Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Today in Ipswich, Qld.

All will know of the floods which went through SE Queensland recently.
This morning Prince William met some of the families devastated by the floods & some of those who volunteered after the floods to help others.
Was one of the lucky ones invited to attend.
Got a few photos to make you all feel special:
The Mayor:

Mmmmm, note the ear piece; the thickness of the singlet at the left shoulder, oh yeah, the bumbag.....

And William, who spent as much time as possible talking with the victims & volunteers.

After an hour he hopped into the motorcade, off the Amberly, then Grantham & Toowoomba.
During the sausage sizzle after he left, most comments were related to him being a good bloke and very genuine in his comment and manner.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Re: Today in Ipswich, Qld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_80
This is Ford Forums. Not Womans Weekly.
Seriously. If you don't have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread, why post in the first place???

Burnout, did you actually get to speak to Prince William yourself?
Old 20-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Just a brief "G'day mate". Got a smile and a wave.

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 20-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Today in Ipswich, Qld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Seriously. If you don't have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread, why post in the first place???

yeterday at a ham radio function the mayor made himself very available , interesting bloke to speak with and very into the car culture of the area which as I discovered is a genuine interest , dunno about the pommie but he didn't invite me along :P
The big P Mr mayor seems a decent bloke if it matters
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Yeah, he's a good bloke - works hard for the City.
He does like his cars - he even defends the 'Lappers' in Ipswich who come out Thrusday, Friday, Saturday nights.
Bloke collects cups, cups n' saucers and the like. He has the big MS.

RTV Power
Old 20-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Yeah, he's a good bloke - works hard for the City.
He does like his cars - he even defends the 'Lappers' in Ipswich who come out Thrusday, Friday, Saturday nights.
Bloke collects cups, cups n' saucers and the like. He has the big MS.
Its probably because Ipswichs CBD business is suffering massively. Courtesy of Riverstink and the recent floods. Paul does come across as a decent bloke, a rarity in politics for sure.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The Council, lead by Pisasale brought the Ipswich City Mall a couple of years ago - he;s just done a deal with Leighton Holdings to fix the joint up, he told me last week at a dinner that the deal is worth 3 billion.
Politically he & I would be diametrically opposed, however the bloke does a very good job.

RTV Power
Old 20-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
The Council, lead by Pisasale brought the Ipswich City Mall a couple of years ago - he;s just done a deal with Leighton Holdings to fix the joint up, he told me last week at a dinner that the deal is worth 3 billion.
Politically he & I would be diametrically opposed, however the bloke does a very good job.
I'm in Caboolture and was listening to the local radio the other week. They had the local chamber of Commerce on and they were raving about the Ipswich Mayor and what he's done for Ipswich. Seems a good bloke.
Old 20-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
All will know of the floods which went through SE Queensland recently.
This morning Prince William met some of the families devastated by the floods & some of those who volunteered after the floods to help others.
Was one of the lucky ones invited to attend.
Got a few photos to make you all feel special:
You threw it out there, Burnout, so I guess it's open to comment.
Nothing about Prince William,(nor any of his family) make me feel special.
No disrespect to you or anyone else who wants to go and see him...I am thinking to myself though, given the context of his visit, and the dollar figure involved,(and I'm thinking security, hospitality, the attendant state and fedral functions with all the other representatives of the royal family we already have over here, airfares,ad nauseum.....) would this kind gesture not have translated better to money spent on the flood rehabilitation?
It is actually still going on...

The timing is cynically strange to me in that it is close enough to the event to be relevant, but far enough away to drag a bit of attention towards that all encompassing panacea that every royal family tends to need every once in a while... a ROYAL wedding.
Again, no disrespect intended whatsoever, but curious to know why you felt like "one of the lucky ones"?
Old 20-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeah, Pisale is a decent bloke. Anyone who can arrange a dump and burn for their towns xmas carols is fine by me. He needs to learn how to use his top button though.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
zdcol71
zdcol71

"This message has been deleted by DJM83. Reason: Dont like it dont comment"
Not sure that wasn't a little too quick to delete something that ,to me ,wasn't really in breach of site t&c
Old 20-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

He gets good rapes all over, from what I hear.
People here luv the bloke.
Someone was telling me last year how they rang him up growling about some Federal Department problem, most would have said, 'not my problem ring Julia/Kevin (who ever)'. This bloke says, "Give me a day or so and I'll get back to you."
Sure enough they got a call from some egg in Cantberra, and an ministerial letter a few days later.
That's local service for you!
He stirred up all that happened today too: organised a venue to hold all the people, put on lunch, donated by local Butcher & cooked by the Army/Air Force blokes from Amberly; top job all round actually.

RTV Power
Old 20-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
No disrespect to you or anyone else who wants to go and see him...I am thinking to myself though, given the context of his visit, and the dollar figure involved,(and I'm thinking security, hospitality, the attendant state and fedral functions with all the other representatives of the royal family we already have over here, airfares,ad nauseum.....) would this kind gesture not have translated better to money spent on the flood rehabilitation?

The timing is cynically strange to me in that it is close enough to the event to be relevant, but far enough away to drag a bit of attention towards that all encompassing panacea that every royal family tends to need every once in a while... a ROYAL wedding.
Again, no disrespect intended whatsoever, but curious to know why you felt like "one of the lucky ones"?
Don't let it worry you - make what ever comment you like; its an open forum after all.
Just remember, I didn't say at any time that I supported the Royals or the Constitutional Monarchy......... I do on occasion, when it suits me support the local community.....

