Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #31
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: GS Test Drive - Brisbane

Well I'm getting a quote tomorrow for the F6, it's slightly more expensive than the GS but if I can find a nice demo it should come in around the same price.

Hopefully it all works out and I'll be back in black ..... or Vanish
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
It felt more like a camry steeping back into my v8 after a test drive of the Gs and f6
Think that's cause of the bi-modal exhaust. Disconnecting that would solve the problem.
Old 27-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Well I'm getting a quote tomorrow for the F6, it's slightly more expensive than the GS but if I can find a nice demo it should come in around the same price.

Hopefully it all works out and I'll be back in black ..... or Vanish
How good does the F6 in Vanish look on the showroom floor.

No problem about the referral, they are great bunch of guys to deal with... Help me no end.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #34
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Senior pointed out the one in Vanish once we got back, I had even looked at it while I was waiting but didn't twig it wasn't just black.

Looked at the side of the car where the light was hitting it and nearly fell over, pretty much sold me on the spot. Was hoping I could score a demonstrator model but it doesn't look like they have them in that colour :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Think that's cause of the bi-modal exhaust. Disconnecting that would solve the problem.
MY car felt like a camry haha. GS and F6 are in another class, the old LS1 does sound beefier but I've got a modified exhaust... no hope in the power figures though, it's been depressing to drive a V8 without that sort of grunt
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
MY car felt like a camry haha. GS and F6 are in another class, the old LS1 does sound beefier but I've got a modified exhaust... no hope in the power figures though, it's been depressing to drive a V8 without that sort of grunt
Haha, read back. Never mind.
Old 28-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #36
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Senior pointed out the one in Vanish once we got back, I had even looked at it while I was waiting but didn't twig it wasn't just black.

Looked at the side of the car where the light was hitting it and nearly fell over, pretty much sold me on the spot. Was hoping I could score a demonstrator model but it doesn't look like they have them in that colour :(

I was originally looking at black as well until Senior pointed out the Vanish GT they had..just had to have it and now i love it..best colour.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #37
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
$50K changeover would get you a nice twin-turbo setup on the LS1 (my personal bias though .. being another SV8 owner)

Interesting reading. Are you pushing for an upgrade more because your current SV8 just feels "old" (i.e. stuff breaking, rattles, squeaks, etc), or do you just want more power ... or do you just want a change?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #38
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

OzJavelin, I've wanted a VY since they were released (I was 11 at the time haha) so I've fulfilled a sort of childhood dream as such. Love the car and enjoy driving it however the age is really showing on her. It's all the little things you wish you had (power windows a big one!) that detract from the experience.

As well as this it's due to my personal circumstances likely to change soon I need something with a decent safety rating that the gf can also drive.

I am in the fortunate position to upgrade and while I'd love a TTLS1 it doesn't fit the bill. The F6 gives me the fun factor, safety factor and luxury factor while being a sedate or monster of a car.
Old 28-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #39
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

you're getting sensible in your old age gsau

also there's some kind of FG around my area (can't remember if it's an xr8 or a gs or what) but the driver has removed his headrest.
Old 28-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #40
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep .. having good brakes, more than two airbags, decent crash protection and DSC would have significant safety improvements over the old VY.

Interesting about the F6 over the GS though. Typically a "V8 guy" is always a V8 guy and will prefer to go slow in a V8 rather than fast in anything else?

Oh ..thanks for mentioning that you were 11yo when VYs came out (2002?) .. makes me feel REALLY old .. :(
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #41
DANNO178

Quote:
I think I need to stay away from the GT, I'll end up driving it and wanting it instead of the GS!

What I'm after:
Thas one very nice looking car there, just wondering how the f6 brakes felt compared to the black beast above. You would think that if you had the money surely they could put the gt or f6 brakes on a gs . And good luck with your new car.
DANNO178 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #42
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Oh ..thanks for mentioning that you were 11yo when VYs came out (2002?) .. makes me feel REALLY old .. :(
I thought the exact same thing :(
Old 28-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #43
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Haha my apologies to you all, I seem to have that effect at work as well (not that'd I'd ever rub it in )

I thought I would be a V8 fan for life once I got the VY, but honestly the supercharger on the GS just made it feel the same, but different.

It was a thrill ride, a very linear, predictable experience that lacked all refinement with a maximum "in your face" factor. With a decent exhaust it would make for a more pleasent audible experience, however for me it reminded me of what the SV8 is, a screaming engine with an entry level car wrapped around it.

Once I had a burn in the F6 it was that "revolutionary" ride I was hoping for. Handling was good, power was good, comfort was good. Hit the loud pedal in the F6 and it's like a ballistic missile on crack which performs the task of turning rubber into smoke with dizzying efficiency, step off and the satisfying sneeze of an angry turbo bursts though the waste gate. The brakes actually felt like they suited the car and the handling was second to none without the extra few hundred kgs.

I'm sure the GT would rectify some of these issues but at $30k more it's not within reach.
Old 28-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #44
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Haha my apologies to you all, I seem to have that effect at work as well (not that'd I'd ever rub it in )

I thought I would be a V8 fan for life once I got the VY, but honestly the supercharger on the GS just made it feel the same, but different.

It was a thrill ride, a very linear, predictable experience that lacked all refinement with a maximum "in your face" factor. With a decent exhaust it would make for a more pleasent audible experience, however for me it reminded me of what the SV8 is, a screaming engine with an entry level car wrapped around it.

Once I had a burn in the F6 it was that "revolutionary" ride I was hoping for. Handling was good, power was good, comfort was good. Hit the loud pedal in the F6 and it's like a ballistic missile on crack which performs the task of turning rubber into smoke with dizzying efficiency, step off and the satisfying sneeze of an angry turbo bursts though the waste gate. The brakes actually felt like they suited the car and the handling was second to none without the extra few hundred kgs.

I'm sure the GT would rectify some of these issues but at $30k more it's not within reach.
GT is only 10 kay more... 55 kay for F6 and 65 for GT if you shop about....

Id go the F6, great car with cheaper rego and cheaper fuel.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #45
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

So at this stage the accountant has given me the go-ahead.

Called up FPV and they have one left in vanish that has the auto. Now it's just a race to get the paperwork sorted in time as it's got some little extras the others haven't (i.e. leather).
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #46
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Quote:

Senior then decided to demonstrate how it was "more fun" than the GS while we were waiting at the light.... and with a stomp of the foot and a rush that threw me back into my seat we were at the other side of the intersection and my heart became firmly planted in my throat.

I then got a turn and going under a bridge it sounded like I was in a fighter jet, the noise is nothing like a v8, something unique and individual all to itself.

I have to say, I'm converted, it's a totally different driving experience and one I think I'll want to have on a daily basis.

GSAU
As I got to the end and read the last bit I had a evil grin and laugh.

also only ever driving manual and loving V8's I now too have a woooosh vehicle.