Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #31
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Ford ad slams Chrysler, GM bailouts

Not a fan of the ad.
They could have gone a better angle than sinking to this.

Ford did also investigate taking government bailout too.
I do applaud them for not taking it and it seems to have paid off greatly, the public seem to respect them for it too. I don't see the need for them to scrape the bottom of the barrel with these kind of ads. There is also the fact that Chrysler paid back its loans via the merger with Fiat.

Try again Ford.
Old 19-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #32
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The ad will work fine. It's hard to explain without actually spending real time there but the Americans love this kind of stuff that would have us (as many above have noted) cringing.

If we just remember that nothing is too kitsch, trite, banal or patriotic for the tastes of middle America then you'll have an idea.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #33
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
There is still a lot of seething hatred for GM in the US, the goverrnment is looking at taking
close to a $15 billion bath on its stock while GM sits pretty with $32 billion cash at hand..
GM is now profitable and many are asking why the government is getting shafted while
GM feels no obligation to do the right thing and cover any short fall.
GM 'New GM' are trying to say that they are a different company now and dont need to honour warranties from the 'old' GM.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77I0Z820110819

It entirely depends on which angle you take these quotes from. On one hand they sound like they are very proud of their chosen manufacturer, but on the other they sound like they are laying a boot in. But as pointed out by Russ, that's from Australian eyes. I dont know how the yanks think about things like this.
Old 19-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #34
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The ad will work fine. It's hard to explain without actually spending real time there but the Americans love this kind of stuff that would have us (as many above have noted) cringing.

If we just remember that nothing is too kitsch, trite, banal or patriotic for the tastes of middle America then you'll have an idea.

Cheers
Russ

100% correct.
Whilst some here correctly view it as being a little below the belt and unsporting, Americans will lap it up because they take their nation and its financial woes very very seriously. Patriotism is alive and well in the USA right now, and according to opinion polls the Obama administration who administered the bailouts is about as popular as speed cameras.
It's definately needed as Ford often gets grouped into the "US Automakers - bailouts" catchcry and they need to ensure the average American disassociates Ford with that classification. It's incredibly educational and in a land where they're on hard times, patriotism and standing up for what they believe is the right thing to do will conquer any dissention of the message.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #35
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Americans will love the ad for sure. They hate government bailouts, whereas here in Aus, we always seem to expect the government to fix our woes.

That is a fundamental difference between our two nations and whilst such ads here would probably flop, in the US, they will boost sales.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/16/a...ailout-w-poll/

Seems the poll on the autoblog website seems to be in favour of the ad.
Old 19-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #37
JG34JA

Gotta admit I am still stunned when I think of the fate of the GM bondholders...

Let the ad run, if you were smart/lucky enough to secure finance at cheap rates before the GFC hit, and still remain listed and independently owned/run, let people know. It's in the spirit that Henry would have wanted.*

*He would have gone further: paid back debts, bought back and unlisted the company, vertically integrated and owned all the supply chain, then used scale and this power to deliver ever more affordable products to the customer each year, empower people with technology, like providing Model T's that farmers could fuel with their own crops to secure their own independence - it's what he did first time around. It's the spirit that made America great when it was once a capitalist nation...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #38
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
It's definately needed as Ford often gets grouped into the "US Automakers - bailouts" catchcry and they need to ensure the average American disassociates Ford with that classification.
Couldnt agree more. The number of people I've spoken to both here and in America that think Ford also was bailed out is quite surprising and disturbing as well.

I love it! They have to stick it to the opposition. Wish Ford would have an ad here that shows the FG is safer than the VE in an ad that said, Not all 5 star cars are the same, showing the FG's higher score than the VE even without the side airbags (that have caused so much issue in the media).
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #39
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
I love it! They have to stick it to the opposition. Wish Ford would have an ad here that shows the FG is safer than the VE in an ad that said, Not all 5 star cars are the same, showing the FG's higher score than the VE even without the side airbags (that have caused so much issue in the media).
Be careful going down that path, the Cruze is safer than the FG Falcon

Cruze scored 35.04 out of 37
Falcon scored 34.6 out of 37

Although I would rather be in a Falcon in a crash.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #40
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Be careful going down that path, the Cruze is safer than the FG Falcon

Cruze scored 35.04 out of 37
Falcon scored 34.6 out of 37

Although I would rather be in a Falcon in a crash.
Good point. My mistake there.

