Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #31
gtfpv
GT

Default Re: BBC apologises (again) for Jeremy Clarkson remarks

i love the way lowly paid people ( as in living month to month ) like most of us , support the wealthy by saying things like , the country cant afford to look after the average people , only the wealthy . LOL . ONE DAY PEOPLE WHO SAY THIS WILL SUFFER AND GET BITTEN ON THE ARRRSE BY NATURAL CIRCUMSTANCES BIGTIME . ( braindead )
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Good on him. Clarkson= Legend IMO even before this.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #33
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I wouldn't like someone making jokes about my pay cuts, who would ?. (Especially from someone who is rolling in it)

Well it has happened to you - you have an effective pay cut and it's called CARBON TAX.

I hope you're just as indignant towards the perpetrator of this especially as this person has just helped herself to a $90K a year pay increase....
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #34
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Well it has happened to you - you have an effective pay cut and it's called CARBON TAX.

I hope you're just as indignant towards the perpetrator of this especially as this person has just helped herself to a $90K a year pay increase....

My sentiments exactly, I love how everytime a new tax is introduced its debated over and there is always a group trying to explain how its good for us, heres a newsflash people, the government will only ever do what is in THEIR best intrests at the time, not the countries...

That 90k just goes to prove the point...
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

This isnt about politics thanks.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #36
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
What ever happened to the poms sence of humour???
During the late 18th and 19th century, most of the comedians and larrikins of the time were transported over to a little known place called "OZtrail-e-ahh"
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #37
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Comedians are always trying to push boundaries (buttons), he hasn't found it yet so he'll push on. The union should be thanking him, his just drawn more attention to the lazy ****** than a month of industrial action.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #38
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

People are too easily offended by Clarkson's (and many others) comments...the PC generation has really killed any kind of humourous interlude on the tv, in the street...everywhere...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #39
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love Jeremys way of thinking its what makes him everyone should just relax its just a joke, I remember once jeremy almost lost his job for saying speeding in the bugatti veyron was the best speeding ticket he got and it was worth it
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #40
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Oh bollocks.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #41
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Don't get me started !!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #42
bungarra

Money can't buy you love.

Now re-written for UK Public Sector workers:

Money can't buy you a sense of humour.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #43
BlueFG2

why are people so serious? It was obviously a joke, but i guess there are always people who like to spoil the fun
BlueFG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #44
jjw
powered by Ford

The beeb should just issue a standard statement every week apologising for whatever it was that Clarkson said, all the while raking in the royalties from the Top Gear franchise.

Re the austerity measures, people don't seem to get that a Government (any Government) can't spend more than it earns in the long run. For a few years perhaps, but at some point the debt has to be repaid, which means cutting expenditure and/or raising revenue. Its not rocket science, but it is painful when it impacts real people really badly.
jjw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #45
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Someone contact the BBC and see if they would swap Jeremy Clarkson for Kyle Sandilands
Fantastic trade in my book.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #46
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To the protestors I'd say take a joke you miserable buggers...he's just given you a heap of free publicity...remember the storm of controversy after he made some wise-cracks about Mexico and the quality (or otherwise) of the cars we could expect out of them...high government officials in that country were getting involved, outrage was causing anger all over the shop.
Just after that at the Top Gear Live show in Brissy, at the start of the show Clarkson and May thanked the audience for the warm welcome everyone gave them in Oz..."Better than the reception we're going to get in Mexico...", and the audience cracked up laughing and clapping. We didn't all go "Ooooooo", in hushed tones and making comments about "You intolerant and insensitive man!"...we laughed, as we were supposed to...I assume a Mexican audience would laugh if he had just come from Australia and started making jokes about us. We laughed because we knew it was a joke, and we also laughed when he made fun of Australian cars, the way we spoke, and the weather. That's what a "comedy" event is like.
When that same presenter shows that when off-stage he is also making jokes and wise-cracks on subjects, still very much in character, wer also laugh. Too many "funny" people show themselves to be desperately unfunny people-hating nasty bastards when away from the cameras.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I cracked up when I heard what he said. Its just so classic JC, and he's so deadpan in his delivery.

