Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 30-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
kboukes

Default Thinking of buying a Fiesta, some questions for the learned

Hey guys im looking at buying a 2011 fiesta however ive heard some bad things about them from friends/mechanics...

The first one was a friend of a friend had problems with a manual 2010 fiesta and apparently the mechanics my dad has spoken to say that they are sketchy cars... however im not sure if they are particularly referring to the new ones.

Ive also read some really awesome press about them too, like not many owners having problems with their autos which is what im in the market for.

I thought id ask here if anyone has heard of any major problems with them as its not worth asking the dealer because of course hes going to say no way jose!

Or good stuff, if you love your new fiesta id love to hear that as well!

Many thanks,

Kboukes

kboukes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thinking of buying a Fiesta, some questions for the learned

Disregard most of your friends of friends. Problems get worse as the story gets told. Not many outside mechanics get their hands on new cars. The 6 speed auto is new to the range and as you have said has had some awesome reviews. Scan through the threads in this section and see if there are any majors but remember to compare like with like a 6 speed is NOT the old 4 speed.
Old 30-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
xr6tmatty
Starter Motor

Hey man i just bought my missus a new fiesta 5 speed manual and it seems to be very good although only just done 1000 clicks. i think no matter what you read you will find for and against every car you will ever look at i know i read a thread not long ago that said the auto where a bit bad to drive in traffic and some say they are great. I suppose the car will be as good as you drive it. Red line it all the time in a little car and im sure your to have some problems auto or manual...

I have been converted from the other side
xr6tmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
JClarke
Deaf Driver

I agree with deesun's comment about disregard any comments about the car.
I own a silver Fiesta ('09 model) and so far, it has been a great little car.
Old 30-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
kboukes

Yeah plus, for fiesta you get a lot of car for your buck..
on a side note, im negotiating prices anyone know what you can possibly get a 2011 metro grey fiesta auto hatch for, ive been quoted $18890 at Bris city, and have asked another bloke if he can better this. What have people managed to get them down to, do you know?

Thanks for the replies they are a really good help with deciding, (thought i think i already made my decision months ago on it!).
Old 30-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
charleystnt
2010 Zetec 5 door squeeza

I have a Jan built 2010 zetec, fantastic car, about to do the 30,000 service at 10 months old. I cannot recomend this car enough. 6 lts per 100 kms on average, great brakes, blue tooth etc. Fits four ok, buy one.
Old 30-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
kboukes

Yeah im just getting a CL as i never use cruise control and i dont like the alloys they come with, im going to add my own and get a tint.

oh update, can get it now for $18200.. this will own all over my peugeot 206 im upgrading from.

Plus awesome news, Bryan Byrt Ford was only going to give me 2 grand on a trade in, just sold it for 8500 privately, woo!
Old 31-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people don't like the 6-Speed PowerShift transmission in the new WT model. I didn't notice that much difference apart from the fact it loves to up change, but that's to save fuel so a bonus in my eyes. I love my WS Zetec. Has been a great car, as was my WP Zetec. I'll probably get a Focus next time (keep saying I'll change from Ford, but it's just wishful thinking!) but the Fiesta has been a great car for me. Make sure you have a good drive in it before committing, make sure the car fits your needs. Having a Pug right now, a Fez should be perfect.

Not sure on pricing, but if you're happy with it go for it. And I second your private sale, for a little bit more effort you get a heck of a lot more money! Good luck mate.
Old 31-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
somers181

I purchased a WT CL Auto in January 2011 and have it booked in for its 3,000kms "adjustment" this Saturday.
The car handles like a dream, the steering is so precise with electronic power steering you would think you are driving a race car set up. I also bought the CL in lieu of the LX and added after market wheels plus i prefer the plainer seat pattern than the swirls in the LX.
The 6 speed auto takes a bit of getting use to. I traded in an auto LS Focus and have had numerous other cars but the auto box in this car is like no other. In particular in peak hour traffic, i have found it to be a pig at times, it will suddenly want to change up quickly which causes the cur to jerk forwards quickly when you dont want it to. This has come close to me hitting the car in front twice, but that was early on. I am asking Ford to look at this as I am not the only one to complain about this. It revs very easily and wants to change up quickly from 2500 revs so either i need to relearn how to drive or the car does....
Also when reversing over more than a few meters the car seems to jerk as well as if there is more than 1 reverse gear and its changing as you are reversing.
Will provide more info after i see Ford on the weekend...
Old 31-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
kboukes

Thanks for that. I had a similar problem with my peugeot transmission, so maybe its something in the computer that they just have to plug in a laptop to fix. But i understand the type of thing you mean.

