Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default NSW Xmas toll more then halved - police presence?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...n-half-of-2010

Quote:
NSW drivers are finally getting the message as police announce that the holiday road toll has been more than halved.
The NSW police Operation Safe Arrival ended on Friday with a road toll of 10, less than half of the previous year's toll of 22.
Police Minister Michael Daley called the figures "very very good results" but urged people not to forget the 10 families suffering after this year's deaths.
"Let's get the figure down to zero next year," he told reporters in Sydney on Saturday.
The minister said there were 535 fewer major crashes over this holiday period compared to last year - resulting in almost 200 fewer injuries.
"That's 200 fewer families that won't go through a life of misery," he said.
"There's been a massively increased police presence.
"The police conducted over this holiday road period 463,000 random breath tests.
"It has reaped huge benefits - 451 fewer people charged this holiday period compared to last year. People are finally starting to get the message that it's just not OK to drink and drive," he said.
Police charged 13,000 people with speeding - down more than 2000 compared to last year.
"There were police all over NSW on major roads and backstreets over the holiday period and we'll keep that up over the rest of January to make sure families get home safe," he said.
Detective Inspector J.J. Cassar told reporters the next operation will be for January 20-26 - the period leading up to and including Australia Day.
AAP's national Christmas road toll figures are for the period 0001 December 17 to 2359 January 3. Some states and territories have different periods.
ANZPAA (the Australia New Zealand Police Advisory Agency) advises its road toll period is effective from 0001 December 24 till 2359 January 7.
So NSW hails police presence, QLD hails speed cameras (fail)... I hope these statements mean something for the NSW govt making claims about preventing road tolls...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

A great result but in contrast the only thing even close to law enforcement I saw around my local area over the Christmas/New Year break was that bloody speed camera Territory.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
dylancox

Strong Aussie Dollar => Cheaper to go overseas than to hit the road => Lower Road Toll?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Yeah there was a huge police presence in and around my area, got picked up a couple of times in really odd spots where they wouldn't normally be, so good on em.

Surprised they didn't thank it on the mobile speed cameras and safety cameras.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I found that one day, within a 20km trip i went past at least 13 police vehicles, one of which was hiding at the bottom of a bridge going downhill behind a bush under an overpass with his little gun.....

Never seen that amount in my life.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news its down, but im happy to be a sceptic, probably just luck as ive seen tons of heavily policed holiday seasons over the years where road toll records have been broken for the worse.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I dont know about you guys but i have noticed the roads and shops for that matter to be unusually quiet for this time of year i put that down to 2 things;

Ppl that can afford to go away have gone overseas due to the crazy bargains overseas right now and the strong $AUD i mean its cheaper to go to Hawaii than Canberra these days so why wouldent you.

And ppl who are struggling are staying home and that is what has led to the lower road toll.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
A great result but in contrast the only thing even close to law enforcement I saw around my local area over the Christmas/New Year break was that bloody speed camera Territory.
Same.
Always the same one with the same guy.... he must have a boring work life.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
I dont know about you guys but i have noticed the roads and shops for that matter to be unusually quiet for this time of year i put that down to 2 things;

Ppl that can afford to go away have gone overseas due to the crazy bargains overseas right now and the strong $AUD i mean its cheaper to go to Hawaii than Canberra these days so why wouldent you.

And ppl who are struggling are staying home and that is what has led to the lower road toll.
Listen to this guy, cause he knows what he's talking about.

But I also noticed more police presence around Victoria too, I ran into a couple of 1 car breath tests on roads you'd never see them. These roads mainly being alternative (but longer) ways to get from A to B without using the freeway.

Good on them for being out and about but screw anyone who says it's because of speed cameras. Total rubbish!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta

While I feel the increased police presence would have had an impact, I think bigsta has hit the nail on the head here. Combine that with the fact 2009 scared a lot of people, and they just want to save money now. As people buy more on the internet, they don't need to do that rush trip to the shops.

Spot on fella.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Nearly the whole east of australia is flooded and has been for a month or more ! where would anyone drive to . There is noone on the roads at all from what i have seen , ghost highways . Just more back patting and high fives without any facts as usual
Old 10-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
Nearly the whole east of australia is flooded and has been for a month or more ! where would anyone drive to . There is noone on the roads at all from what i have seen , ghost highways . Just more back patting and high fives without any facts as usual
They were talking about NSW not QLD, little or no flooding over the xmas break. Not a lot of rain either except for northern NSW Ballina and north. Many people lost their lives on the Pacific Hwy over the last 50 years but thankfully a huge improvement means there are now very few deaths between Sydney and Kempsey. We just need the rest to be finished and that figure will be lower again. Police patrols are a far better way to reduce the toll we all know that. Finally the idea might be sinking in to the authorities.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Strong Aussie Dollar => Cheaper to go overseas than to hit the road => Lower Road Toll?
Not necessarily.
PAX numbers have been down due to the unusually cold conditions in Europe and the USA.

Quote: