Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
killbot
Starter Motor

Smile Advice for new work ute

Hi guys, looking at upgrading my current 08 FG xr6 sedan to something more practical (and faster).

Will be used for carrying loads of around 400 kilos doing around 800k's per week sometimes loaded sometimes not. WIll also be towing an 8 by 5 trailer which will be loaded with up to 700 kilos of goods. The car will be an auto

Looking for a fun weekender as well

Have 3 options im thinking of, want to wait for the fg2 so buying in a couple of months if it comes out then, the car will be fully tax deductible :-)

Option 1. XR6 ute with eco LPI and lux pack.. the reviews so far seem very positive and with the amount of Ks im doing seems to make sense financially however not really fast enough..

Option 2. XR6 Turbo ute with lux pack.. had a BAxr6t before and loved it so would be happy to go this route again.

Option 3. FPV GS ute... this is the car my heart wants however im worried with the amount of ks im doing ill be getting killed on fuel.. or the fact that im carrying alot of weight the engine would be less laboured possibly using less or similar fuel to the turbo? also obviously the extra cash to buy the FPV has to be taken into consideration.

Any advice would be much appreciated :-)

Last edited by killbot; 19-08-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling
killbot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Supercharged

Default Re: Advice for new work ute

Had 2 x FG turbos and now a FG GS, the GS does like a drink. The LPG would be the pick but not as much fun so I would go for a Turbo as they have almost as much power as the GS but are way lighter on the juice.

And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

XR6 T ute with lux pack and get it gas converted

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I just bought a new XR6 Turbo ute lux pack...

For the price compared to GS.. 14 kay cheaper they are definately the better choice financially... Plus cheaper rego, insurance and fuel..

XR6 Turbo luxury pack would be cheaper then LPI luxury pack at the moment with the special SVP program...

I could live with the LPI but the price on the turbo was too good to refuse.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
I just bought a new XR6 Turbo ute lux pack...

For the price compared to GS.. 14 kay cheaper they are definately the better choice financially... Plus cheaper rego, insurance and fuel..

XR6 Turbo luxury pack would be cheaper then LPI luxury pack at the moment with the special SVP program...

I could live with the LPI but the price on the turbo was too good to refuse.
+1
I bought the exact same a week or two ago..$36k drive away for manual at the moment. Not sure how many left though only limited numbers.

Have you picked up yours yet Brent?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
killbot
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
+1
I bought the exact same a week or two ago..$36k drive away for manual at the moment. Not sure how many left though only limited numbers.

Damn thats a fantastic price with the lux pack..I wonder if they are getting rid of them cheap to make way for the FG2? so tempting to snap up a runout FG at that price!
Old 19-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbot
Damn thats a fantastic price with the lux pack..I wonder if they are getting rid of them cheap to make way for the FG2? so tempting to snap up a runout FG at that price!
FG2 isn't till next year i thought? After the numbers run dry they'll be back to around $50k drive away
Old 19-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
killbot
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
FG2 isn't till next year i thought? After the numbers run dry they'll be back to around $50k drive away
October this year according to several people on this forum..however latest wheels says its going straight to FH and next year for this.. so dont really know what to think..even if its out in 2 months 50k compared to 36k hmmm
Old 19-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considered a ranger?
Old 19-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
+1

Yes mate picked mine up just now.. Love it.. Best ute ive ever owned and its number 6 for memory...
Old 19-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes mate picked mine up just now.. Love it.. Best ute ive ever owned and its number 6 for memory...
what colour and we need pics of at least one of your cars
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbot
FG2 is coming in October apparently but for 36 kay you will only get a base XR6...

I was happy to take a series 1 Turbo / Luxury pack for the same price, plus my FG1 trade in would have been worth less on an FG2...
Old 19-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
what colour and we need pics of at least one of your cars
Nitro...

Theres pics on here of my Dash GT / White XR6 (which i just traded).
Old 19-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i stand corrected. good colour choice
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nitro...

Theres pics on here of my Dash GT / White XR6 (which i just traded).
Nitro? What happened to the Edge one? Mines still quite a few weeks away yet!
Old 19-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
Nitro? What happened to the Edge one? Mines still quite a few weeks away yet!
Didn't like it when I seen it....

They said my August build Nitro one would be here today but it got there on monday so you never know yours could be sooner then later.
Old 19-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #17
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Didn't like it when I seen it....

They said my August build Nitro one would be here today but it got there on monday so you never know yours could be sooner then later.
Ah fair enough. Hopefully mate, not too fussed though, can't really drive it legally till December anyway!
Old 19-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Id say the turbo as thats what I did and I love it. But... at the same time I hate it. When you want some fun on the weekend you will look at it and hate that you have to use it work, and notice all the work related damage that comes with it. Just my 2c.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
killbot
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke
Considered a ranger?
I thought about a diesel Territory but 4wds arnt really my thing...
Old 19-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #20
killbot
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Id say the turbo as thats what I did and I love it. But... at the same time I hate it. When you want some fun on the weekend you will look at it and hate that you have to use it work, and notice all the work related damage that comes with it. Just my 2c.
I guess the ideal situation would be to have a work hack and a weekender. but just cant justify having 2 cars so gotta combine work/play... the 1st scratch is always the hardest :(