Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: New small car suggestions - not a Fiesta/Mazda 2/VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Thank you all for replying. I'm throwing everything at them.

Even taking in to account that this is a Ford forum I still think that the Fraud Siesta (Ford Fiesta[/URL] - sorry it's an old joke from an Iain Banks novel) is the best, Polo second and some very good Euros filling up the minor placings.

I don't know what they have against Fords but apparently it's non-negotiable and a deal breaker. They test drove the Mazda 2 (the Fiesta's prettier if slightly worse handling sister) & still thought that the Polo was more "them".

They are good people, not badge snobs. This will be their first new car and I think that it'll be around for a while so they want to chose right.

Eight on this page here so some are available.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...5%204294733316
Perhaps it is time to see if they can buy interstate and have it transported or run it in on a road trip.
Old 28-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #32
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I'd wait for the VW. It's obviously what they really want. If they lose patience and go for something else it'll always be the second choice and they will regret it in the long run.

If they absolutely cannot wait a few more months then maybe the Hyundai I20 or the Toyota Yaris will fit the bill.

The anti-Ford stance is hard to fathom, there's nothing wrong with the Fiesta. Has your mate ever articulated exactly what it is that won't allow him to even consider the Ford??

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #33
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they dont like the Fiesta and the 2 theres not much hope for them , probably the two standout cars in the class , you just cant feed Strawberries to Pigs .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #34
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Toyota Corolla Conquest. 16" Alloys, Chunky Leather Steering wheel, 6stack cd with ipod/mp3/USB/bluetooth, cruise control, sunroof... At around 26k, you can finance one at 4.9% making it appear cheaper.

For the fella who said Toyota iQ would suit them. Perhaps so, but from what I've been told if it ever reaches Australia it will be as dear if not dearer than a Corolla.
Old 28-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #35
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
If they dont like the Fiesta and the 2 theres not much hope for them , probably the two standout cars in the class , you just cant feed Strawberries to Pigs .
LOL too funny. Difficult to fathom the logic of dislikinga 1.6 litre Fiesta, best car in that class, no question.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #36
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
To be honest and not waste your time any more, if they're unwilling to pay more money, buy the known best 2-3 cars in the class, buy used or even discuss something that isn't a VW, why the he'll are you pleasuring their every folly? They clearly want and need the VW BADGE IN THEIR DRIVEWAY!! I know the type to a tee.

I gave up trying to convince my best mate to be logical when he lusted for a magnificent $45k Golf VI GTI with 18" rims, no Bluetooth and no leather. Almost considered committing him to a mental home for denying a $33k Drive Away XR5 with Leather and voice control plus standard 18"s imported straight from Germany or something else other than a Golf until I realized that he wanted to knowingly and openly pay $13k more for virtually the same thing. One word - Volkswagen.

I ended up helping him find a ripper deal on said GTI and even visited dealerships interstate for him to check out some Internet cars. I just helped him get what he wanted and accepted I wouldn't be paying for it so it was his choice.

I told him to not call me when the DSG self-lunches or even after he sees the bill for his first service but he couldn't be happier.
This sort of thing happens all the time. Just repeat your post with any brand (or model) the person wants replacing VW and it will apply. I know we are all (well most) ford fans here so aren't the best example but to be honest there is very little logic or fair comparison going on in the marketplace. If there was, i suspect a hell of alot more hyundais, kias, fords, mazdas etc would be on the roads and alot less 'mid pack' brands. And alot less premium stuff too given their penchant for overcharging.

Fact is that enthusiasts often pick odd cars because of historical brand alliance, particular engineering features or the way the thing drives. That doesn't mean they are pickign the best car for themselves but at least they are car nuts who acccept the penalty. I can't understand why alot of average joes (whatever their budget) who apparently have no interest in cars (so they claim) feel the need to buy a particular make or model. Must be the sense of image or self worth or something.

Fact is that buying a car has alot to do with emotional or psychological reasons not just logic. I've seen peopel pay thousands more than they should to buy brand A over brand B....in some cases buy a totally inapropriate car just so the coudl satisfy some sort of personal need. In some cases they admit years later (usually while trading said car in on a similarly unsuitable model) that they 'bought the wrong car'.

In modern consumer society the theory is if you have the coin its your money so get whatever you want. I thnk that is a dangerous idea. People consult engineers when they want to extend their house, they go to computer experts to fix their laptops but when it comes to cars everyone thinks they are an expert. With the info avaialble these days online its easy as pie to compare cars and come to some sense of informed choice. But instead they just want what they want, and despite admitting privatley its probably teh wrong car they will do anything to convince themselves and others it the right car....grrr...very frustrating....

For the OP case i agree with zetec. They probably always wanted the polo for the VW badge or whatever other mostly illogical reasons but now its wating too long they are trying to convince themselves that somethign else is 'good enough'. Tough case if you ask me because their hearts (yes hearts...not minds...no logic here) are set on that brand and that model. Alot of good suggestions made by others worth looking at....hyundai i30 and the swift are good ideas. As for the mazda 2....well its just a slightly inferior fiesta. To buy one over a fiesta now is frankly dumb...espeiclaly in auto form with teh fez having dsg 6 speed....

I pitty the OP chances because frankly its very hard to make any sort of reomendation when the people you are dealing with are clearly illogical. Frankly if they don't want a fiesta just because its a ford then they dont' deserve it any way....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #37
1TUFFUTE
Banned

anyone mentioned the audi a3 i think it is. Some friends bought one a few years ago...it was all about the badge..it was also alot of compromise......
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #38
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

One of them really doesn't like the look of the Fiesta (I didn't either at first) and the interior (& the similar Mazda 2's) are getting the thumbs down. The search continues......what do people reckon about Alfa MiTos?

As far as I'm concerned they look fabulous, are meant to drive/ride/handle a fair bit less than best in class & the reliability & resale would be a bit hmmmm. They can't wait the extra months that VW will take to get a car to them.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #39
BrisVegas
Noobie

Shame they don't like the Fiesta. Ripper car. The Polo is no better, for more money.

If they've got low-$20k's to spend, check out the deals on Mazda 3 and Lancer.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #40
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

IMO the three best small cars in that price bracket...

Ford Fiesta
VW Polo
Suzuki Swift

If they had a deposit down and don't like anything else then they should wait. Otherwise are they making the correct decision in buying a new car when they are limiting themselves to a certain market and don't want anything else dearer or slightly bigger?

Maybe they should stick to what they have?
Old 29-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #41
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
One of them really doesn't like the look of the Fiesta (I didn't either at first) and the interior (& the similar Mazda 2's) are getting the thumbs down. The search continues......what do people reckon about Alfa MiTos?

As far as I'm concerned they look fabulous, are meant to drive/ride/handle a fair bit less than best in class & the reliability & resale would be a bit hmmmm. They can't wait the extra months that VW will take to get a car to them.

Nice cars, I dont personally like the styling on them.

Alfa reliability these days is quite good... And I don't agree with the assertion that they drive a fair bit worse than best in class

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post