Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #31
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Body piercing.

i have tattoos all up the back of my left arm and tunnels in my ears. Im a social work student and i work with young people and fair in the sphere of mental health. I dont care what others think but direct line management in the organisation that i work for see it as a positive rather than a negative.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #32
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Im missing something, whats a snakebite?
they are piercings either side of your bottom lip just underneath it,it looks like a snakebite with the 2 studs there

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #33
Wise
DWF00N

Spose it depends on your industry as to whether ur a suitable job candidate.

Iggy, if it were happening everywhere u went its one thing, but does it happen a lot?

My biggest gripe with piercings tats and even hair cuts is that they all have a time and place and a lot of people try to mix them. At least piercings and stupid hair cuts are fixable though

Now for sale - 30k
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #34
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a face full of stainless steel you will have no trouble obtaining a job at JB HIFI!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #35
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise
Spose it depends on your industry as to whether ur a suitable job candidate.

Iggy, if it were happening everywhere u went its one thing, but does it happen a lot?

My biggest gripe with piercings tats and even hair cuts is that they all have a time and place and a lot of people try to mix them. At least piercings and stupid hair cuts are fixable though
I honestly can't answer the question as my labret has been done for 5 days and I only went out in public Saturday, so first night out=first time I got hassled. The spiderbites(two close together on bottom lip) are on their way but I'm sure to cop more abuse between now and then. I cop it on the chin; so long as it doesn't eventuate into violence I'll just ignore it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #36
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb Re: Body piercing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I was the recipient of a few jibes from people on Saturday night due to my piercings. I don't care in the slightest, I was just curious as to why there was so much hatred directed towards me for my own personal choices. I laughed the comments off but the general feeling lingered as I made my way home. I want to understand the strong hatred(not dislike, these where powerful comments) behind the comments. Surely people can just respect another persons choices rather than project hatred towards them?
For those who would like to know, I have my nose, labret, top of left ear, bottom of left ear and top of right ear pierced, along with left nipple which no one sees.
Do others with some piercings recieve unnecessary hatred/comments due to their piercings? I am interested to hear thoughts.
Several reasons , one being difference and another socially no matter how progressive people claim to be they like sameness . I had my lobes in 40 years ago , no visible tatts though and took the studs out when I got bored (and left a certain two wheel lifestyle)and started getting into other work off the shop floor . Personally I can't recomend facial adornment as if you get into a situation the metal makes a decent handle and trust me losing them drops strong people to thier knees it also stops promotion above a certain level but personal choice I guess .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #37
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
My top right ear hurt the most, even more than my lip or the 30+ hours I've spent getting tattooed. Nipple? Easy peasy!
my ears with the gun hurt the most lol

compared to my nipple (had done 3x), septum, and another intimate lol and tatts over the collarbone
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #38
HLC
Audi S3

Always think of the consequences with facial piercings. I dont have tatts on my arms because they can be known as CLM's - Career Limiting Moves. Working in the corporate world (even with long sleeve shirts) its not worth the gamble. Maybe when im 40+ and loaded and dont care.

My piercings are clean, simple, my haircut and facial hair are always neat. I miss the being able to have long hair/fringe one day, having a mowhawk a few weeks later, then short/spiky/whatever, to something a bit tamer with the '5 day growth' look but you do what you gotta do to succeed.

you could argue its not being true to yourself, find somewhere that lets you do that.. but im not 18 anymore (cause 23 is heaps old) gotta draw the line somewhere.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Surely people can just respect another persons choices rather than project hatred towards them?
Surely you jest? As soon as some ones different people feel the need to exclude them. Different could be many things.

Mind you I see people who get all annoyed when this effects them but then are quite happy to do the same to others.
Old 13-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #40
Wise
DWF00N

Quote:
I honestly can't answer the question as my labret has been done for 5 days and I only went out in public Saturday, so first night out=first time I got hassled. The spiderbites(two close together on bottom lip) are on their way but I'm sure to cop more abuse between now and then. I cop it on the chin; so long as it doesn't eventuate into violence I'll just ignore it.
It probably won't happen again. Just like being on your Ps and getting rbt'd heaps in the first week of having them. I say its more coincidental than anything.

