View Poll Results: Which would you choose
Kia Optima 64 35.96%
Hyundai I45 34 19.10%
Give me a aussie car any day 80 44.94%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #61
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Which korean car would you choose?

The Kia is great value for money and a nice looking car. If they go ahead and bring out a station wagon version with the same styling and value, then I think the Terri will be getting traded in.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #62
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll take a Jap car at a bit more $$. I hate to say it but the build quality and technology in the small car area is so much better.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #63
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry if its already been said but they are the same car(engine/suspension/trans? not sure on) the KIA just looks better,an Optima is a tarted up hyuandi i45/sonata depending on what part of the world your in.

If I had to drive 1 id wouldnt say no to the optima.

Time will tell as all koreans if they will stand the test of time/depreiciation,I wouldnt lease one,unfortunatley new korean cars will be lucky get its residual back after 3 years. just go to an auction and see what a 2-3 year old fetches...not much!!!

In my opinion

Last edited by V8falcons; 21-05-2011 at 07:49 PM.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #64
Venomous1
5.0 means business

I'd rather a aussie built but the Kia styling is the right direction.
Old 22-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #65
kpcart
Banned

[/QUOTE]
The i45 looks ok in pics but in person its awkward, and thats from an AU owner.[/QUOTE]

i disagree. it looks great in person, better then in pictures, the AU on the other hand you are correct on. you sound like you think your AU looks better, thats like saying Magda Szubanski is better looking then Miranda Kerr. Each to their own.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #66
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
How many cars do we purchase in our life time? There is no way in hell id choose a Kia/Hyundai over a Mondeo or Focus...dont even try comparing them to a Falcon. Different segment, slightly different needs. A XR6T person wont cross shop the above.
A Fairlane/LWB person such as myself wouldn't cross shop the i45 or Optima. However, if for whatever reason, I was required to purchase a new car in this class, I'd take a Mondeo; I simply don't see what these two offer above a Mondeo, or even a Mazda 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
The i45 looks ok in pics but in person its awkward, and thats from an AU owner.
I agree competely. I also doubt that an i45 will drive as well as an AU does (especially one with IRS), judging by reviews. However, I'll reserve final judgement until I actually drive one.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #67
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

The i45 looks ok in pics but in person its awkward, and thats from an AU owner.[/QUOTE]

i disagree. it looks great in person, better then in pictures, the AU on the other hand you are correct on. you sound like you think your AU looks better, thats like saying Magda Szubanski is better looking then Miranda Kerr. Each to their own.[/QUOTE]
I disagree, I've seen a few i45s on the road, and they look ill-proportioned to me. Then again, I find the VT/VX Commodores and pretty much any modern Toyota ugly, so maybe I'm just strange.

If you're going to compare any car to Magda Szubanski, it'd have to be the VT Commodore
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #68
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
I agree competely. I also doubt that an i45 will drive as well as an AU does (especially one with IRS), judging by reviews. However, I'll reserve final judgement until I actually drive one.
The AU IRS was better than the BA IRS, it was not magical and in the big picture I have driven many many cars that drive better than both of them.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #69
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
A Fairlane/LWB person such as myself wouldn't cross shop the i45 or Optima. However, if for whatever reason, I was required to purchase a new car in this class, I'd take a Mondeo; I simply don't see what these two offer above a Mondeo, or even a Mazda 6.
A dealer network that a) cares; b) doesn't just look at the car dumbfounded when it is in for repairs

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #70
venthan87
Starter Motor

I think the Kia Optima is a damn good looking car, I'd have one of those I reckon.
venthan87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #71
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ok.... thought I would bring this thread back after driving the i45 for a week in Tassie.

It was a hire car from Avis, had 24,XXXkm on the clock.

From the onset it felt very robust and solid. The cabin is well insulated (from the front at least - more on that later) and the high waist line gave you an added sense of security. The seemingly low roofline is just an illusion, a tall driver would have no troubles with head room in this car.

Power was very good. Responsive and free-reving. If you drove this car a few years ago you would think you had a 2.7-3L V6 under the bonnet. Power was delivered to the road via a 6sp auto with sports mode. When driven smoothly you can hardly feel the shifts, almost as smooth as my sisters Audi with CVT. The engine was kept spinning between 1800 and 2200rpm and you were sitting on exactly 2000rpm at 110km/h.

