Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #31
John G

Default Re: shift workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
And what law might that be....? and who does it apply to....?
Road Traffic Act
Drivers of heavy goods vehicles (Truck drivers)
John G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #32
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

We work 12 hr shifts 6 days a week - sometimes 7 days a week (but dont work more than 14 days in a row - then take one day off without pay and start over again).
Paid for std hrs time and a half for first 3 hrs and double time for the rest. Sat and Sun at overtime. Sunday at double time from the start.
How does that compare with the flat rate guys and if you're on a flat rate, does your sickies and annual leave get paid at the flat rate as if it was worked or does it come back to a base rate on those days?
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #33
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G
Road Traffic Act
Drivers of heavy goods vehicles (Truck drivers)
Thanks mate, I’m familiar with the Road Traffic act/Truck driver requirements on hours, i thought you where referring to a work site other than Truck drivers....

It's all good....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #34
Jacko*
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shift at my work is two 12hr days then two 12 hr nights then off four days, not a bad roster four crews 24hr coverage.
Jacko* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #35
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My roster is 3 days, 3 nights 6 off, 12.5 hr shift including 1/2 hr handover. Love it. I could never ever go back to a normal day job now, I get too much time off to go back to living for two days a week wishing my life away.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #36
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: shift workers

I work 13 hour days, do not get paid for travel to & from minesite. 7 days 7 nights, I fly home in my time (unpaid) 2 hour flight back to Perth 5 weeks annual leave, free income protection (part of my salary package) for 2 years. In other words if I have a major illness I will be paid for upto 2 years @ salary package rates. My contract has it's good & bad points, just a matter of balance I suppose. 3 crews involved, 1 Dayshift 1 Nightshift, 1 shift on R&R. FIFO Iron Ore.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #37
ebgtjames
Need More Cubes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
My roster is 3 days, 3 nights 6 off, 12.5 hr shift including 1/2 hr handover. Love it. I could never ever go back to a normal day job now, I get too much time off to go back to living for two days a week wishing my life away.
Stop bragging and get stuck into that Sprint then!!

STREETBUILT Racing

1993 DC LTD
EB GT Drive Line!
ebgtjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #38
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i used to do 2x 20hr shifts, 2x 12hr shifts... than rest a couple days and repeat.. did it for a short while before it brought me down

now im happy to do 3x 10hrs & 1x 8hrs, 3 days off...cruising
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #39
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgtjames
Stop bragging and get stuck into that Sprint then!!

Yeah righto, end of the month I start buying stuff and Tax time is a coming

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #40
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do 7 nights, a shift change, 7 days then basically 6 days at home (meant to be 14 and 7 but really ends being 15 and 6). 12 hour days plus 30min travel each way to site and camp (unpaid). 3 crews. Get full family coverage private health, 5.5% yearly bonus, NT living allowance and travel assistance for the whole family. In a gold mine. When i move to Perth next year i will be looking at a more family freindly roster.
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #41
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikmic concepts
hey bundy,
im 23, qualified mechanic and will be moving to Hervey bay at the end of the year... do u think the company you work for would be interested in me? id love to work away! i need a challenging job hahaha

I'd advise not moving to the bay unless you have a job to go to. At 10% unemployment ATM its the highest in the state.

Anglo American was looking for cleanskins not long ago, you can have a look here

http://www.angloamerican.com.au/care...vacancies.aspx

most mine companies will have similar

http://www.mastermyne.com.au/careers

is also worth a look as they have a cleanskins training facility in Mackay

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #42
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I recently read a report saying that shiftwork, as in doing day shift, then nightshift, takes seven years off your life.
Old 16-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #43
IronFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
I recently read a report saying that shiftwork, as in doing day shift, then nightshift, takes seven years off your life.
Ten years off the crap end that I would have spent being an old fart

Normal fortnight: any combination of (usually) 7am-3pm and 3pm-11pm (but may include any 8 hour shift) with a random mix of total 10 days on and 4 days off.

