Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #31
Supercharged

Default Re: Has anyone wasted your time like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
No wonder you're fuming sancho, what a Richard Cranium.
The problem with trying legal action is it only makes the lawyers rich and even if you get a decision in your favour, you can't get blood out of a stone.
Under $6000.00 it is small claims court, no Lawyers allowed, cheap and easy to do.

And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #32
dannyxm
was danny888

Mate

I live in Camden. A fellow member on here agreed to meet me at Hornsby Train station at 6am one morning to buy my DC Ltd.

The buyer lived in Kempsey as was catching the train which was to come to Hornsby at 6.00am.

Heap of emails, messages, calls confirming that we were to meet.

Left 4.15am to get there by 6am.

Train comes, he doesnt.

Tried calling, no answer. Left messages, emails etc no reply.

Iroically, i sold the car to a guy who lives 10 minutes away.
Old 19-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #33
BLU-DVL

Fly over.. see the car.. buy the car.. move it to mates place.. fly home.. arrange to pick up/deliver car.
Old 19-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #34
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Agree 100%. I sold my G6ET on a Sunday morning to a bloke out of Sydney.

I was walking around with close to $35k for 24 hrs till the Bank opened Monday morning. It was not fun.
Yea, a few years ago I sold a bike to a guy from Mildura on a Saturday. No test rides unless cash is in my hand I told him before he came down, so we talk, he goes to his car and comes back with a bag of cash (less $1000 for negotiation purposes). Takes a test ride, parks the bike, goes to his car, gets the balance and loads it up on his ute. It was only as he drove off it hit me I had $30K in cash in my possession untill Monday.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #35
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looked at a dark green EF Falcon years ago, maybe back in 2004.

Very nice clean example. Lowered on King springs, full sports exhaust, tints, 16' ROH wheels. Very tidy.

So the guy brings it around one afternoon. I have a look, a drive and we agree that once it passes the road worthy, I'll purchase said vehicle.

So I book it in at my local mechanic about a couple of days later. I asked the mechanic, as we were family friends if he could call me down when its ready, before the owner so I can see whatever is wrong with it, without someone in my ear ( the owner ) telling me otherwise.

I get down there. There's a completely different exhaust on it. Rusted tip, etc. King Springs are gone, replaced with cut stock springs.

Just wasted every bodies time, by pulling this crap.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #36
disco

Mate don't let it annoy you too much, it looks like everyone has had a scenario like this happen before.

I had a time waster a couple years ago when I went up from Sydney to Qld to look at purchasing a trophy winning XW GT! lol!

We agreed on a price, sent me pics, told me the car was immac and insisted on cash...no probs I said (I had just sold another car and had the cash handy).

Anyway took a couple of mates up, flights, cabs..etc and get there (mind you a $100+ cab ride from the airport) see the car -nice and shiny.......... and had more body filler than Selley's ever put into tubes!!!! On top of that, many original bits and pieces that we'd seen in the pics were suddenly repro!!!

I asked the seller if he was serious?! He goes it's just a few patches coming up...I told him mate, you just wasted $1K of my money and our whole day! He then tried to negotiate with me (think he was keen for the cash!!)

Anyway, I was sh1tty enough to pull the $80K out and tell him I wouldn't buy this car at any price!! Thanks for wasting my time! So $100+ cab ride straight back to the airport and (cause I thought we were going to drive the car back) had to book air tickets return on the spot which cost me a motsa!!!

Bloody dreamers!

Cheers,
Dave.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #37
Bobman
Regulator

Walked around with 20k when buying a car. Was not worried about it.

I also wouldn't sell a car until the cash had cleared in my account. Cheques can't always be trusted.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #38
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Has anyone wasted your time like this?

Hi Sancho
yes weve all had this happen before
even last month I sold a spoiler for a Kenworth on Ebay
the buyer paid in full the same day
and I hvent heard a thing since no replies to emails
not quite the same as your probs but yeah
Now for my offer to you
if you really need a 1960 Thunderbird
then theres not much I can do
but if you come to Brisbane
I can sell you a 1966 Thunderbird for half the price
of the one you missed out on
LHD 390 Hardtop very straight no rust complete with hubcaps
new discs and pads
new master cylinder
new rear shoes and machined drums
head lights been changed
sequential blinkers all work
seat belts done front blinkers done in amber/white
still needs some suspension work bushes etc
and the wipers need work
anyway have a look or I can take some pics for you
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #39
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb Re: Has anyone wasted your time like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchoXB
How about this one, its a bit long winded, feel free to move if I have posted in the wrong thread. Just need to vent some anger.

After a month of phone calls and organizing I set off on saturday to look at a Thunderbird for sale in Parkes. During the week the owner got a blue slip and I got an unregistered vehicle permit to bring it home. Got the cash from the bank, got someone to cover my weekend at work and booked accommodation. A few weeks before I got a guy and a friend of his who lived near the car to check it out and give me an idea of its condition before I drove all the way there. It sounded ok.

