Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Default ABN/Car/Insurance questions.

hey all, Alright this is just a basic call out to anyone who has an ABN either Registered with there cars, or running with their cars.

My work is looking into buying new cars at the moment, the vehicles will be registered in our individual names to avoid confusion when being pulled over if the situation arised.

I'm 20 years old, still fall under the P plate laws of 'prohibited vehicles.'

Now, here's the problem.

My boss loves falcons, and apparently he can get a smaller discount by buying cars in bulk (we're buying 5). His spoken to the guys at Ford and told him his plans, they agreed to knock XX amount off the price if we bought them all.

The only utes that they had in stock ATM was the XR6T. Which he wants to get, Now unfortunately i fall under the category that i can't drive one legally. We spoke to ford about the issue and told them they we would need 4 XRT's and 1 XR6. They said that they couldn't get the same deal with any changes and to pay upfront the full cost of each car. Which is ****.

So, Its been my bosses job to find a way that i'm able to drive these before off P's but he has come to no conclusion, so his put me onto the job.

I searched VicRoads and found the following information regarding ABN's. I've highlighted the important bit, but also underlined the bit in question.

Quote:
Automatic Exemption

The Road Safety (Drivers) Regulations 2009, automatically exempt a probationary driver, from the probationary prohibited vehicle restrictions, who is driving the vehicle in the course of his or her employment and at his or her employer’s request or is self employed and an Australian Business Number (ABN) is in force in relation to the person's business. No exemption document is required from VicRoads in these circumstances. However, the onus is on the driver to provide evidence to the police if requested.

A person is not permitted to drive the vehicle at any time for social reasons or reasons unrelated to work. In these cases the onus is upon the driver to provide evidence to the police that his or her driving is work connected.
Now i understand what all of that means and accept the writing as it stands. The thing is, I don't plan on having my own 'personal car' in the coming weeks as im in the process of selling it at the moment. So my work vehicle would be my only vehicle, thus requiring me to drive it after hours/social meetings.

I know i could risk it and just drive regardless, but i would like to be covered in the unfortunate sake that something had happened, Which draws me to my next problem. Insurance.

Under Insurance i'm
Quote:
"Not licensed to drive the vehicle in question. All claims will be denied"
which will draw the question if because its a company vehicle allows me to opportunity to drive it, and be covered as i'm doing so by my companies request?

I may have rambled and failed to get to the point. I'm personally not too fussed about whether i drive a T or not, but work want these, we will already be giving another one to the bosses son who doesnt work with us, just to make the numbers up.

My questions;

- does anyone have/had a vehicle they were "unable to drive" but done this through the company and given lee-way.
- what are the necessary paperworks needed?
- Has anyone gone through anything similar before?

Thankyou in advance.

R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Default Re: ABN/Car/Insurance questions.

unfortunately i'm in NSW where I think the rules may be slightly different, but my 2c worth is to go to another dealer & put the same deal to them, as they may have or access to alternate vehicles. My experience has been that a vehicle may be available, but unless a dealer wants to let it go, he doesnt have to
Good Luck
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1XSTA
hey all, Alright this is just a basic call out to anyone who has an ABN either Registered with there cars, or running with their cars.

My work is looking into buying new cars at the moment, the vehicles will be registered in our individual names to avoid confusion when being pulled over if the situation arised.

I'm 20 years old, still fall under the P plate laws of 'prohibited vehicles.'

Now, here's the problem.

My boss loves falcons, and apparently he can get a smaller discount by buying cars in bulk (we're buying 5). His spoken to the guys at Ford and told him his plans, they agreed to knock XX amount off the price if we bought them all.

The only utes that they had in stock ATM was the XR6T. Which he wants to get, Now unfortunately i fall under the category that i can't drive one legally. We spoke to ford about the issue and told them they we would need 4 XRT's and 1 XR6. They said that they couldn't get the same deal with any changes and to pay upfront the full cost of each car. Which is ****.

So, Its been my bosses job to find a way that i'm able to drive these before off P's but he has come to no conclusion, so his put me onto the job.

I searched VicRoads and found the following information regarding ABN's. I've highlighted the important bit, but also underlined the bit in question.

Now i understand what all of that means and accept the writing as it stands. The thing is, I don't plan on having my own 'personal car' in the coming weeks as im in the process of selling it at the moment. So my work vehicle would be my only vehicle, thus requiring me to drive it after hours/social meetings.

I know i could risk it and just drive regardless, but i would like to be covered in the unfortunate sake that something had happened, Which draws me to my next problem. Insurance.

Under Insurance i'm
which will draw the question if because its a company vehicle allows me to opportunity to drive it, and be covered as i'm doing so by my companies request?

I may have rambled and failed to get to the point. I'm personally not too fussed about whether i drive a T or not, but work want these, we will already be giving another one to the bosses son who doesnt work with us, just to make the numbers up.

My questions;

- does anyone have/had a vehicle they were "unable to drive" but done this through the company and given lee-way.
- what are the necessary paperworks needed?
- Has anyone gone through anything similar before?

