either way Ford must have done a good job...
AU was in production longer than BA, September 1998 till October 2002 Vs October 2002 till October 2005.

Basically 4 years Vs 3 for BA.
Old 17-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #182
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just recently ordered the new FG II XR6 ute. It's first car i've bought in 11 years. Finally got the kids off my hands. The new FG II has everything i'm looking for except for the styling of the Front Grille. But to me that's a cosmetic thing that can be changed at any time. The FG I has IMO the best looking front end.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #183
MelsGolf
Banned

The impact of a "dog" is felt in future sales, not immediately. AU was a definate game changer for the Falcon unfortunately.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #184
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

The last new falcon I brought I had it for 8mths and lost 20k trading it in on another new ford... never again
Old 17-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #185
HUNTER8

Why would you trade an 8 month old car in?
Old 18-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #186
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

With two utes in the house (and one panel van), we're starting to develop a need for a sedan. For those long trip where we wanna throw a bunch of stuff on the backseat, or one of us wants to have a comfy nap. Not so we can tote people round all over the place, done with that. Plus shopping in the utes is a pain in the a, till we get the boxes for the abck anywho.

Anyway, we were talking about this issue over the last few weeks, and with me starting on a nice and tidy grad wage, and Dave fairly well ingrained after his ten years at his shop as a mechanic, we're going to look at either a GS, or GTP sedan. Because we haven't had anything new, nice and shiny in awhile (utes excluded, and they both turned into work horses quite quickly).
Considering we're living on one wage, and will be bringing in more than double that after tax, we can afford it, and it might be our last chance to own a new FPV. So we're doin it.

tl;dr
Yes. By the end of the year.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Old 18-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #187
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Either way its horses for courses, the FG dosent do it for me, never has and a doubt it ever will, and no matter how good the new V8 engines are, I just dont want one, so I wouldnt throw down that kinda money on one. When I bought my GT-P, I had the choice of BF2 or FG, I couldnt own an FG then, just as I couldnt now.
Fair enough. Did you actually drive an FG though? I've owned / driven an AU2 XR6 VCT Ute, BA XR6T, BA XR8 Ute, FG XR6T(FG2 XR6T Ute on the way) - the FG is truly a class above the others.
Old 18-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #188
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo
I just recently ordered the new FG II XR6 ute. It's first car i've bought in 11 years. Finally got the kids off my hands. The new FG II has everything i'm looking for except for the styling of the Front Grille. But to me that's a cosmetic thing that can be changed at any time. The FG I has IMO the best looking front end.
Agreed, FG mkI front looks awesome. FG mkII not as good, but I could still own one coz the rest of the car rocks.

Bang for buck its the best power-economy-practical car u can get in the world.
Old 18-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #189
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
The last new falcon I brought I had it for 8mths and lost 20k trading it in on another new ford... never again
Really? You were surprised? Someone didnt do their homework before buying? If you bought a BF and then went to trade it in on an FG, it would be the only way it would loose that amount and if so ..... of course it would! You didnt realise this when you sold an 8 month car? Its called depreciation and if you cannot afford the depreciation, you couldnt afford the car in the first place. Certainly not a reason to buy again. They all do that!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #190
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
Why would you trade an 8 month old car in?
Because it drank to much fuel for the amount of K's I was doing at the time, was a BA XLS V8 ute couldnt get it under 20 to 100km traded on a ST170 Focus which would do 7 to 100.
Now have FGxr6 shopping trolley
Old 18-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #191
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not the new falcon I would have a problem with.
It's the company/dealership selling it.
Old 18-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #192
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
I have, actually. Drove both the base XT (5 speed) and the top of the range G6ET, both for extended periods of time. It was certainly quieter and more refined ride than the BF, but beyond that, there wasn't a noticeable increase in build quality, nor (turbo aside) was there any increase in driving pleasure.
I guess it comes down to perception. Owned two B series and now an FG. The FG is just miles ahead, IMO.
Old 18-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #193
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
Because it drank to much fuel for the amount of K's I was doing at the time, was a BA XLS V8 ute couldnt get it under 20 to 100km traded on a ST170 Focus which would do 7 to 100.
Now have FGxr6 shopping trolley
You'd have to drive ~100,000kms in the Focus just to offset the initial loss of trade - then I presume you traded the Focus for the XR6? (resulting in another depreciation loss). May have been cheaper keeping the Ute in the long run.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #194
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Its the little details that make the FG so much better, fit and finish is so much better, the fact you cant see the painted door frame (everything has a plastic cover/tape). The door rubbers are better, door close with a better sound.

Its amazing how far ahead of the BA the FG is.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #195
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
You'd have to drive ~100,000kms in the Focus just to offset the initial loss of trade - then I presume you traded the Focus for the XR6? (resulting in another depreciation loss). May have been cheaper keeping the Ute in the long run.
yes did over a 100...
And i would have got less trade in on the ute after 7yrs compared to the focus 16K, the ute would been under 10.
The idea when i traded the ute was to get a collectable car to keep long term ie the ST as there was only 140 on the oz market, thats a pretty rare ford in 20yrs time rarer than a phase3...
I could have kept the focus but had no where too store it long term and it would cost more on the morgage payments...
Old 18-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #196
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

not everyone can buy new right now.
In 2004 my parents did (BA XT, $30 000)
No way any of my family can do that now.
If they went below $25000 then i might consider.