Just keep laughing at it man. Water off a ducks back.

Now for sale - 30k
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #41
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Had my lip and eyebrow doen for years…both with spikes in them haha.

Just took them out one day and never put them back in. been thinking about getting my lip re pierced.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #42
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had my labret for 10 years now.

I just don't, and haven't ever, worn them to work.

Outside of work is my time.

Also, I wouldn't get tattoo's below the elbow.

Just do what you want, people will generally find a way to discriminate against you if they want, tattoos and piercings or not.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #43
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

My Nan has been the only one to really give a damn, but when I was living with her it was the whole hog, twin eyebrow, nose, septum, labret, tongue, industrial, conch, tragus.. lobes.

After I moved out, and when I got my first pro job, I rocked up on lunch one time, cuz I was doing some product testing in her area, and dropped in to say hi. The first thing she noted was my lack thereof of piercings, which I take out for work, especially when dealing with big customers like Holden or Ford.

Mind you I now only have one eyebrow and my nose, both of which i refuse to take out due to sentimental reasons. Still got my ears riddled with metal though

Nan's attitude stems from piercings and tattoos attracting the wrong crowd (so if she saw my back, bless her, she'd have a heartattack).
I also tend not to get ****, because I dress down a lot, and Melbourne seems to be pretty accepting. Mind you, if I did the whole chains and goth look, I'd probably get into some kind of altercation at the moment....
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #44
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Always think of the consequences with facial piercings. I dont have tatts on my arms because they can be known as CLM's - Career Limiting Moves. Working in the corporate world (even with long sleeve shirts) its not worth the gamble. Maybe when im 40+ and loaded and dont care.

My piercings are clean, simple, my haircut and facial hair are always neat. I miss the being able to have long hair/fringe one day, having a mowhawk a few weeks later, then short/spiky/whatever, to something a bit tamer with the '5 day growth' look but you do what you gotta do to succeed.

you could argue its not being true to yourself, find somewhere that lets you do that.. but im not 18 anymore (cause 23 is heaps old) gotta draw the line somewhere.
Glad someone else feels this way. The small indents left when I take mine out for work I just argue as 16 year old stupidity. but yeah, I'm not 18 or 21 anymore, I'm about to graduate and enter a whole world of engineering ladder climbing, if my bosses don't mind I leave them in, as long as their neat and professional (no rings etc, small balls blah blah blah). But I did have one boss at Coles who told me to put them back in one day, because he thought I looked weird

Old 13-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #45
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC

Blah blah blah I just wish I had enough hair for some of this stuff hell I recon I would do it in my snr managment role if I had enough hair

but your right about the CLM's I dont have tatt's there just not my thing, I dont know if any of my staff have them, they keep them well hidden if they do, my previous PA used to have a few one on her rist, a pretty heavy back job and one on each of her ankels, and the usual catalogue no 1837 000 145 lower back tatt it didnt help her get the job and it didnt help her loose it (she did that all by her self) but I will say one thing they were pretty low rent in their quality

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #46
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

i had the top of my left ear pierced for quite a while.. grew out of it though.

got my left nipple pierced about 6 months back. my god, thats a procedure i shouldnt want to do again, but strangely think about it a bit. It had just about healed and i was out on a bender and woke up with the barbell lying next to me. couldnt get it back in easily and i was feeling a bit too tender to ram it through (didnt wanna cause injury).

My gf shook her head and said 'why'. couple guys at work (tradies) thought it meant i was gay and proceeded to tell me on most days. And my mates were about 50/50.

In the end, i didnt do it for anyone else but my own pleasure/curiosity. Next in line is to tattoo the top half of my back (another thing my missus doesnt want me to do, but its not her decision).
Old 13-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #47
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerjoolz
I may just do that Iggy....hubby whinged at all the other things I did too,and he still loves me lol
easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
Old 14-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #48
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
hahaha....I feel like one of the kids sometimes....honey can I please get ??? lmao

