Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
JFJ
Starter Motor

Default Ideal Highway Speed - 07 Fiesta Zetec

Hi All - just a quick question...

I am driving to Brisbane from Sydney next week and am wondering the best speed for fuel economy.

I think I will take the New England highway which I am assuming is 110km/h but I know my 2007 Fiesta Zetec is quite high on the RPM over 90km/h

Has anyone found the ideal highway cruising speed for these cars?

I seem to get around 500km from a tank with city driving....

Thanks!

JFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
trumpy73

Default Re: Ideal Highway Speed - 07 Fiesta Zetec

50kph - To save max fuel
90kph - To save on fuel without falling sleep at the wheel

Personally I'd do the speed limit as the couple of bucks you save isn't worth the trouble.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

90-100 is the most economical while still moving at a decent rate.
& turn the aircon off. That's the worst thing for fuel economy in a small car.
I average about 600km per tank, can do better on a long run driving sensibly.
Old 15-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

For best fuel economy 50-70kmh. Of course at this speed you will fall asleep at the wheel and crash. I'd stick to 110km, so you a) stay awake and b) don't get written off. At 130-140kmh in my WS with 17 in wheels the cars pulling almost 4000rpm, which you really don't want to do for a long period of time.

Of course, a 6th gear would help, hey Ford?
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

If you're seriously concerned about the fuel usage you could try this, but you might need to leave now if you want to get there in time for Christmas lunch

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
JFJ
Starter Motor

I like the bike option for best economy too!

The car had an A service at 60000km and is currently sitting on 65000kms - do I need to get anything looked at before setting off?
Old 15-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

As the car has just had a service I would think just check over the usual things, fluid levels (oil, coolant, windscreen washer, brake), wiper blades, tyre pressures (including spare) jack and tools all in place ? Also make sure all your lights are working. Have a safe trip
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Also, if you encounter rain some rain-x (or similar) does wonders to keep the screen clear.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
FTRXR8

Mine sat very nicely from Adelaide to the Nullabor and return at a very decent rate of knots. . . .

Fuel isnt an issue in a Fiesta.
FTRXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
JFJ
Starter Motor

Just thought I would let you all know that it ran brilliantly.

About 3500rpm on 110km/h but I ended up taking Buckets Way/Thunderbold Way (@ 90-100km/h) which I highly recommend between Sydney and Brisbane and loved ever minute of the drive. Also cut about 1.5 hours off going by the new england highway according to my tom tom.

I think I was roughly sitting on 700km per tank at that speed which I am pretty happy with..
Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
Caydus

Hehe, I still reckon the Fiesta is the best small car to be cruising on the highway with. What kind of fuel economy did you get?
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post