Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question What chickens to get? (srsly)

We've decided we are going to get 2 maybe 3 chickens for our yard. For no other reason than because we can, but also for eggs and to keep some of the insects and other junk in the garden down. We will be getting hens for laying only and will have the run of our backyard which is a typical 1960's size suburban back yard (i.e. big)

Question for those who have chooks: is there any particular breed that is better than others for laying? We don't want 50 billion eggs a day, but we don't want 3 slack *** hens that do stuff all but eat all the time either. We have been told that certain varieties of chook are better layers than others, and have a longer lifespan (we don't want to get hens that only have a 12 month lifespan).

Anything else I should know? We've got a chook run in the works so that's covered.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: What chickens to get? (srsly)

ISA Browns are good laying hens
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate you want "Darling Downs" chickens they lay on average an egg a day
and are mainly brown and white. there is also special feed you can get called shell grit this helps with calcium levels and ou just mix it with regular chook feed
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
ISA Browns are good laying hens
What's their longevity like?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 30-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most chooks can live long lives if treated well and in the right habitat (nothing too stressful and away from chook eating dogs) but we tend to rotate our chickens every 2 years so when there 2 y.o we have some of the best chicken you'll ever eat mmmmmm.
Old 31-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We rent a house on egg farm, theres approx 4000 barn laying chooks I have nothing to do with the noisy little buggas esp at 5.30AM. They last for about 2 years then get their necks stretched and finish up at dump. They are not good for meat, but as I said these are commercial.
Incidentally this farm is only 1 of 2 that are approved by both RSPCAand Egg Authority in South OZ

In South Oz these are the ISA brown.
Its going to depend where you live, different breeds for different states. Check with RSPCA or someone with qualified experience.

While NOT demeaning the comments posted so far there is often so many half arsed comments that really know chook ****** about anuthing. Yes I agree its good to get peoples opinions and feedback but sometimes we need to think rationally and get qualified experience.

Rant over.
Old 31-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
FCleader
John

Not sure if it's still possible to do this, but my girlfriends parents rescued some chooks from a battery egg farm, they were free I think. Anyway they lay at least 1 egg a day and have lived quite good long lives since then and you get to feel good about yourself.
FCleader is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCleader
Not sure if it's still possible to do this, but my girlfriends parents rescued some chooks from a battery egg farm, they were free I think. Anyway they lay at least 1 egg a day and have lived quite good long lives since then and you get to feel good about yourself.
How long though? I've heard that they are bred to cark it after 12-18 months and that's when they replenish their stock, although it could be an old wives tale as Tonz alluded to.

Old 31-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
How long though? I've heard that they are bred to cark it after 12-18 months and that's when they replenish their stock, although it could be an old wives tale as Tonz alluded to.
Never heard of chooks being bred to fall off the perch that soon (happy to be proven otherwise of course!). All the chooks I had growing up have lived for 7-10 years.

I tell ya what... NOTHING beats your own free range eggs.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
BAXR8_Ute

Most chooks live for a fair few years but the laying will slow down after a while which is why people get rid of em. I've had ISA browns before and they had no problems... Except they couldn't take on a dog.
Old 31-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having 9 chooks here
Not sure on variety, 7 off one type , 2 others are different again
3 we bought local , the other 5 were the neighbours give to us when they moved house
We can get up to 1 egg each per day, never any more than 1 each per day
But depending on the climate, weather,ect we can get none a day
They rome the yard every arvo , we feed them a bag of laying mash every week , about $20 odd, they get lucerne as a floor covering every month or so

The chook manure and left over floor lucerne gets put threw a mulcher (nice n fine) and put back in the vegie gardens
Weve had ours gotta be over 2 years and still lay good enuf for us,but its not just the eggs we have them for
They eat anything, even weeds from the garden
Like a mobile processing station
Unwanted product in, wanted product out
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
They eat anything, even weeds from the garden Like a mobile processing station Unwanted product in, wanted product out
This is another reason we want them, weeds and winter grass can be quite uncontrollable with a large block and in summer we seem to get a spider, ant and cockroach infestation that takes ages (and litres of pesticides) to get under control - especially redback spiders, I killed 15 of the bastards in one day last year. The chooks would have a field day with all that insect matter and seeding grass all over the place.

Old 31-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have ISA browns (light brown gingery colour), australorp (black/blue) and white leghorn. My favourite is the australorp. They are a stronger and more attarctive bird than most others and are consistently good layers of good sized eggs.

ISA's maybe a shade ahead in terms of numbers but there aint much in it and ISA's being a smaller bird will give you smaller eggs.

Have you thought about maybe getting one of each of three varieties? No need to get three of the same as they will all get along.
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
FCleader
John

Quote:
Definitely an old wives tale, the chooks are still alive today and were adopted 7 or 8 years ago. They get rid of the chooks because they no longer lay the required amount of eggs per day after 2 years approx, so the company loses productivity.

However, you may have to wait a week before you get any eggs, as the chooks that were rescued spent about a week just laying in the sun with their wings spread because they had never done it before.
FCleader is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The gf has bantams which are very easy too look after, lets it out in the yard for the day, back in at night.

Pretty much keeps to itself and lays about 3 - 5 eggs a week I guess.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevlah
Have you thought about maybe getting one of each of three varieties? No need to get three of the same as they will all get along.
Sounds like a great idea and probably what we will end up doing. Now to get cracking and build a chook shed!

Old 31-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #17
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would you like pics for inspiration and ideas???
Old 31-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Youll definately notice the difference in taste with free range well fed chooks!

Had chooks when i was a kid and each one would lay at least two eggs a day.

These days I have shop bought eggs, but these are from Charters Towers and honestly taste great when compared to eggs sold at woolies or coles...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #19
gtfpv
GT

i always get the free range ones .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb-fairmont
would you like pics for inspiration and ideas???
like this..???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LK9JIVUHaM
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #21
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I said before its the ISA are a great layer but they wont do well in Darwin too b hot (for anything )
If free range they will last for years but USUALLy battery & barn hens do have a shorter life span or desire to live.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea and probably what we will end up doing. Now to get cracking and build a chook shed!
Ive got 2 pens
One is an old caravan with the windows out and wire mesh put up
One is a tray/cage of an old truck, wire covered sides and corro roof,steel floor easy to clean
Ive done them in both mobile situations so they can be moved rather easy
Skies the limit really,something old and rustic, or something that blends in with the rest of the buildings on the land
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah all I'm going to do is go to a salvage yard and get some 2nd hand jarrah rafters and corrugated iron and knock a rectangular pen up.