Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #61
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Re: September 11th

I was 18, a mate and I were playing something on PS2 then realised we were missing south park. We turned it over to sbs and saw a building burning, then a plane slam into the second one. We thought "what movie is this" then after about 2mins realised it was real. Such a significant event, that I think everyone will remember what they were doing that day.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #62
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
well I have resisted posting on this thread till now seeing some of the pics etc posted up I am unfortunately disgusted with them

when this happened I had 2 mates over there working in the airline industry one male and one female they both lived close to the twin towers

one was on a flight that landed o/k and he is home here in geelong now married with his first child only a year or so old it took him that long to get over it and get out of the airline industry

Rebecca on the other hand was not so lucky she is no longer with us as she was in a meeting with her bosses in tower 1 for a breakfast meeting that she was getting a promotion that would have taken her out of the area and posted to Hawaii but she never got there

from memory she was on the 60 something floor at one of the restaurants

yes I miss her as a friend do I have hate for the people that did this hell yes I do

MAY ALL THE PEOPLE LOST ON THAT FATEFUL DAY REST IN PEACE and may god have mercy on all their souls

sorry the post above but that is how I feel

Jason
Wow.. So sorry to hear about Rebecca mate.. that is a really humbling account..
Old 08-09-2011, 02:33 AM   #63
Racer_X

I had just ended my 1st enlistment in the US Army. Thinking I was going to move into the private sector. I ended up going right back to the recruiter. For most Americans this was a tragedy that will not be forgotten. I am currently in Afghanistan and very surprised how many Australians are also serving here. I offer a humble thanks to your service men and women for joining us. I only fear that the world will never be truly free of terrorism.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #64
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I was 27, and due to start a new job the next day. I was sleeping on the couch in the TV room when my brother woke me up saying "a plane hit the World Trade Centre." I thought he meant a light plane and went back to sleep. A few minutes later he shook me awake again, going "they said it's a terrorist attack." I sat up and looked at the TV in time to see the second plane hit.

I remember thinking, "this is just like 'Debt of Honor'" (Tom Clancy's novel which I'd finished the week before, where a 747 crashes into the Capitol building).

I was still a bit groggy, so I booted up my PC and played "The Sims" while events unfolded.

The next day I discovered one of my co-workers had a brother who worked in the WTC. He'd missed his train, fortunately, and wasn't there when it happened. He managed to contact them to tell them he was fine.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #65
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I had just ended my 1st enlistment in the US Army. Thinking I was going to move into the private sector. I ended up going right back to the recruiter. For most Americans this was a tragedy that will not be forgotten. I am currently in Afghanistan and very surprised how many Australians are also serving here. I offer a humble thanks to your service men and women for joining us. I only fear that the world will never be truly free of terrorism.
You cant kill off an idea, therefore it will always exist. But you can make it hard for its proponents to congregate and therefore make the acts less frequent, many of those that do still occur smaller, and even preempt them altogether.

People who focus on the inability to end terrorism are missing the point. I look at it like car maintenance, stuff still goes wrong, but those roadside waits are less frequent, less severe usually and may not happen at all. Its a worthwhile effort despite the fact it will never be complete success.

Keep your head down mate.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #66
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
The only thing notable on that day that I can remember was I was trying to watch Dragon Ball Z on Cheez TV until the yanks took over every single tv station of ours for an entire day stating nothing but the same news.

Lucky they didn't make me miss Goku transforming into a Super Saiyan, I wouldv'e lost my ****.
You know that whole cartoon finished in 1996 in Japan, right? Started in 1989, we got it very late, lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #67
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was 18 and doing VCE.

I first heard that evening prior, Ten news announced a plane crash in NYC. And briefly showed an image of the Manhattan skyline in smoke. Wasn't a lot of urgency in the announcement, I guess they were just getting the first reports.

Next morning, completely different world. Without thinking too much about myself, for the first time, people my age were hearing words and phrases I guess we'd never except to hear in the real world, outside of television and movies. Totally blew us away.

I remember having the first two periods free. Came in to school late, kids sitting in their cars listening to the radios for the constant news and commentary. In the Year 12 common room 30+ kids huddled around a boom-box listening intently while debating the topic. Very ill-informed in hindsight.

Changed everything. And while I love a good conspiracy here and there, it sickens me to hear people get passionate about " how the US government did this " grow up.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #68
GT-Pete
Breaking stuff...

So the night before I was watching the movie The Siege (about terrorists in New York).

Next morning awoke to the real thing

Creepy
GT-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #69
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Wow, 10 years?!?!?!?! I was only in year 2 (8)!

R.I.P all the innocent lives lost in this unforgivable tragedy and I send all my condolences to those who lost loved ones on that most unforgettable day.

That must have been the only day in my childhood I never got up early to watch good old 'Cheez TV', because I really don't remember anything about it until after school.

I didn't understand what had happened - all the teachers were obviously mortified and I was worried something had happened at school. When I got home, mum had the TV going and the family kind of just glued ourselves to it for the night!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #70
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

That night I had just returned from work after covering a night range shoot. I caught a glimpse of a building on fire and like many here wondered what movie it was, my first thought was "not another die hard movie".

Then the realisation hit that it was not a movie, it was real. Further confirmed when I saw the second plane go in, that took away all doubt that it was a terrorist attack.

The next day I went to work half expecting to pack our gear and get ready to go, none of us had much sleep and not much happened that day except keeping track of what was going on.

Our family also had a scare that day, my cousin was in NY at the time and was due to do a tour of the WTC that morning. It was about 12 hours before she had a chance to call home and explain that she had gotten really drunk the night before and slept through her alarm clock. Had she not slept through she would have been in the WTC at the time of the attack. It could only happen to my cousin, her life was saved by a hang over, who says drinking is no good for you?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #71
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was 14 at the time and could not believe what I was seeing. So many killed for nothing.

I watched NBC Today where they had the children of some of those who had died. I'm a not much of an emotional person but watching that had a profound impact on me.

Now there are threats of more to come. I hope for everyone's sake that nothing does.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post