RTV Power
Old 20-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Don't let it worry you - make what ever comment you like; its an open forum after all.
Just remember, I didn't say at any time that I supported the Royals or the Constitutional Monarchy......... I do on occasion, when it suits me support the local community.....
Again, no offence intended, just felt a note needed to be made that, as you say, it is an open forum to all..seems not to old mate a couple of posts ago who passed comment and was deleted,..and for the record,I too am a big supporter of local community, but wouldn't be bothered when the message is lost in the messenger.(Just a quick aside to that, ...any flood or cyclone relief that we would recieve from overseas aid, read GB, would be allocated ,not by the royal family, but by the British government)
Old 20-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Again, no offence intended, just felt a note needed to be made that, as you say, it is an open forum to all..seems not to old mate a couple of posts ago who passed comment and was deleted,
I reckon he missed the point of the OP, something that occurs a far bit on here that I have seen, particularly for those who have just joined us. Still the Umpire or the Mod, in this situation, has the call on all occasions......

I still reckon William did a good job today..... given his schedule.

RTV Power
Old 20-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I reckon the Mayor done a great job in the floods. And his comments on what to do with the looters were classic .............
Old 20-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
his comments on what to do with the looters were classic .............
Yeah! I took all the veggies outa me fridge, just on the off chance they caught one and put him in the stocks......

RTV Power
Old 20-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #18
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

That bloke makes me proud to live in ipswich...he says what most people dare not say, his opinions on druggies in the parklands and the looters make me giggle as I believe he's one of the few pollies that 'really' cares. You said he has MS, as in multiple sclerosis?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #19
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
You said he has MS, as in multiple sclerosis?
Yes it is......

RTV Power
Old 21-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #20
351EL

Quote:

You obviously didn't go through any of the natural disasters that have happened in this country in the last few months.
What it has done is lifted the moral of the local community for a few days and made people feel normal again.
I see your in Brisbane did you put your hand out for the $1000?
351EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 02:40 AM   #21
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351EL
You obviously didn't go through any of the natural disasters that have happened in this country in the last few months.
What it has done is lifted the moral of the local community for a few days and made people feel normal again.
I see your in Brisbane did you put your hand out for the $1000?
I agree. Sure it costs a bit to have him come out in terms of preparations (not sure how much if any is picked up by th royal family itself though) but it is worth it in the end if it picks up the morale. Also it would be covered globally as are his comments which were very supportive of the locals and pointed out that these areas are coming back and so is great for tourism in particular for FNQld.

As a former FNQ dweller its an area that relies on tourism (as does all of qld) and it will certainly benefit from having overseas people see it on TV looking much better than it has in recent times (even if there is still much to do)

Good to see an Innisfail resident on here. I lived around that way for the first 18 years of my life.... Been wet much lately 351?? (inside joke for all far north qlders.....lol)

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #22
zdcol71
zdcol71

[QUOTE=351EL]You obviously didn't go through any of the natural disasters that have happened in this country in the last few months.
What it has done is lifted the moral of the local community for a few days and made people feel normal again.I see your in Brisbane did you put your hand out for the $1000?QUOTE]

By
"You obviously didn't go through any of the natural disasters that have happened in this country in the last few months.", do you mean was I overseas, or perhaps actually flooded out?? Answer to both questions, no, I was in town though, during the floods, and if assisting family and friends in the clean up for a month doesn't count ,then your'e right.
As for your statement about putting my hand out for $1000,WTF does that mean??
Old 21-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
zdcol71
zdcol71

[QUOTE=Swordsman88]I agree. Sure it costs a bit to have him come out in terms of preparations (not sure how much if any is picked up by th royal family itself though) but it is worth it in the end if it picks up the morale. Also it would be covered globally as are his comments which were very supportive of the locals and pointed out that these areas are coming back and so is great for tourism in particular for FNQld.

As a former FNQ dweller its an area that relies on tourism (as does all of qld) and it will certainly benefit from having overseas people see it on TV looking much better than it has in recent times (even if there is still much to do)
QUOTE]
I don't doubt for one moment that morales will have been boosted, that wasn't my point.
I think your "costs a bit" is somewhat of an understatement, and I'll wager pennies to pounds how much the royal family actually does cover,(and I'm sure it will be closer to "if any"than to"how much").
As for the event being covered globally...do you think many outside Oz, and the UK itself really give a titular head of state??
Old 21-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #24
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
I don't doubt for one moment that morales will have been boosted, that wasn't my point.
I think your "costs a bit" is somewhat of an understatement, and I'll wager pennies to pounds how much the royal family actually does cover,(and I'm sure it will be closer to "if any"than to"how much").
As for the event being covered globally...do you think many outside Oz, and the UK itself really give a titular head of state??
Normally an official visit is funded by the UK government, but recent trips to Australia have been covered by the Australian government. Given the nature of his visit I dare say the expense might have been shared around a lot more (possibly even) entirely by the royal family this time.

And the UK is a critical market for Queensland tourism.
Old 25-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Been an Ippy boy all my life, I think Paul Pisasale is been the best mayor Ipswich has ever had. He is for the people and cares deeply for Ipswich and supports local sporting communites, aswell as the car enthusiast scene. I don't know where he finds the time to do all that he has done. And all this from a bloke who is suffering MS, but have you ever heard him use it as an excuse? Top bloke, it'll be a sad day for Ippy when he decides to stand down as I don't think he would ever be voted out.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post