Night fortnight: seven nights 11pm-7am, two shifts 3pm-11pm, one shift 7am-3pm, then four days off straight.

Every second roster is a night roster.
Old 17-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #44
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: shift workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFalcon
Ten years off the crap end that I would have spent being an old fart

Normal fortnight: any combination of (usually) 7am-3pm and 3pm-11pm (but may include any 8 hour shift) with a random mix of total 10 days on and 4 days off.

Night fortnight: seven nights 11pm-7am, two shifts 3pm-11pm, one shift 7am-3pm, then four days off straight.

Every second roster is a night roster.
Yeah,I heard that as well, so if asbestosis don't get you, silicosis will. If that fails, liver failure, skin cancer, plane crashes, car accidents are next in line. If your still alive, marriage breakdown, company bankruptcy, redundancy are next in line. Please keep me on nightshift!!!
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #45
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Yeah,I heard that as well, so if asbestosis don't get you, silicosis will. If that fails, liver failure, skin cancer, plane crashes, car accidents are next in line. If your still alive, marriage breakdown, company bankruptcy, redundancy are next in line. Please keep me on nightshift!!!
Yep, I just had honey on Toast and used "Real" butter..............I'm a gonna.......
Old 17-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #46
prydey
Rob

i do shift work but just a normal weekly rotating 3 shift rotation. 2 weeks nights, 1 week arvo's, 1 week days- rinse and repeat.

shift hours are days - 6am-1:30pm; arvos - 1:30pm - 9pm; nights(4 nights)-9pm-6am.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #47
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm. I currently do a rotating roster as a store person for an airline company
and it is 4 on 4 off and it rotates so week 1 is day shifts (7am-3pm) arvo shifts
3pm-11pm the night is 11pm-7am its great your only doing night shifts once every 3 week and I get five weeks annual leave per year which your able to rollover (for a maximum 3 years) and 10 days sick leave a year which doesn't rollover

cheers
Brendan
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #48
skaface
Starter Motor

6 on 1 off
6am - 2pm dayshift.
Mon-Fri base rate
Sat O/time
skaface is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #49
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
I wonder what they would say about this....

This is a "normal" five week swing showing hours on watch (x) and the hours of rest left blank....
0000 > 0400 on, 0400 > 1000 off, 1000 > 1800 on, 1800 > 0000 off, and on it goes day in day out for five weeks....

When working in Australia above the 26 parallel we work 5 weeks on 5 weeks off, working below the 26 parallel, e.g. Bass Strait where we are now, it's 4 weeks on 4 weeks off....

Make sence...??

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 17-07-2011 at 12:10 PM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #50
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me

hahahah . i'm a shift worker too , and i do worry about these reports ,
on the other hand how many years do office workers lose , by sitting at a desk 9 to 5 , with transport to and from work , and the eyesight , and headaches . i tried this for a few weeks and it drove me insane .
. on topic . this is a great thread , i never realised there were so many rosters out there .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #51
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just been told were changing from 7 days, 3 off, 7 nights, 4 off, to 7 and 7 roster, will be able to drive a truck and start swinging my hammer again on days off
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #52
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah but I usually work less then 35 hours a week. Normally only 3 or 4 days.

So with all my spare time off I will make up for those 7 years
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #53
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I've been doing it for just under 2 years and it has done me no good. I've put on 20kgs for starters

We do Mon,Tues,Weds 7pm-7am and then Sun 7am-7pm. Then we do Thurs,Fri,Sat,Sun 7pm-7am and then Sat. 7am-7pm over 3 weeks.

So it is 9 days out of 21 working and then we do 3 weeks on day shift, rinse and repeat. The weekend nights are the worst because everyone else is at home and awake while you're trying to sleep during the day

We used to do about 6-8 weeks days but we do not have enough people to do this now.

