Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Freaky chain of events?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-1...driver/3724464

Quote:
Driver hurt in chaotic tanker explosion

Updated December 11, 2011 13:27:33
Map: Rowville 3178

Worksafe has revealed a bizarre chain of events led to a petrol tanker explosion in Melbourne's south-east that left the driver badly burned.

The 35-year-old driver was refuelling underground storage about 1:00am at a petrol station at the intersection of Wellington and Stud Roads in Rowville, when the fuel began to leak down a hill.

The fuel then somehow ignited, causing two cars to catch fire and explode, while a P-plate driver who witnessed the blasts crashed his car.

The fire then travelled back up to the petrol tanker causing it to burst into flames, burning the driver's arms and legs.

The driver is in the Alfred Hospital in a critical but stable condition.

Worksafe spokeswoman Lisa Sturzenegger says investigators are looking for an ignition source and analysing the weather conditions at the time.

"Last night, with the weather the way it was, there was lightning, there was rain," she said.

"That certainly assisted the fuel travelling down the hill, because of the rain. But we look at all angles, this is routine work and there are a number of safe practices that need to be adhered to."

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) spokesman Peter Shaw says the whole driveway was on fire.

"The risk was extremely high and we're very lucky that nobody else was injured," he said.

"For the people that were here it would have been a very traumatic and chaotic scene."

Mr Shaw says patrons of a nearby hotel had to be evacuated when burning fuel from the tanker spread, damaging several cars along the way.

"The fuel from the tanker was running down the driveway from the petrol station down into the driveway of the hotel," he said.

"That then went 100 metres down that driveway and it actually got to the point of burning the side of the building."

The Environment Protection Authority is also investigating whether any fuel has run into nearby waterways.

Traffic is expected to be affected for another four hours.

How bizzare indeed! Try explaining that to the insurance people?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Freaky chain of events?

Pretty freaky , why did the fuel start running down the hill ?
Somedays maybe its better to stay in bed lol
( but seriously, hope the guy comes through ok . )
Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i saw the news footage, hopefully the driver will recover, i saw the gas tanks and was thinking huge explosion, scarey stuff.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

It's rare that there would be a fuel leak, especially enough to run down a hill.
Someone will get their backside kicked for sure.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Obviously if the fuel was leaking the driver wasn't following all the correct procedures. The only way would be if the actual compartment tell tale was leaking that bad. But if it was, you would of noticed it whilst loading the truck in the terminal. My interpretation on the incident was that the driver was not standing by the vehicle whilst unloading thus he didn't stop the leak as he was un aware. And further more he shouldn't have been unloading in a thunder storm regardless. I'm glad that wasn't me . I wouldn't show my face back at work. There are so many procedures to follow to prevent any spill from occurring that the simple explanation is that procedures weren't adhered to.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
... why did the fuel start running down the hill ?
gravity!

Old 13-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
blk6t

reminds me of the "Final Destination" movies, there is always stuff like that happening in those movies. Then the survivors end up all dead eventually.
Old 13-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

It was horrible. Looked like something out of a movie set. Poor people involved. Then I drove to Safeway petrol in dandy a day later in my own car and what do I see? A women in the car next to me, window down in the passenger seat having a smoke while her husband fills up!

I just couldn't believe it.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_BA2003
It was horrible. Looked like something out of a movie set. Poor people involved. Then I drove to Safeway petrol in dandy a day later in my own car and what do I see? A women in the car next to me, window down in the passenger seat having a smoke while her husband fills up!

I just couldn't believe it.
These people are not just a danger to themselves but to others too!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post