Thanks for posting!
Old 31-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Caydus

firstly, you're asking in a Ford (Enthusiast?) Forum, so I'm guessing we're not an unbiased 3rd party.

But as for experience with the car, i did have the jerking problems, but after the 3,000km service, most of that has gone away.
The auto loves to rev up the engine, which is good for power, it'll always be there on tap when you need it. It's not fast by any stretch of the word in a straight line, but it's amazing in the corners.

Did a safe driver's course with it and it was able to handle maneuvers which would send most cars spinning out or under/oversteering into cones.
People say traction control on a small front wheel drive car is useless, but I'd probably beg to differ in the tighter high speed turns you might do in an emergency situation.

Can't complain about the brakes, again, very tight, not "grabby" but very responsive.

The steering is again, like no other, effortlessly light to turn in tight parking, but remarkably responsive and weighty at speed.

Though i have noticed the reverse 'jerk' too and it's not the best thing to have when trying to reverse gently.
The rear window is pretty high up too, so it makes reversing visibility pretty bad. I ended up opting to have reverse sensors installed to correct that.

Biggest problem with the WT Fiesta is the rear seat leg-room isn't very good and the rear seat's headrest supports aren't very good either. In short, if you always have full adults in your rear seats, this is probably not the car for you.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I'm thinking of getting a manual Fiesta Econetic now that the XR6T money has come through. What are they like? Does anyone here have one?
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
caprispecial

I bought a wt lx auto in jan. for $19885 on the road with 12 monts reg. and its just now turned over 3000k.
I agree with somers181 obsevations about the auto but weve gotten used to ours now. At first I seemed to be always well over the speed limit the car doesnt sit" it just wants to build speed and its hard to tell what speed its doing without constantly checking the speedo. For that reason its much more relaxing to drive on the freeway using the cruise control.
I believe that the "phantom gearchanges" are just the computer changing the settings on the cams, it does seem like its got 7 forwards and two reverses.
This gearbox is not an auto in the old sense, its an automated manual box so the little judders and jumps are just probably similar to what any manual box does, when you think about it.
We needed to buy an auto this time and I still wanted a 1600 so there is really nothing out there in that group for that price thats better.
Finaly I cant wait to get the power steering out of a wrecked fiesta and fit it to my mk1 capri, quick rack and wide tyres makes for too heavy steering at low speeds. The new electric steering is compact enough to fit under the dash and out of sight.
caprispecial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
I'm thinking of getting a manual Fiesta Econetic now that the XR6T money has come through. What are they like? Does anyone here have one?
There is one on here. There are threads about his experiences so far. Just do a search for them and they'll come up.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
There is one on here. There are threads about his experiences so far. Just do a search for them and they'll come up.
Thanks Mr Zetec
Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
Thanks Mr Zetec
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ghlight=dj1979

I didnt have time to find it earlier. Here it is.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Thanks for that Mr Goes, I read it last night.
I am going to troll the dealerships for a test drive tomorrow, see what they are like.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
kboukes