All I can say to those considering a shift position is to avoid it like the plague unless you really desperately need the money. It is not easy by any means

The days you have off you can't do **** anyway because you sleep most of the time.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #54
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really don't mind shift work.

Sure staying awake at 3am is hard sometimes. But once I finish my last night work, by that afternoon I am usually recovered and that night I am back into my normal sleep routine. Then for my days off I feel great.

My old man worked 14 on then 14 off for a while.
7 days followed by 7 nights.
Could anyone do this? I would hate it. 14 days off sounds good though.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #55
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
This doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I've been doing it for just under 2 years and it has done me no good. I've put on 20kgs for starters

We do Mon,Tues,Weds 7pm-7am and then Sun 7am-7pm. Then we do Thurs,Fri,Sat,Sun 7pm-7am and then Sat. 7am-7pm over 3 weeks.

So it is 9 days out of 21 working and then we do 3 weeks on day shift, rinse and repeat. The weekend nights are the worst because everyone else is at home and awake while you're trying to sleep during the day

We used to do about 6-8 weeks days but we do not have enough people to do this now.

All I can say to those considering a shift position is to avoid it like the plague unless you really desperately need the money. It is not easy by any means

The days you have off you can't do **** anyway because you sleep most of the time.
Sounds like your roster is more the problem, not shift work... I love shift work, and like others have said, i wouldn't go back to a normal mon-fri job. I'm lucky to work 7 days a month, and 6 nights per month once i take my allocated RDO. Add in 6wks per year of rec leave and my personal leave, and i'm seriously lucky to work 11 shifts per month on average!

Our roster is a little weird, but it ensures every second weekend is off, which makes it easy.

Goes a bit like this 3 dayshifts, 1 off, 3 nightshifts, 2 off, 2 nights, 6 off. Then start back on 4 days, 2 nights and another 5 off. Then go back to the 3 days cycle...

The hardest thing about shift work is sleeping patterns. I try not to sleep much after my last nightshift, maybe get 3-4hrs tops. Wake up by 11am at the latest and go do stuff. A few beers in the arvo, and in bed by 8-9pm and i'm all back to normal!

As for the weight gain, you can't blame shift work as such. I too put on a stack of weight, but that was due to my laziness. Now, instead of sitting on the couch playing xbox while the kids are at school, i go out for a ride or go to the gym for an hour or so.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #56
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I used to work a rotating days/nights shift that was all over the place ... and the rotation was about 10-12 week pattern.

I'm now on a 2 week pattern which is done twice for dayshift ... and then across to nightshift for the same pattern ... so much easier to keep track of for me ... and less stress in this environment.

And if we need to ... everyone in the team is pretty accomodating for swaps as well.

After doing shiftwork now for 10 years ... I am used to the sleeping at anytime. At least now I only have a 30-40 minute commute instead of over an hour (especially after a string of nightshifts).

Now that I am really back into my part-time courier work inbetween shifts now ... I don't get a day off at all now. I think October long weekend is my next day off work.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #57
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have 5 crews. night/day/arvo during the week and day/night during weekends.

all based on a 35hr week. extra hours paid at O/T rates. weekend shifts get weekend penalty rates.

nights do 9hrs tues-thurs (10:30-7:30) and 10hrs fri (10:30-8:30)
days do 9hrs tue-thurs (6:30-3:30) and 12hrs fri (7:30-7:30) theres also a day crew that does 8hrs mon-fri (6:30-2:30)
arvos do 12hrs monday (11:30-11:30) and 9hrs tue-thurs (2:30-11:30)
weekend days do 12hrs sat-sun (6:30-6:30) and 6hrs mon (6:30-12:30)
weekend nights do 12hrs sat-sun-mon (6:30-6:30)

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #58
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I work
training day half day, day, day, day, night, night
5 days off
day, day, night, night
5 days off
day, day, night, night, night
3 days off

pain in the *** but you only work half the year. 12.5hr days and 10.5 nights 12.5 nights if I want the extra overtime.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post