I set off early saturday and as no one else was available my wife came with me even though she is 14 weeks along with our first child and quite sick. Anyway, after driving for 6 hours I was almost in Dubbo and still had about 1.5 hours to go, the mobile rang and it was the guy with the tbird who told me that he had sold the car a few hours earlier. He said someone saw the car, paid full price and taken it, what a load of crap, nobody just happens to spot a car on a sat morning pulls out $28k and buys an unregistered car. My feeling is that he decided he didnt want to sell the car and made up that story. So after much swearing and screaming abuse at him we turned around and drove 6 hours home.

I have never been so angry my whole life, the cost of the weekend: 2 cartons of beer for the guys who looked at it ($90), permit ($25), petrol ($120), hotel room ($135), staff wages at work ($350). All that plus 12 hours each of my wifes and my time plus another 1200km on the car and this TOOL calls it off.

Well thats my rant and Im still fuming, any other stories like this?

I feel for you bud not a nice thing to make all that effort spend the time and $$ and have the rug pulled ,......but it does happen all too often ,...thats why a proper 10% deposit and clear selling terms must be entered into so there are no misunderstandings ...regardless the seller should have at least called you earlier on and told you someone was hot on it and willing to pay full price ,....

I had a very funny/strange experience selling my 70 Mach1 ,..i had a guy from Melbourne fly up and and spend half the day inspecting this car with clipboard in hand ,....very caggey untrusting sort of character that wouldn't talk much ,..i didnt really know how to take him anyway i did the all the courteous things picked him up & dropped him off at the airport ,..drinks ,..google things for him ,...printed info etc etc ,..basically anything he asked for ,...after all he had made the trip all the way from Melbourne so he must be keen i thought ,

whilst this was going on another guy rings up for it ,..i tell him there's someone here looking over it ring me back later

after about 4 hours this guy tells me all its supposed faults outlined on his clipboard ,...(as if i didn't allready know ) but ends with " its a very nice car " and asked what would i accept for it ,......i tell him something close to the asking price would own it ,he doesnt go into it any further so we leave it at that ......on the way back to the airport he's on the phone to his Mustang experts most of the trip and again didnt say too much ,...... in the end i was none the wiser if he was inspecting the car for someone else ,..or wanted the car for himself or what ....I remember driving home dumbfounded thinking what a ******.

later that day this other bloke rings back ,..tells me he's from melbourne as well ,..Im thinking here we go again ,...he asks all the usual questions ,..and after a pleasant 20 minute conversation wants to talk dollars ,..i explain about the situation in the morning and offer to chop off $1000 to truck the car to melbourne ,..he asks for bank account details and the whole amount is in my account that night .

tilt tray arrives next morning ,..car gone.

you can guess what happens next can't you ??

.........after carrying on like a total f@%kwit on the phone the jilted clipboard carrying ****** ends up sending me a letter of demand for all his costs,... Im still scratching my head over this silly p@#%k

cheers
nick

Last edited by nt0351; 20-08-2011 at 12:15 AM.
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #40
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not going to popular but a few years ago I placed an advert in the Saturday paper. Come Saturday morning I had changed my mind about parting with my Jaguar XJ6 (Windsor powered). I got a few calls. I apologised & told them that I'd changed my mind & was expecting to keep it but as I'd advertised it if they wished they were welcome to call by & check it out. 1 guy came by & offered well more than I'd advertised it for.
Now 3 years later I am actually going to sell it. To build the new garage to keep it out of the weather is more than car is worth & I have come to the realisation that I don't have the time or anymore car covers.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 03:16 AM   #41
Till_Lind
E-series fan

Pale in comparison. But had 3 people call to look at a room I got available, book to come have a look and then cancel an hour or two before said appointment. Biatches!
Old 20-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #42
sanchoXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem
I'm not going to popular but a few years ago I placed an advert in the Saturday paper. Come Saturday morning I had changed my mind about parting with my Jaguar XJ6 (Windsor powered). I got a few calls. I apologised & told them that I'd changed my mind & was expecting to keep it but as I'd advertised it if they wished they were welcome to call by & check it out. 1 guy came by & offered well more than I'd advertised it for.
Now 3 years later I am actually going to sell it. To build the new garage to keep it out of the weather is more than car is worth & I have come to the realisation that I don't have the time or anymore car covers.
You did the right thing though and let people know when they rang that you had changed your mind. If this guy had done the same I would have no problem instead of telling me after 6 hours in the car.
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #43
spebgtsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I'd never let a car leave my driveway until the cheque had cleared and I'd never expect anyone else too either.

Not saying that you are one of them, but there are far too many dodgy people out there to take a risk like that.
A fella I work with managed to CANCEL A BANK CHEQUE for $28000 after paying for an alleged LH SLR5000 Torana. Paid for it on the Friday night with bank cheque. Found out over the weekend it was only a tarted up G PAK Torana. Phoned the seller, got abused, threatened etc. Police called. Monday morning, the seller presented the bank cheque to his own bank, thinking he had scammed 28K out of my mate, only to be told that a police intervention had been put on the said bank cheque and the funds were frozen until further notice..............