Put my deposit down today. Friday comes ill be driving away in my new CL metro grey fiesta hatch!!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats! Be sure to post up your opinions of the auto and how you think the car drives.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Congrats on your purchase......
However;
I bought a 2010 WS CL manual 3 door in white brand new a year ago, with 17 inch wheels and cat back exhaust, KN filter. It is a great little car... finally.
Problems I have had with it:
*rust: it cost Ford over $9000 in parts to replace all the coroded parts of the car. I lost the car for 2 months while they did this.
* pinging. For the first 3 months the engine pinged its head off (always ran on 98 from new). Ford dealership not interested as there wasn't any fault lights showing on the dash. Only fixed after the engine was taken out while they replaced parts of the car due to rust: obviously rejigged when put back in.
*brakes. pedal went to floor completely a few times before I took it to my old mechanic who had to bleed huge air bubbles out of a brake system on a brand new car. Unbelievably scary to have no brakes in traffic, obviously.
*general build quality: I used to own a 1996 Mirage that was put together far more solidly than the Fiesta; with better brakes too.
Obviously the car wasn't checked over by the dealership (can I name them? - please let me know because no one should ever deal with them) when I paid for 'delivery.'
The Ford care system (when you call 13 FORD) is staffed by morons. The fact that you cannot contact anyone higher is a major problem. The fact that every dealership is privately owned is another huge problem - as Ford Australia has limited control - once the dealership buys the car off Ford your issues are with the dealership. The customer 'service' I experienced had to be seen to be believed. Unless you are cashed up and have a lawyer, it is useless persueing them thru Fair Trading - Australia has no lemon laws and technically Ford did nothing wrong.
Once these problems on a brand new $18K German made car have been overcome the car is quite good - excellent engine, good chasis however, if I had known about such problems I would never have bought the car and never, ever with buy another Ford as long I live (I'm 30). I regret not buying the Swift or even going up to a 3.
I strongly recommend getting the car thoroughly inspected before you sign any paperwork saying the car is to your satisfaction - mine wasn't cleaned inside - and inspect underneath the car in the dealership's workshop to make sure it hasn't been pounded by salt water in transit as mine obviously was. Before signing take your new car for a drive (it is your right) - because think of this - you buy the used car you drive, but unless you buy a demonstrator you test drive one new car and drive away in another, which may have huge problems with it.
The irony is of course, I bought a Skyline from Japan site unseen and never had one issue with it......
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #21
kboukes

was it a dealer north of brisbane?

I will check all this, thanks so much!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #22
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

No, Sydney, south west. Apologies but I only joined 2 days ago. Be extremely careful - once you sign for the car thats it. This is the only BRAND new car Ive ever bought, and of course the only one Ive ever had problems with. No exaggeration - I once bought a Camira, 10 yrs ago for $1000 from some dodgy looking dealer - BUt he was so friendly, no pressure, no problems with the car - if dodgy brothers dealers on parra rd can put Ford to shame then no wonder they are having problems globally.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #23
kboukes

thats great, i did join here to investigate stuff like this. So thats brilliant, at least I have some things to look for now, im taking both my dad with me (rebuilds old land rovers so he knows what things should look like and do) when i pick it up.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Mate, I posted this on the other thread you were on about the WT auto probs, so I just put it here too so you can see it b4 you pick the car up:

Just be careful with feeling assured with a warranty. Even tho my CL was riddled with rust underneath (like I said it cost Ford $9K to fix) Ford fought me at every turn.

The dealership plays the "your warranty is with Ford Australia, not us" card.

Ford Aus then plays the "we are waiting for the dealer to take action" card.

And so the game of ping pong goes on.

And when your car is in for warranty repairs you have to pay $50 a day for a courtesy vehicle so you can get to work: unless you are ultra aggressive like myself. You shouldn't have to be, but there you go.

Effectively once you sign on the line the problems are yours, not Fords.
That is mine, and several others on here, experience.

So mate; demand to inspect your car ON A HOIST before you sign a thing. If they refuse ask why they are doing so. I wish someone had told me to go over and under my brand new car before signing, thats why Im trying to help.

To the few who are nonchalantly saying 'oh well, ever car make has lemons, and these are only 2 cars with probs' consider this:

Over 90% of Fiestas are bought by women.

Therefore less than 10% are bought by men.

A microscopic amount of that 10% are on this Fiesta forum.

And yet there are many problems being highlighted: on a Ford biased FAN site!

That should ring alarm bells with Ford Aus and anyone considering buying a Ford.

If Ford Aus were serious about quality control and customer relations, ALL customers would receive excellent service and excellent cars.