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #49
superyob
Banned

Body piercing is nothing more than a gross visual reminder about the fracturing values of a society that has been bullied into accepting, or remaining silent about, any deviancy.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #50
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...attoo-removal/
Old 14-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #51
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm nearly 40 and love all my tats. Don't regret any and I still want more. If you get one half hearted or to be "cool" then you will regret it. Plus it's the only thing in life you pay for that you can be assured you'll be buried with.
Old 15-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #52
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I got complimented by my 60 year old aunt today on my piercings so things can't be too bad! I guess I just have to live my life and not worry what other people think. So long as i'm happy, that's all that matters.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #53
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob
Body piercing is nothing more than a gross visual reminder about the fracturing values of a society that has been bullied into accepting, or remaining silent about, any deviancy.
And attitudes like that are proof of exactly how judgemental we as humans are, and the stigma that this kind of attitude causes is irritating.
As a socially responsible mid 20's adult, with plenty of piercing and tattoo experience, I find, besides what I've previously mentioned, that the only people that ask me about my piercings are other Girl Guide Leaders on trainings, asking how the girls/parents deal with it. Bottom point, they don't care. The parents know I'm a respectable, responsible adult, and that my piercings merely reflect one minor aspect of my personality, which is my fascination with body modification.

It has been happening for thousands of years, and in tribal communities is far more rife than in western civilisation.
And yet, for some reason, these tribes, though not sticking to our morals and ethics about responsibility within society, adhere to there own beliefs and standards, better than we do our own, and yet we are willing to point the finger and stereotype.

Going by your attitude, you'd box me in as a social deviant, and yet I'm an engineering student, about to graduate, have responsibilities in Girl Guides beyond that of a standard Unit Leader, and I hold down two jobs, and respect the laws and ethics we have as a society.

Old 16-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #54
superyob
Banned

Just like any other human being, I can be judgemental. I did not however, throw any stones at your character, just the practise of body piercing which I think is gross, unnecessary, not culturally linked to western values and one small reminder of why I despise postmodernist ideology.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #55
Lotte

No but your post read as though you implied that ANY body piercing is deviancy, which it is not.

Old 16-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #56
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate, let it go, If it what you want...you have to live with it, not them.
It is no difference to racisim....They don't even know you.
Mate, I am 40. I have both my nipples pierced. not that anyone sees them, but occasionaly at work the Tatt/Piercing conversation comes up at work...
People are usually shocked when I tell them...Once comment I got was " Its always the quiet ones" LOL
Old 17-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #57
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and its got me buggered why people stare at me....

pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #58
Lotte

I'm just sick of the stigma that comes with bodypiercings.

And yeah, it is always the quiet ones, I had a mate I would have thought was a complete blank canvas, found out he had one of the best backpieces I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Mate, let it go, If it what you want...you have to live with it, not them.
It is no difference to racisim....They don't even know you.
Mate, I am 40. I have both my nipples pierced. not that anyone sees them, but occasionaly at work the Tatt/Piercing conversation comes up at work...
People are usually shocked when I tell them...Once comment I got was " Its always the quiet ones" LOL

Old 17-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #59
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
I was the recipient of a few jibes from people on Saturday night due to my piercings. I don't care in the slightest, I was just curious as to why there was so much hatred directed towards me for my own personal choices. I laughed the comments off but the general feeling lingered as I made my way home. I want to understand the strong hatred(not dislike, these where powerful comments) behind the comments. Surely people can just respect another persons choices rather than project hatred towards them?
For those who would like to know, I have my nose, labret, top of left ear, bottom of left ear and top of right ear pierced, along with left nipple which no one sees.
Do others with some piercings recieve unnecessary hatred/comments due to their piercings? I am interested to hear thoughts.

i'll just give my thoughts on the matter mate . i think its the perceived image of a loser , especially by older people . the 1st image that pops into an older persons mind is , imagine this dude at a job interview ? ( no chance) , and the 2nd image or perception is , the dude doesnt really care and doesnt want a job anyway , and thats why he chooses to look like that , he may be cool now , but surfing or manufacturing drugs is not the kind of person i want my kids ahnging around or being like.
Harsh i know , and you cant judge a book by it's cover , but unfortunately society does .
on the other hand , i know this young dude who has peircings all over the place , and truly does not give a rats , and has no job ,or desire to get one , the amount of young attractive women this dude can shag at call , puts most men to shame . just telling it like it is .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post