Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #61
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Default Re: Manufacturers other than ford you drive

I've got an 06 Hilux 4x4 a Peugeot 206 and my Fairlane at home..
Also, at work we've got Mazda Bravo 4x4's and Isuzu trucks.. So technically I do alot more km's in other manufacturers than my ford which only comes out twice a month..!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #62
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Land Rover Disco V8 and a VW Golf 2.0. Both great cars and serve their purposes well.
Old 22-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #63
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

As well as Fords, I regularly drive my father's 1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK. It's an absolutely deplorable car.

The V6 is absolutely gutless, with approximately zero low down power, but it makes a lot of noise, giving the driver the illusion of it being 'fast' (a characteristic I have observed with many V6s, such as those in a Commodore). My grandfather's AU Futura (with only 2 more kW in a much heavier car) just seems to have so much more urge, making it a dream to drive. Tell me again why manufacturers decided to replace the inline six and replace it with the supposedly more 'technologically advanced' V6?

As well as this, I have major problems with the way the car handles. I'd say that it is a great pain to drive it at freeway speeds, as you're constantly having to make corrections just to keep the damn thing going in a straight line! In comparison, the AU actually goes where you point it! The steering is also over assisted, providing absolutely zero feedback. It is also far too indirect.

Mercedes-Benz has a reputation within the general public of being a manufacturer of 'quality' cars. To me, the word 'quality' has connontations of a well-built product which will simply keep on working, and a low chance of things going wrong. This particular Mercedes-Benz simply doesn't fit that description. It is the automotive embodiment of Murphy's Law; everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong. The rear seats no longer close, the electric driver's seat does not move at all, pieces of trim within the cabin are falling off (ashtray lids no longer close, and we never even used the ashtray!), and there are a whole host of little electrical gremlins. The engine has been nothing but a source of problems. It has run rough since day one, and at less that 100 000 kilometres, decides to blow a head gasket. It's not like the car was treated poorly; it has done only 100 000 kilometres in 13 years, and always serviced to the regular intervals. How much did this thing cost new? $140 000? Where did all that money go to?

I hate to keep harping on about the AU, but I feel that it needs to be mentioned. It's odometer reading is nearing 250 000 kilometres, and has been treated with far less respect than the Merc (it certainly hasn't been serviced at every interval!). Not a single thing has gone wrong with it, and it goes and handles much better than the Mercedes. You could say that there are more electronic items in the Mercedes to go wrong (but the only real feature that the Merc has over the Falcon is electric seats, and those failed years ago), but my mother's old BMW travelled 200 000 kilometres, had more electronic gadgets, and the only item to go wrong is the rear left electric window.

The worst part is, before owning the Mercedes for 13 years, my father owned an E36 M3. For only two years. I will never know what he was thinking the day he traded it in. Saying that I prefer driving the AU is quite a large understatement.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #64
red_hotxr6
Banned

Toyota lite ace work van......other wise, its all fords
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #65
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden Rodeo, Pulsar SSS, Nissan X-Trail, Hilux.

Lots of cars in our household.

The SSS, Rodeo and XR6T are mine though.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #66
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
As well as Fords, I regularly drive my father's 1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK. It's an absolutely deplorable car.

The V6 is absolutely gutless, with approximately zero low down power, but it makes a lot of noise, giving the driver the illusion of it being 'fast' (a characteristic I have observed with many V6s, such as those in a Commodore). My grandfather's AU Futura (with only 2 more kW in a much heavier car) just seems to have so much more urge, making it a dream to drive. Tell me again why manufacturers decided to replace the inline six and replace it with the supposedly more 'technologically advanced' V6?

As well as this, I have major problems with the way the car handles. I'd say that it is a great pain to drive it at freeway speeds, as you're constantly having to make corrections just to keep the damn thing going in a straight line! In comparison, the AU actually goes where you point it! The steering is also over assisted, providing absolutely zero feedback. It is also far too indirect.