These are $20K items that are being purchased. Not supermarket groceries for a buck or two. High turnover (compared to retail stores) is not what dealerships are about.

Each dealership only sells one or two Fiestas a week.

It can't be hard to ensure that these few cars are in tip top order before being delivered.

Ideally we should be on here discussing what great little cars these are (and they certainly are, once in working condition). With the miniscule % of owners on here there shouldn't be any problems being discussed. But they are.

I joined to celebrate my car finally working properly and seeing what other mods I could do - however when you see a thread asking for opinions and help, what are you supposed to do?
Old 13-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #25
kboukes

Picked up my Fiesta today, went over it with a fine tooth comb, came up nicely. Nothing wrong with breaks all bled properly, engine runs like a dream. Just an all out great car, im extremely happy with my purchase, photos to come, but lets face it, its the same as every other metro grey CL out there, lol.
Old 13-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #26
08ESE

i have a 2002 Honda jazz. As much as i like the new fiestas, i would still take a new jazz over one. Especially now that the jazz finally has bluetooth, stability control etc.

more room, easier to see out of, the 1.3 in the jazz performs just as well, my jazz returns 5.3L per 100. and in 8.5 years of owning it ( brought it new ) has has an air cond compressor **** itself, front brake pads, rear wheel bearings and thats all. it now has 150K on it.

i can also get an 8kg washing machine in the back of it, with its intelligent seating folded down in seconds. Honda also managed to spend an extra 50c to carpet the back of the back seats unlike ford.

ive driven all the small cars available, and jazz still wins in every day usability, economy etc. Mazda 2 had a nice engine, but the rest of the car was terrible, swift was all sorts of ok, fiesta was funky and fun, but not as practical for me. then i realised what trade they were offering and decided to keep my 02 jazz till its well and truly knackered

My sister just purchased a 2nd hand 03 jazz for 6900 , she figured if i cant kill mine ( and god knows ive tried ) no one can!

humor me, test drive one. I bet you ( like thousands of others ) never even considered one?

Last edited by 08ESE; 13-04-2011 at 10:56 PM.
08ESE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #27
kboukes

that was my second choice, thing that put me off though was that it looked like a mini honda odyssey/Tarago.

If it looked a little less...rocket-like id have one. Just comes down to personal taste in the end!
Old 13-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #28
Caydus

The jazz was my second choice when shopping around too. Great interior, very good economy. Not to mention the amazing folding seat thingy going on in the back.
If i was shopping for the only car in the family, I would have bought the Jazz.

Most of my dislikes about the jazz were subjective though. I didn't like the external look of it and in the test drive, the 1.3 auto was quite frankly, gutless. For all intents and purposes, it's enough to drive around the city with and even for a few round trips on the motorways, but it felt a notch slower than the corolla i used to drive.

The handling was pretty decent, not much body roll, pretty neutral for a FF hatch, but again, not much to write home about either.

When i first test drove the fiesta, i was in love with the powertrain. Other two contenders for me was the Yaris and the Jazz, both in 1.3. But the fiesta was a 1.6 and in auto, had comparable fuel consumption to the other two.
The DSG and the 1.6 together made for lagless acceleration and it just kept pulling. The power was great in comparison.

The drivetrain, coupled with the fully electric power steering and the audio system did it for me.

That and the Fiesta was cheaper than the Jazz by almost $1.5k before negotiation sealed the deal.

And yea, i do concede, the Fiesta isn't very practical when it comes to space. The rear seats have little to no legroom when there are 2 full sized adults in the front and the folding seats are pretty primitive in comparison to the folding u get in the Jazz, but i suppose it's personal preference and your personal use scenario.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #29
kboukes

very eloquently put and i totally agree!

Like all cars though, it does come down to personal choice.

I actually had a dealer try and sell me a fiesta on the basis that 'jeremy clarkson liked it'...

I lol-ed... but dealer experiences are a different matter...
Old 29-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #30
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Don't forget that a manual 1000kg Jazz is rated to pull 1000kg of braked trailer (that has to be a typo on their website, Drive has copied it too).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post