I was leaning towards the idea rather than that actual thing, ie, something where the Ford is undisputed leader in VS Holden (other than power as that subject gets old and boring very quickly unless HSV/FPV, but thats another topic).

Wonder if the FG2 with the side bags standard outscores the Cruze (will they test it again though?!)
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #41
Carby

Hasn't Chrysler/Fiat paid back the Government now?

I think the bailouts are far more palatable than seeing two Automotive Icons go with probable loss of hundreds of thousands direct employee jobs and satellite company employees on the dole as a result of the plant closures all over the US let alone the affect in other countries...........
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby

I think the bailouts are far more palatable than seeing two Automotive Icons go with probable loss of hundreds of thousands direct employee jobs and satellite company employees on the dole as a result of the plant closures all over the US let alone the affect in other countries...........
Sergio had Chrysler's debt refinanced, the 19.7% interest rate that Treasury was changing was killing him...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #43
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Sergio had Chrysler's debt refinanced, the 19.7% interest rate that Treasury was changing was killing him...
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...id=10922&mid=2

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/03/f...m-chrysler-st/
Old 20-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/19/c...onds-to-criti/

Quote:
Customer in controversial Ford bailout slam ad responds to critics on YouTube

By Jeff Glucker RSS feed

Posted Sep 19th 2011 2:58PM
Comments154

We only know him as Chris, but his words are reverberating around the automotive and business sectors at the moment. He's the star of an unscripted Ford ad that puts real customers in front of not-so-real reporters. Chris was asked why buying American was important to him, and his response centers on the fact that Ford did not take bailout money unlike General Motors and Chrysler.

Chris has decided to post a video of his own to address some of his critics and to try to set the record straight. The Ford fan responds to criticism that this ad was staged, and also explains why he chose to buy his F-150. In addition, Chris also watched and recorded a Fox News segment, and that clip has talking heads Megyn Kelly, Mike Tobin and Steve Moore offering up their take on the Ford spot. Click past the jump to see the original ad, Chris' response and the opinion of Fox News.

Ford Commercial Response

Fox News Megyn Kelly Ford Anti bailout Commentary
Old 20-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby

I think Chrysler/Fiat paid back what they were required too, but it was still a few billion short of the total they recieved in the bailout.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #46
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
That analyst has all praise for the ad and Chris' message. My only hope is that it doesn't backfire in any way. In the short term at least the ad's certainly worked.
Old 21-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #47
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chrysler is awesome.
GM is awesome.
Ford is awesome.

I like Models of cars and don't like or hate an entire car make.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #48
BHDOGS
Banned

its caused controversy which is the whole point of an advert and this one has certainly worked wonders ford will be happy
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #49

is there a link to see the ad as they seem to be removed?
1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #50
ray38l

Ford deep down would be happy with the bailouts. Think about how many people couldnt buy new cars if gm had of went under.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #51
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Ford yanks bailout ad amidst controversy

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/27/f...versy-w-video/
Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #52
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/30/c...-it-pulled-ad/

Quote:
Chairman of House Oversight asks Ford why it pulled ad
By Zach Bowman RSS feed
Sep 30th 2011 1:00PM

The U.S. House of Representatives is investigating the motives behind the recent decision by Ford to pull an ad from its YouTube account that's critical of the government bailouts of General Motors and Chrysler, only later to restore it. Representative Darrell Issa, R-California, has asked Alan Mulally, president and CEO of Ford, for a "full and complete explanation" of his company's reasoning for temporarily pulling the ad. Earlier this week, Ford reportedly said that the ad was removed from the company's YouTube page as part of a planned rotation, and that it would continue to run online (there's no word on whether Ford will resume airing the ad on television, however).

In addition, Ford says that it continues to support the automotive bailout on the grounds that the automotive industry is a tight-knit network of companies, unions and workers. According to The Detroit News, Issa is specifically concerned that Ford received undue pressure from the White House to pull the ad. That's an allegation that Dan Pfeiffer, White House communications director, staunchly denies. Nevertheless, Issa has asked Ford to turn over any documents that pertain to the discussion of the ad. If you still haven't seen the ad for yourself, we've embedded it after the jump.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #53
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Well there you have it, GM's parent isn't happy after all.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #54
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah, Ford has accepted money and help in the past, no big deal.
As long as they survive
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post