Mercedes-Benz has a reputation within the general public of being a manufacturer of 'quality' cars. To me, the word 'quality' has connontations of a well-built product which will simply keep on working, and a low chance of things going wrong. This particular Mercedes-Benz simply doesn't fit that description. It is the automotive embodiment of Murphy's Law; everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong. all, pieces of trim within the cabin are falling off (ashtray lids no longer close, and we never even used the ashtray!), and there are a whole host of littlThe rear seats no longer close, the electric driver's seat does not move ate electrical gremlins. The engine has been nothing but a source of problems. It has run rough since day one, and at less that 100 000 kilometres, decides to blow a head gasket. It's not like the car was treated poorly; it has done only 100 000 kilometres in 13 years, and always serviced to the regular intervals. How much did this thing cost new? $140 000? Where did all that money go to?

I hate to keep harping on about the AU, but I feel that it needs to be mentioned. It's odometer reading is nearing 250 000 kilometres, and has been treated with far less respect than the Merc (it certainly hasn't been serviced at every interval!). Not a single thing has gone wrong with it, and it goes and handles much better than the Mercedes. You could say that there are more electronic items in the Mercedes to go wrong (but the only real feature that the Merc has over the Falcon is electric seats, and those failed years ago), but my mother's old BMW travelled 200 000 kilometres, had more electronic gadgets, and the only item to go wrong is the rear left electric window.

The worst part is, before owning the Mercedes for 13 years, my father owned an E36 M3. For only two years. I will never know what he was thinking the day he traded it in. Saying that I prefer driving the AU is quite a large understatement.

If the FPV GT-P is nothing more than a tarted up Falcon XT, then a Merc C63 is nothing more than a tarted up C180. And unlike the C180, the Falcon XT actually goes and handles.
I don’t get it. You say your father’s CLK is always serviced, why aren’t the problems you’ve outlined addressed as part of normal on going maintenance or are they just left to fall apart?

I guess if you want to be pedantic then you are probably right about the FPV GT-P being a tarted up Falcon XT but you can’t say the same of the C63.

Get with the times. The days where AMG took a stock Mercedes and only bolted on ‘go fast bits’ are well and truly over.

The C63 only shares the cabin and some interior parts with the regular C Class. For example the chassis rails are unique to the C63 and are based on the SL63 and longer than the standard C Class rails. The C63 engine is also installed further back in the engine bay, both these changes help with weight distribution. This also means the front guards and bonnet of a C63 won’t fit a regular C Class without modification as they are also longer. I could add the wider front and rear track and an extensive list of other parts and design changes but my basic point is made.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #67
Ibrox90
Banned

2nd preferance to the Fords, is anything mitsibushi or subaru.

While Subaru or mitsibushi artent hugely quick they can take a thrashing, id take another magna or forrester in a second. And the sigma takes a beating

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #68
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Other than the Focus I regularly drive:

* The wifes Mitsubishi Mirage -very good car actually for its age,
* My Fiat Coupe - fast but very nose heavy
* My brothers 2007 Diesel Hilux - Pretty comfortable, but too large, great for towing.
* My dads 2004 petrol Hilux - Does it's job well, doesn't consume all that much when driven carefully but bumpy as all hell.
* Mums 2006 Santa Fe - leather and electric everything. Doesn't feel as big as it appears.
* The father in laws 2010 320d beemer. Don't like it to be honest, very complicated dash and you are always worried about where it's parked or getting it damaged....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #69
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota Aurion , NOT my choice , a poxy company car and ocassionally my missus's Mazda Premacy , Great little car .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #70
Snake Bite

Mazda 6 wagon, excellent car
Old 23-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #71
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Subaru

at work, Scania's (normally have a driver though)
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #72
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

08 Pajero Platinum Diesel which is AWESOME and a 02 Corolla Wagon... which is woeful. Never would i buy another toyota product again. The whole Toyota experience wasnt a pleasant one.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #73
XPfalcon170

85 4runner with the 2.0ltr petrol. tis slow but i love it. haha
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #74
Stealth00

2004 Nissan X-Trail
2001 Toyota Corolla
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #75
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I drive my 80 series landcruiser through the week and it also doubles as recreational car ( camping, 4x4ing etc ) My missus drives the BA futura everyday and we use it on long trips. 62 XL Falcon in the shed for weekend cruises
Old 24-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #76
EB_5.0_WAGON
Formerly known as NUDGE