Last edited by babyf6; 18-02-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: remembered the price
Old 18-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #197
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6
not everyone can buy new right now.
In 2004 my parents did (BA XT, $23000 i think)
No way any of my family can do that now.
If they went back to below $25000 then i might consider
The last time a new Falcon cost 25k was in the early 1990s. Good luck with that..
Old 18-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #198
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
The last time a new Falcon cost 25k was in the early 1990s. Good luck with that..
25 000 is a good price for the car, because it wouldn't cost more than 3/4 of that price to build. Then ford would sell more cars, more cars sold means more profit, more profit more stuff ford can create and upgrade to make a great car perfect
Old 18-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #199
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6
more cars sold means more profit,
so why are holden and mazda struggling financially?
Old 18-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #200
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so why are holden and mazda struggling financially?
Well Holden is apart of GM and they have been in trouble for a while.
Not sure about the mazda issue though, they seem to be fine to me.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #201
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
yes did over a 100...
And i would have got less trade in on the ute after 7yrs compared to the focus 16K, the ute would been under 10.
The idea when i traded the ute was to get a collectable car to keep long term ie the ST as there was only 140 on the oz market, thats a pretty rare ford in 20yrs time rarer than a phase3...
I could have kept the focus but had no where too store it long term and it would cost more on the morgage payments...
No disrepect but the ST170 will never be collectable, it wasn't that well regarded when new and no one knows what they are, part of the reason they hardly sold any of them.

XR5 Turbo was a big improvement but it will probably never be regarded as collectable either. A Focus RS on the otherhand, different story. That will be a collectable.
Old 19-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #202
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
Fair enough. Did you actually drive an FG though? I've owned / driven an AU2 XR6 VCT Ute, BA XR6T, BA XR8 Ute, FG XR6T(FG2 XR6T Ute on the way) - the FG is truly a class above the others.
Yeah I breifly drove an FG GT not long after I got my BF2 GT-P, when it was in for its freebie service. It was only a 20 min drive.

Heres my honest thoughts.. The 315 Boss felt a lot more lively than my Boss 302, even with low Klms on the 315. I only drove a GT tho, and the seats felt really soft compared to my GT-P ones, too soft for my liking, felt way softer than I remember BF2 normal GT seats feeling too, dunno why.. Rest of the interiour felt/looked a bit generic and didnt grab me at all. And I didnt really like how all the guages were crammed together in the cluster.. The stripes/decals were also another major dislike I had on the FG GT, but it looked a bit plane jane without em too..

While I was at the dealership, I also looked over a few XR's, and the G6E Turbo ones just to compare them all (didnt drive any of those tho), the XR's I thought the seat trim (non leather ones) felt and looked like old hession bags and irritated my skin, it was horrid and the povvo dash/monochrome screen looked very cheapish. The G6E's looked nice n styleish on the outside (probly the best looking of all the FG's IMHO), the inside job on these made the FG dash look half decent.. Overall it was a bit nicer, but available only in 6's and auto, so thats me 100% out..
I thought all the seats in all the FG's I sat in felt softer and diffrent to when I was trying out BF2 stuff a few months prior..

Old 19-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #203
Falcman0o7
Banned

This is a ford forum isn't it? So where are the fans of the falcon? Obviously not here. No wonder it's nearly dead.
Damned if they do damned if they don't.
What do you want? 15 litre V8s with 1000 kws and 2000 Nm torque and 1 litre fuel usage per 100k?
No wonder the falcons near dead with so many so called fans like most of you guy's.
maybe they should bring the XYGTHO back for 35k? Areodynamic, great fuel economy, the option of seat belts and a 12% chance of survival in an accident.
It never seems to change regardless of fords efforts, makes me sick.

Baaaa baaaa.......
Old 19-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #204
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

We are all ford/falcon fans here, but not all of us are just going to ignore the facts, or over look whats happening.

Infact, i bet 100% of us here would like to see the falcon continue here in australia, in whatever shape or form it might take.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #205
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
This is a ford forum isn't it? So where are the fans of the falcon? Obviously not here. No wonder it's nearly dead.
Damned if they do damned if they don't.
What do you want? 15 litre V8s with 1000 kws and 2000 Nm torque and 1 litre fuel usage per 100k?
No wonder the falcons near dead with so many so called fans like most of you guy's.
maybe they should bring the XYGTHO back for 35k? Areodynamic, great fuel economy, the option of seat belts and a 12% chance of survival in an accident.
It never seems to change regardless of fords efforts, makes me sick.

Baaaa baaaa.......
yeah with such a bold statement you must be doing your bit to help keep the current falcon viable by driving your ED.......... oh wait....
Old 19-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #206
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
yeah with such a bold statement you must be doing your bit to help keep the current falcon viable by driving your ED.......... oh wait....
Maybe that's because i can't afford one~!
Now run along and polish your captiva.
Old 19-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #207
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I cant afford a new falcon even the fg 2 xt is too expensive. I will keep my ba xr6t for a few more years thanks.

Last edited by blackf6; 19-02-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 19-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #208
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
I'm a fan! Bought my first Ford late last year after owning a string of Hyundai's through the late 80's and early nighties. Then a string of Subaru's through the nineties and 2000's. And now onto a Ford Falcon.

Great car for the money.
Old 19-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #209
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Maybe that's because i can't afford one~!
Now run along and polish your captiva.

This thread has run its course
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Closed Thread