You couldn't hear much from the engine unless you were really pushing it. You would arrive to 60 - 80 - 100km/h with minimal noise and fuss, almost too quiet for my liking.

Flick the gear stick to sports mode and that was a real let down. You couldn't really let the engine labour in any gear... If you were in 6th doing 100 and hit a slight incline it would sneakly drop down to 5th or 4th (even though it was indicating 6th on the dash). VERY frustrating... it pretty much changed down in sports mode as it would in auto mode.

In my LV TDCI Focus I can be in 6th and the engine will slow to 1100 or 1200 and still stay put in the gear I chose. I know they are very different engines but I think the Hyundai's shift program is a little too intrusive. I had the fuel consumption setting set to 'economy' so this may have played a part?

Brakes were excellent. Fast to bight and more then enough for the car. The traction control (that can be turned off) worked very well as did the ABS. Both were felt doing their job when I was driving through snow and made my job a lot safer and easier.

Space was plentiful. 4?? cup holders up front, deep door pockets and 2 centre console nooks that could be closed. 2 power sockets, 2 interior lights and rear leg room was fine for 3 adults. Boot space was also great. You could easily fit three 72cm suit-cases end up in the boot. I had a 72 and 75cm case laying flat on the floor as well as a small carry on case side to the floor, heaps of space (20-25cm) on top of all that till you filled the boot. Sun-glasses holder in the roof.

At first I though the ride and handling was a weakness of the car. The first few days I drove it I thought it floated around way too much and the suspension was way too soft. I didn't feel confident pushing it in the mountains and remember that Hyundai have spent big money fixing this very problem after many complaints. Perhaps mine was one of the original batch of cars??

Decided to fill her up and check the tyres.... 26psi all round! No wonder. Checked the door placard for correct pressure and for the 16inch wheels it was 33psi (for BOTH regular AND high speed / heavy load driving) which I found odd. Put the tyres up to 35 pounds and it felt MUCH better.

Hmmmmm Consumption? Ok, with 2 adults and 40kg of baggage we averaged a little over 9L per 100 combined on ULP. On the first tank where we did 60% freeway and 40% urban the computer said our average consumption was 8.1 litres. High 7's would be easy for total freeway cruising. On the flip side I did a few runs where I was on and off the accelerator constantly in the mountains and had economy at the very back of my mind and to my surprise the average was just over 10litres.

Dash layout was easy to understand and visually understated. lt was grey and looked a little like the dash of a much more premuim car (wife thinks it looked similar to the Aston Martin vantage I drove on my birthday - I think she could be a little right).

I was very impressed with the car as an overall package. The interior felt classy and the seats were comfortable. My wife liked the electronic fold in mirrors most (go figure...) No real creaks or groans to speak off from the car. Very worthy of a second look should anyone be looking for a largish 'medium sized car'.

So, the bad points??? (or what IMO could be improved).

1) The above-mentioned sports mode program with its tendency to drop gears too quickly.
2) The boot lid. It was either fully opened or locked. It could not be unlocked and down in the closed position (I think this is because it has a boot-open button on the alarm fob)... perhaps a fiddle with the springs could resolve this but I could see it being a pain for someone who is perhaps unloading a big stack of shopping from the boot in the rain.
3) The gear selector lights - always on and WAY too bright. They do not dim with the dash when adjusted.
4) Average consumption re-sets (I think) each time you fill up.
5) The high waist means it's VERY hard to see or judge the rear when reversing. NO reverse sensors!!!!
6) I don't think the temp gauge reads below 0 degrees.
7) The rear wheel wells need much more sound insulation. If you ran over any gravel or if something was flicked up it sounded like someone was twisting an empty coke can in the back seat - very cheap / tinny sound that could have been rectified very easily and should not have been allowed in final production.
8) Needs the 3 / 3.3L V6 as well as a 2.2 / 2.5L Diesel engine option.
9) Almost forgot! The door handles need MUCH more resistance! You pull the handle and open the door and think to yourself, was the door even closed to begin with?? It feels like you are opening a door that was only closed to the first notch in the locking / closing mechanism.