I dont drive a ford of any kind at the momentas the only car we have is a Landcruiser( had to sell the EB when we had too many kids)
The other thing i sometimes drive is
2004 Toyota Prado GXL
EB_5.0_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #77
phat608
Starter Motor

i have a ba xt for work the missus has a 01 commodore and a yami.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #78
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

Besides my FG work ute and my VE2 SS, I get a drive of my wifes work cars sometimes. The Yaris 3 door, small but fun, revs out to 7k. The Triton and Rodeo arent too bad, a bit of a rough ride though.
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #79
Big Bird 17

I've got a corolla i drive out to work.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #80
Wheelbarrow74

My daily is the Mazda 121 Metro '99. Great little car, reliable, VERY efficient, and an agile too. Mine has the bigger 1.5l engine + a 5 speed box Done a couple of little mods such as a Alpine headunit, strut brace, and a pair of HID Hella 4000 spotties... yeah!!!

Wheelbarrow74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #81
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

A mint condition W126 Mercedes.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #82
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8snerlo
I mostly drive around in a VW Jetta 2.0 TFSI. Great car. It is basically a GTI Golf in disguise. The ultimate sleeper car. It has the same engine, brakes, suspension, 17" rims, DSG gearbox etc but in a body with a boot that is bigger than my XR8. It is incredible. I can fit so much more in the thing. It amazes me. And it goes like a scalded cat too. When my XR8 was stock standard, they have exactly the same 0-100 time (7.2 sec). Plus the fuel economy is much better. I can't recommend it enough. And those germans sure do know how to build a car. The quality is great. If you ever get a chance to drive one, do it!!
Leon
Can't agree more. I traded my XR6 for jetta 2.0 TFSI. Best thing I've done in a while. Now it's tuned. I kill %90 of the FPV's (except the SC) and HSVs at the red lights. The funny thing is they never expect a jetta to go like that.
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #83
snap

My other ride is 1981 W126 380 SEL MERCEDES , lowered with mags,10%window tint, just replaced the 380 with a 500 engine,stainless twin system Pick it up tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyMerc.jpg (15.2 KB, 50 views)
166.2RWKW.
CHEERS SNAP

Last edited by snap; 03-04-2011 at 08:16 PM.
snap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #84
Hakujin1977
Starter Motor

the misses' daewoo espero
what a heap of ******!
but it was free so shouldn't complain
Hakujin1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #85
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express
I don’t get it. You say your father’s CLK is always serviced, why aren’t the problems you’ve outlined addressed as part of normal on going maintenance or are they just left to fall apart?
I get your passion for a Benz, I've had it for years. Oddly, spending a bunch of hard earned on one had cured me. Just because you take it back and back and ask them to fix it DOES NOT mean they will fix it.

Our C250 is not at all flash. If I'd bought a Great Wall id be unhappy that I was dumb and skimped out. But i didn't I bought a Mercedes Benz. For the price of 4 Great Walls.

In the last decade we have had 2x AU's, 2 x BA's, 1 x BF and 1 x SY Territory. They have not been faultless, but between them they have had less faults than 1 Benz. Excessive oil consumption, uses water (coolant), steers left, blows blue smoke, radio changes channels when you flick the climate control quickly, exhaust rattles, ipod integration failed, LED lights failing. Thats all I remember for now.

But even thats not the issue. It's Benz's lack of service. The car has been back to the dealer several times with both the dealer and I've followed up with Benz Australia. Apparently our car is fine. It's not.

So I can sympathise with Fairlaneman, however our is not a 98 model. It's 10 months and 26K km old.

For all the Ford bashers on here, dudes, the grass is not greener.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #86
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my car, 90 mitsubishi pajero 2.5td, 300k's to a quarter of a tank.
her car 90 Ea Ghia, running real good now,touch wood.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #87
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just charged up the battery on our old '57 Morris Minor and took it for a spin around town...

...in terms of smiles per cubic inch this thing is as much fun as a big block...it's a hard man who can flog a Morris Minor around the place and not crack a grin...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #88
4stanger