How the hell could anyone think he was serious?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #48
mildxe

and he has done it again lol

British Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson is embroiled in further controversy after branding people who throw themselves under trains as "selfish".

The 51-year-old, who was forced to apologise this week after saying all striking workers should be shot, reiterated his view that those who commit suicide at railway stations cause "immense" disruption for commuters.

In his column in The Sun newspaper, Clarkson said: "I have the deepest sympathy for anyone whose life is so mangled and messed up that they believe death's icy embrace will be better.

"However, every year around 200 people decide that the best way to go is by hurling themselves in front of a speeding train. In some ways they are right. This method has a 90 per cent success rate and it's extremely quick.

"However, it is a very selfish way to go because the disruption it causes is immense. And think what it's like for the poor train driver who sees you lying on the line and can do absolutely nothing to avoid a collision."

Later in the article the presenter refers to those who choose to jump in front of trains as "Johnny Suicide" and argues that following a death, trains should continue on their journeys as soon as possible.

He adds: "The train cannot be removed nor the line re-opened until all of the victim's body has been recovered. And sometimes the head can be half a mile away from the feet.

"Change the driver, pick up the big bits of what's left of the victim, get the train moving as quickly as possible and let foxy woxy and the birds nibble away at the smaller, gooey parts that are far away or hard to find."

The comments have sparked criticism among suicide and mental health charities.

Paul Farmer, chief executive of Mind, described the comments as "extraordinarily tasteless", especially in the wake of the death of footballer Gary Speed.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I think it's extraordinarily tasteless in its tone. I think there will be many people who have lost loved ones to suicide and people who have contemplated suicide that will think it is in extremely bad taste.

"It stands out like a sore thumb from what is increasingly a more supportive approach to suicide by the media. People will feel like he is trivialising the subject and dismissing people who have taken their own lives."

Mr Farmer added: "This is a man who really doesn't understand what he is talking about."

The latest controversy comes in the wake of comments Clarkson made during BBC1's The One Show in which he said striking workers "should be shot".

Speaking about public sector workers who took industrial action, he said: "I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.

"I mean, how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living?"

Clarkson had first criticised train suicides during the same One Show appearance.
Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.
mildxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #49
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a train driver...I kind of agree that it's a pretty bloody selfish way to step out.
One old guy I work with has been driving for nearly forty years, and still is haunted by the memory of something that happened 25 years ago. He was driving the coal train along through a small town, saw something on the track up ahead (at night) and stood to look through the windscreen to get a better look, and saw it was a guy lying on the track between the rails. Just as the train got to him (when they had already hit the emergency brakes and you are just a passenger until the train eventually stops), the guy sat up and looked straight at the driver. He said he still has that guys face in his mind now.
I've had a few close calls at level crossings, but that's just people being idiots and too impatient to take five minutes of of thier busy day to wait for the train to come past before driving across. That's different to someone walking in front of you.
The guys I work with who previously drove for mobs like city train in Brisbane say it used to happen about once a month, probably more in Sydney, but they don't widely publicise it in case it encourages even more people to try it. The effects on drivers is staggering...some never drive again, some turn to drink, some however can shrug it off. The advice they give us in train driving school is that if someone looks like they're about to walk in front of you or jump, close your eyes and don't look, so you "won't see thier face in your nightmares".