PS, drove the car 1650km in the week I had it.

Cheers,

Jason.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #72
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Fantastic write up Jason really appreciate the time u spent writing that. Out of 10 u would assume you would give the car a solid 6.5-7 no doubt.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #73
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2.0 GTDI has replaced the V6. My wife has the older 2.7 DOHC V6, and I think I would prefer the new 2.0 GTDI from what I have read about it.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #74
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As an owner of an i45 Premium myself, I found the review interesting and most points about the car are spot on. Kind of odd that you seemed concerned about sports shifting in a rental car though.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #75
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Fantastic write up Jason really appreciate the time u spent writing that. Out of 10 u would assume you would give the car a solid 6.5-7 no doubt.
Cheers!

Perhaps a little higher, say 7.5-8 / 10.
Old 13-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #76
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Hyundai brought in the Genesis V8 sedan..it would make things interesting!!!!
Old 13-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #77
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davez621
As an owner of an i45 Premium myself, I found the review interesting and most points about the car are spot on. Kind of odd that you seemed concerned about sports shifting in a rental car though.
Well, I had it for a week and always like to see and feel how the competition rate. I hired a Cruze for a week and did a similar write up last year.

One thing came to mind, you may know? In the drivers side door opening, between the hinges there is a circle sticker saying something like "PM Service schedule" or words to that effect. Seems to be needed every 5,000km and the intervals go around the circle much like a clock face.

Mine were scratched out up till 25,000km. What is this for??? Forgot to take a pic.
Old 13-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #78
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Kia

Because it has an Oval badge, and I could pull the Kia badges and replace them with Ford badges.

Just like a Festiva.

Lukeyson
Old 13-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #79
kinksta
Luxojet

Great write up Yellow Festiva!!

Hyundai have definitely upped their game. It is a good looking car, the lines resemble Mercedes, very Euro looking. I look forward to the Genesis!
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #80
Jimmyd
Banned

Given the choice I would naturally front up for the i45 - why would you date the ugly sister if the beauty queen is lying there waiting for you?
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #81
RAPID_BA
Banned

I was involved in considering a new car fleet for my former employer. They had a fleet of aurion and camry and considered hyundai and kia.

I was given the full array of kia cars for days at a time over a few weeks by kias head office, including optima, sportage, the box car van they do and the elantra version

My thoughts...

Sportage had a cheap feel to it, I like the ads but fairs fair it felt cheap. The 2.0 is gutless and the 2.4 barely acceptable. Its the best of the kia cars but feels like a cheap car, you won't mistake it for bmw X1.

The optima looked kind of ok but in my opinion styling that is a bit au. Has the same cheap feel as spportage, getz. Go sit in a volkswagon and just feel the quality.

The box car was a joke, in normal traffic I could drive it absolutely flat stick everywhere and it barely kept up in traffic. A shocking box design, terrible car

The little elantra sized car from memory was pretty good, it had a 2.0 six speed auto and from memory it was the performa in the bunch. It actually felt as good as other small cars and was fairly quick.

All in all it would be a big step back to go from a camry to optima or i45. If its all about the dollar then yes but for a bit of quality camry hands down or for a bit more falcon or even commodore.

I know for a fact that KIA actually had a P&L item called engine replacement for one of their models it was so common to be repaired under warranty. (Carnival)
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #82
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davez621
LOL. Let me guess, the guy is Indian or Pakistani? As a Hyundai owner myself, I can tell you the Getz is an absolute joke of a car. It offers good value for money and that's *all*. I think its laughable that security firms are using these as patrol cars. Imagine you're a crim - are you really going to be afraid if you see a little 1.4L hatchback approaching you?
As I Hyundai Getz owner myself, I can tell you right now that it' most certainly not a joke of a car. It's more reliable than the Falcons' i've owned since new, inc
my currrent FG XR8, had only 1 warranty return, it's build and materials is at least on par with it and it cost **** all to run with it's little 1.5, motor. Later models have 1.6's.

Agreed though, if it was a Police pursuit vehicle, i'd laugh at it ;)

I'd certainly consider both these cars if I were looking in this class. Both brands have come along in leaps and bounds over the last few years.

Last edited by Kieron; 13-07-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post