Thankyou in advance.
You can get exemptions and the like from Vicroads for driving company vehilces, provided there is a valid reason behind it (i.e. no other cars available, or you are required to tow heavy loads, etc...) maybe have your boss pursue that angle; there would have to be a way around it some how.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Yeah you see I'm not fussed and don't care which ever I get. I would love the turbo but the problem lies in the underlined.

It would be my only car, and would need to be used after hours. I think this may require a call to VicRoads to pursue.
Old 20-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Cúl-Báire

Have the car plastered in promotional paint work... problem solved :-P
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Dave3911

I wouldn't bother trying to get around the laws and insurance issues, personally I'd focus on this bit:

Quote:
That dealer is full of it. Start ringing around dealerships all over the state, you'll get 4XRTs and the non T XR6 at the price you want no problems.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Agrees with Dave.

A dealer would jump on a deal of 5 sales in one go.

But, as the rules state, if this is all your employer provides and the vehicle is required (be sure a tow hitch is fitted) then they should grant you exeption.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
But, as the rules state, if this is all your employer provides and the vehicle is required (be sure a tow hitch is fitted) then they should grant you exeption.
Actually no exeption needs to be granted, but as already posted the car can only be used for work purposes and the onus is on the driver to prove that they were using the car for work purposes when pulled over. The fact that its the only car available to use isn't relevant either, the law only allows him to use it for work purposes. A further exemption can be sought to allow for private use - but its unlikely to be granted.

Get pulled over at 11pm on a friday night, pulling out of the pub carpark with your drunk girlfriend in the front seat? Your screwed.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Yeah pretty much why I have to try find out what my options are here..

Being that its a work car for my 9-5 job. it will also be helpful for my detailing job, which i do whenever someone calls.

I've been called around at close to 9PM to clean someones interior because their kid's spilt coke everywhere. So its limitless to what i can/can't do in timezone's.

I just don't wanna be caught it being it would be my only car.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
Old 20-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the cars are going to be owned, registered and insured under your own personal name? Your chances are slim
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Still trying to get me head around why the boss want to register them in the employees names.
Is it part of a salary sacrifice for you or something?

Exemption may be OK, if registered to the Boss, as he is providing them for work and you have to drive what he provides. But probably not if rego is in your name.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your boss is "giving" you all cars?????

Ok now you have lost me.... there would be NO reason to register HIS cars in YOUR name... and is utter stupidity. For a start they wont be company cars, they will be YOUR personal car.

To me it sounds like your just trying to get around the laws (as succy as they are) and pretend its a company car, when in fact it wont be.

If the car is registered in YOUR name... then its your personal car, not a company car. And for Tax purposes a total waste of time....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
Rangas GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Your boss is "giving" you all cars?????

Ok now you have lost me.... there would be NO reason to register HIS cars in YOUR name... and is utter stupidity. For a start they wont be company cars, they will be YOUR personal car.

To me it sounds like your just trying to get around the laws (as succy as they are) and pretend its a company car, when in fact it wont be.

If the car is registered in YOUR name... then its your personal car, not a company car. And for Tax purposes a total waste of time....

Maybe different from state to state but in NSW the rego can be in your name registered on behalf of the business name. Both business name and your name will be on rego paper.
Also if your line of work is considered as essential services, meaning your on 24hr call, have your boss write you a letter and leave it in the glove box.
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangas GTP
Maybe different from state to state but in NSW the rego can be in your name registered on behalf of the business name. Both business name and your name will be on rego paper.
Also if your line of work is considered as essential services, meaning your on 24hr call, have your boss write you a letter and leave it in the glove box.
This ^

Incase i maybe didn't write it properly. It will be as follows;

Primary Driver: Me.

Last edited by R1XSTA; 22-07-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 22-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This ^

Incase i maybe didn't write it properly. It will be as follows;

Primary Driver: Me.
Hmm... this is what you wrote...

Quote:
so again it seemed your initial post was to try and find a loop hole about a so-called company ute.... which was registered in your name and that you are not the owner of the company.

A compnay car can be registered to an individual but as long as your the owner/ shareholder of the company thats fine.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Yeah, Its gonna be in our names, under the company flagship name.

EDIT: We took the advise of above, and went to another dealership and are getting Triton's instead. Ford 'could not' budge on the price.
Old 22-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Yeah, Its gonna be in our names, under the company flagship name.
I don't think rego works like that.

Quote:
EDIT: We took the advise of above, and went to another dealership and are getting Triton's instead. Ford 'could not' budge on the price.
Is a Triton an equivalent to the XR6T Falcon?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Not in the slightest, but its the Turbo Diesel, so it has towing capacity and is legal for me atleast.

In terms of the price tag i'm not entirely sure, as thats not my department.
Old 22-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Actually no exeption needs to be granted, but as already posted the car can only be used for work purposes and the onus is on the driver to prove that they were using the car for work purposes when pulled over. The fact that its the only car available to use isn't relevant either, the law only allows him to use it for work purposes. A further exemption can be sought to allow for private use - but its unlikely to be granted.

Get pulled over at 11pm on a friday night, pulling out of the pub carpark with your drunk girlfriend in the front seat? Your screwed.
pulling out of the pub carpark with your drunk girlfriend in the front seat ,your more likely to get blown then screwed
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric
pulling out of the pub carpark with your drunk girlfriend in the front seat ,your more likely to get blown then screwed
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post