Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default drink driving on an esky

just when I thought I'd seen it all some idiot thinks he can rig an esky up with a motor and drive it drunk http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/...otorised-esky/

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 17-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Re: drink driving on an esky

Hahahahaha that's awesome

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 17-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
prydey
Rob

$500 and 9mnth loss of licence??!! seriously, how does that punishment remotely fit the crime?
Old 17-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Tomo1972

2nd offence for DUI
Old 17-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
$500 and 9mnth loss of licence??!! seriously, how does that punishment remotely fit the crime?
because he is still a danger to road users and his vehicle didn't even have CTP insurance. It's about time drunks learn that they are not welcome on the road regardless of what the are driving. if anything his penalty was too light seeing it wasn't the first drink drive offence

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 17-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Yes, he deserves what he got, but gee I want one of those.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
Old 17-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

LOL what a goose...
Old 17-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
DEVO'S MB XR5T

He deserves it... Much the same as those people who put motors on push bikes and ride them home from the pub. They should be forced to register them on the roads, have insurance and get a licence for them. Pretty much a motor bike..
Old 17-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Seriously..... :/ Who's he going to hurt, other than himself.... On an esky....

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 17-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip04
The person he hits when he's driving it on the sidewalk!

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
Old 17-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
The person he hits when he's driving it on the sidewalk!

So if you were walking along the footpath and saw this guy coming at you (which wouldn't be hard to miss!!!) you wouldn't move???? I'm not saying it's okay what he's done... But c'mon....

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 17-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The person who is hit by the car that swerves to miss him possibly?
Old 17-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Who cares, he is trying to be smart and flaunt the law, unfortunately he does not know the law well enough to do so.

The rules are simple, you are not allowed to be in control of any vehicle on the road whilst under the influence of alcohol, be that a car, motorbike, scooter, pit bike, bicycle or motorised esky.
Old 17-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
because he is still a danger to road users and his vehicle didn't even have CTP insurance. It's about time drunks learn that they are not welcome on the road regardless of what the are driving. if anything his penalty was too light seeing it wasn't the first drink drive offence
i cant be sure after watching the news report, but i dont think he was actually on the roads.

I can understand, from personal experience as a young driver a few years ago losing my license due to DUI, punishment is fitting. But its not as if he pulled out in his car weaving through traffic in a drunken state. Would you attempt to ride a bicycle drunk for a laugh? Would that not be the same then?

Its no wonder youth resort to such things as planking and isolative behaviours such as considerable video game playing as an interventive measure for not being arrested for their billy cart not having an engineers report and compulsory 3rd party insurance cover. We are so caught up in accountability and cross referencing our imagination (within reason) with societies law in an attempt to cull any flexibility.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 17-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
or the people in the 6 car pile up he causes when a car has to swerve to avoid him weaving all over the road ( or maybe the pedestrian who gets run over as a result of his stupidity). there is no place on the road for drunks and the message needs to be hammered home to idiots like him driving drunk on an unregisterd un insured vehicle.

Rides:

Old 17-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Who cares, he is trying to be smart and flaunt the law, unfortunately he does not know the law well enough to do so.

The rules are simple, you are not allowed to be in control of any vehicle on the road whilst under the influence of alcohol, be that a car, motorbike, scooter, pit bike, bicycle or motorised esky.

It's just a motorised esky....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisedbymonkeys
Its no wonder youth resort to such things as planking and isolative behaviours such as considerable video game playing as an interventive measure for not being arrested for their billy cart not having an engineers report and compulsory 3rd party insurance cover. We are so caught up in accountability and cross referencing our imagination (within reason) with societies law in an attempt to cull any flexibility.
Well said!!!

Old 17-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
or the people in the 6 car pile up he causes when a car has to swerve to avoid him weaving all over the road ( or maybe the pedestrian who gets run over as a result of his stupidity). there is no place on the road for drunks and the message needs to be hammered home to idiots like him driving drunk on an unregisterd un insured vehicle.
Fair enough if he was PLASTERED... But what it sounds like, is that he'd had a few beers workin on his esky... It's a typical knee jerk reaction..

Old 17-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Some here need to actually read the text of the report and listen to the video. The facts are he was working on it and drinking it that afternoon. he then did drive the esky on Hastings street where he was caught by police. He was over the alcohol limit but a large amount (almost 3 times, 0-15 is plastered) and this is his second offence. The Magistrate has ruled the motorised esky with wheels is a vehicle and therefore DUI rules apply. On top of all this, the defendant plead guilty to all this.

They are the facts as admitted to by the defendant in court.
Old 17-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

From the QLD state road rules

Quote:
15 What is a vehicle
A vehicle includes—
(a) a motor vehicle, trailer and tram; and
(b) a bicycle; and
(c) an animal-drawn vehicle, and an animal that is being
ridden or drawing a vehicle; and
(d) a combination; and
(e) a motorised wheelchair that can travel at over 10km/h
(on level ground);
but does not include another kind of wheelchair, a train, or a
wheeled recreational device or wheeled toy.
Obviously the Magistrate has deemed the esky applies as it is able to do more than 10 km/h and is therefore not a wheeled toy.
Old 17-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fair enough if he was PLASTERED... But what it sounds like, is that he'd had a few beers workin on his esky... It's a typical knee jerk reaction..
so are you saying if someone has a few beers and is over the limit he is right to drive ???????? he is on the road and the same rules apply be it a car, an esky, a push bike ( yes you can go DUI on a bike) , a horse ( yes you can go DUI on a horse too) or a ride on lawn mower. drunks are not welcome on the road in any form the soone you learn that the better off we will all be

Rides:

Old 17-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #21
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Some here need to actually read the text of the report and listen to the video. The facts are he was working on it and drinking it that afternoon. he then did drive the esky on Hastings street where he was caught by police. He was over the alcohol limit but a large amount (almost 3 times, 0-15 is plastered) and this is his second offence. The Magistrate has ruled the motorised esky with wheels is a vehicle and therefore DUI rules apply. On top of all this, the defendant plead guilty to all this.

They are the facts as admitted to by the defendant in court.
I stand corrected. He was driving on the raods. Fair enough.
However, my standpoint on my generalised argument that sometimes we are often caught up in accountability and an uptight society remain.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by geckoGT; 17-08-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Have an opinion sure, but do not take my sig out of context, that is argumentative
Old 17-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
Hood-G6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha i want one. to be driven sober oc

For sale

ADELAIDE FG OWNERS
Old 17-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
I stand corrected. He was driving on the raods. Fair enough.
However, my standpoint on my generalised argument that sometimes we are often caught up in accountability and an uptight society remain.

Perhaps you have a point, in fact I believe there is a strong element of truth to what you say.

But, how would you feel if your family were involved in a crash and either injured or killed because they swerved to avoid this idiot? Would you then feel that he should not be held accountable and is just being a bit of a lad having some fun?

Had that scenario happened, the news report would have read something like "Family of four killed by drunk on the road". You can bet that somewhere in the text the question would be asked how it is that the drunk could get away with having that vehicle on the road in the first place. I bet many comments on here would criticise the police for letting it happen.
Old 17-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am thinkin starting this thread was a bad idea. I was trying to point out how stupid drunk drivers are and find out we have members who think drunken idiots posing a risk to road users are just lads having fun. maybe it's time to put this to bed before it gets ugly.

Rides:

Old 17-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

As requested by the OP.