Maybe if more people knew what a horrifying and definately not 100% certain way of killing yourself, less people would try it, and maybe what Clarkson said had to be said by someone...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #50
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Maybe if more people knew what a horrifying and definately not 100% certain way of killing yourself, less people would try it, and maybe what Clarkson said had to be said by someone...
I think I agree with you on that one. I read recently of this young man who killed himself by jumping off the Westgate Bridge. The bridge authority and police never publicise suicides that occur at the bridge or all the bodies they pull out of the river in an effort to discourage people from doing so, but reading about this man's agonising death is enough to put anyone off. After jumping off the bridge he was alive for at least an hour before he eventually passed away in the arms of paramedics. Legs broken and bones sticking out, lying amongst weeds and rubbish, there are better ways to die.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #51
No.6

Why should i pay the stupid qld flood levy? Who's bright idea was that? They should be lined up and shot on the spot for such a crappy decision!

btw, that was sarcastic. So no one has the right to get offended by my comment. But, problem is someone somewhere will be offended. Its the same with clarksons comment. Sure it was a joke, but the people its about took offence to it.

Last edited by No.6; 04-12-2011 at 01:25 AM.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
As a train driver...I kind of agree that it's a pretty bloody selfish way to step out.
One old guy I work with has been driving for nearly forty years, and still is haunted by the memory of something that happened 25 years ago. He was driving the coal train along through a small town, saw something on the track up ahead (at night) and stood to look through the windscreen to get a better look, and saw it was a guy lying on the track between the rails. Just as the train got to him (when they had already hit the emergency brakes and you are just a passenger until the train eventually stops), the guy sat up and looked straight at the driver. He said he still has that guys face in his mind now.
I've had a few close calls at level crossings, but that's just people being idiots and too impatient to take five minutes of of thier busy day to wait for the train to come past before driving across. That's different to someone walking in front of you.
The guys I work with who previously drove for mobs like city train in Brisbane say it used to happen about once a month, probably more in Sydney, but they don't widely publicise it in case it encourages even more people to try it. The effects on drivers is staggering...some never drive again, some turn to drink, some however can shrug it off. The advice they give us in train driving school is that if someone looks like they're about to walk in front of you or jump, close your eyes and don't look, so you "won't see thier face in your nightmares".

My Grandpa was a train driver and had some horrible memories of stuff like this.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #53
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildxe
British Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson is embroiled in further controversy after branding people who throw themselves under trains as "selfish".
...and in this case, I completely agree with him.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #54
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
...and in this case, I completely agree with him.
Me too...
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #55
Lazy Peac*ck EB

Lighten up!!

Ma Project Car Now

Grandpa ED with ma hectic louvres, LPG, stock as she goes, surprisingly reliable and goes ****in hard on gas!

Toy Car

XF UTE with XR6 Headlights, Chromed 12 Slotters, 4.1L 250 Crossflow, Triple Holley Carbs, Stage 4 Crow Cam, Extractors, 3" Exhaust, Yella Terra Roller Rockers, 5 Speed TREMEC Manual Box, 3.45 9" LSD. SOLD :(

Come at me Holden.
Lazy Peac*ck EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #56
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Me too...
Me three! After being at the butt-end of a 3 hour peak hour delay on Sydneys train lines thanks to some idiot taking a swan dive off a bridge in front of a train in Summer on a non-aircon carriage..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #57
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I think I agree with you on that one. I read recently of this young man who killed himself by jumping off the Westgate Bridge. The bridge authority and police never publicise suicides that occur at the bridge or all the bodies they pull out of the river in an effort to discourage people from doing so, but reading about this man's agonising death is enough to put anyone off. After jumping off the bridge he was alive for at least an hour before he eventually passed away in the arms of paramedics. Legs broken and bones sticking out, lying amongst weeds and rubbish, there are better ways to die.
I knew the young man in question, I used to work with his dad and uncle. Very heartbreaking.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #58
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Me three! After being at the butt-end of a 3 hour peak hour delay on Sydneys train lines thanks to some idiot taking a swan dive off a bridge in front of a train in Summer on a non-aircon carriage..
Whatever you went through I'm sure he was doing it was worse for him to do what he did.

I've had two suicides in my family. Not something to joke about.

I wonder if the mods would have deleted similar comments (by JC) If they were posted here. I've seen things deleted that seemed far tamer in comparison.

People may like JC for the way he is, still doesn't excuse for being a DH sometimes though.