Yes, this is an extreme case, under special circumstances, but it has only confirmed for me that real cold hard cash is still the ONLY proven real deal!

XR8 SPRINT
FREE HO
MERC C55 AMG
AUDI A4
spebgtsprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #44
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spebgtsprint
A fella I work with managed to CANCEL A BANK CHEQUE for $28000 after paying for an alleged LH SLR5000 Torana. Paid for it on the Friday night with bank cheque. Found out over the weekend it was only a tarted up G PAK Torana. Phoned the seller, got abused, threatened etc. Police called. Monday morning, the seller presented the bank cheque to his own bank, thinking he had scammed 28K out of my mate, only to be told that a police intervention had been put on the said bank cheque and the funds were frozen until further notice..............

Yes, this is an extreme case, under special circumstances, but it has only confirmed for me that real cold hard cash is still the ONLY proven real deal!
Glad you said extreme case. One would of thought your mate would of done his homework before he handed over the cheque, but yeah it can happen and glad all worked out ok, apart from a bit of police involvement.
I've bought plenty of cars with cash, and have always had the courtesy to ask the seller if he/she is comfortable with having cash in their possession until they can get to a bank. The point i was making in post #24 was, there is no way i was going to walk around at night in a town (Mackay) i've never been to before with $15k cash on me. Granted, there are scammers and dodgy buggers around, but unfortunately its made some sellers over-cautious and cynical, and spoilt it for the honest buyers?
As i said his refusal to take a Bank Cheque was a real kick in the *** to me, as i'm pretty big on principals and honesty. That was 3-4 years ago now, its just lucky i'm still not bitter and twisted about it still though?
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #45
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

imho... timewasters deserve a good swift kick in the nuts...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchoXB
How about this one, its a bit long winded, feel free to move if I have posted in the wrong thread. Just need to vent some anger.

After a month of phone calls and organizing I set off on saturday to look at a Thunderbird for sale in Parkes. During the week the owner got a blue slip and I got an unregistered vehicle permit to bring it home. Got the cash from the bank, got someone to cover my weekend at work and booked accommodation. A few weeks before I got a guy and a friend of his who lived near the car to check it out and give me an idea of its condition before I drove all the way there. It sounded ok.

I set off early saturday and as no one else was available my wife came with me even though she is 14 weeks along with our first child and quite sick. Anyway, after driving for 6 hours I was almost in Dubbo and still had about 1.5 hours to go, the mobile rang and it was the guy with the tbird who told me that he had sold the car a few hours earlier. He said someone saw the car, paid full price and taken it, what a load of crap, nobody just happens to spot a car on a sat morning pulls out $28k and buys an unregistered car. My feeling is that he decided he didnt want to sell the car and made up that story. So after much swearing and screaming abuse at him we turned around and drove 6 hours home.

I have never been so angry my whole life, the cost of the weekend: 2 cartons of beer for the guys who looked at it ($90), permit ($25), petrol ($120), hotel room ($135), staff wages at work ($350). All that plus 12 hours each of my wifes and my time plus another 1200km on the car and this TOOL calls it off.

Well thats my rant and Im still fuming, any other stories like this?
I had the opposite side of the story, many moons ago I had a buyer like you ring me up, have a mate come look at the car,
yep, beauty we'll be there Saturday with the cheque but guess what?
I turned away buyer after buyer waiting for this other guy and he decided to pull out of the sale and not come...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #47
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I had the opposite side of the story, many moons ago I had a buyer like you ring me up, have a mate come look at the car,
yep, beauty we'll be there Saturday with the cheque but guess what?
I turned away buyer after buyer waiting for this other guy and he decided to pull out of the sale and not come...
Familiar story , recently sold a truck on ebay and he dropped a deposit then backed out , not happy sam but I wasn't out of pocket until I accepted a lessor amount to move it out the yard .
Sold a camry last year and the boke messed me about dreadfullt , left a bad taste after that one as he made all sorts of silly claims until he got spoken to .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Familiar story , recently sold a truck on ebay and he dropped a deposit then backed out , not happy sam but I wasn't out of pocket until I accepted a lessor amount to move it out the yard .
Sold a camry last year and the boke messed me about dreadfullt , left a bad taste after that one as he made all sorts of silly claims until he got spoken to .
Normally you can't back out if you make a deposit and change your mind....

And don't get me started on buyers who expect you to have dealer like warranty if anything goes wrong...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #49
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was looking a buying a truck few years back
Was 5k over what i wanted to spend, but it was good enuf, money was there so no issue
Said to seller
Need any finance details,what you owe and to who
Ill do 2 bank cheques
1 to the financier , the other (Balance on loan) to yourself
Sounds fair
Seller went absolutely of his head
"You pay me , not anyone else" blah blah blah

I said , do you owe money on it
"Yes, but you pay me "
Walked away
Week later, he rings rather abrupt
"You gunna buy this truck"
Yeah sure, when you give me the details

I even paid for an independant thorough insection thru a truck dealer, costing quite a bit
Just wouldnt come to the party

So i bought elsewhere
Different make of truck, a touch newer and nearly 100K on the clock less
So win for me
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post