Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New 5 Year Warranty OK or not

New Holden and Ford have 3 year warranty and i think that is good but how about the new 5 year ones are they just as good or is there some tricks in the bag.
Like what is in the fine print that differs.
Does any one know.
Is it exactly the same just with 5 years.

A mate just bought a new hyundai. he said it was the 5 year warranty that did the deal and complained that ford and GMH must be rubbish if they can't stand behind there cars for 5 years.

castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
3vXT

They will all be a little different. It's unfair to compare them only on the length of time they cover.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My understanding of it is that new car manufacture warranty's are governed by a whole heap of legislation which means they must honour it for the stated period and cant claim normal wear and tear etc to get out of it (tyres, filters and batteries excluded of course).

The insurance type warranties swann/wynns etc you can buy with a used car are not really worth the paper they are written on as to get anything back is like pulling teeth and do not come under the warranty legislation with the exception of the 3 month/5000KM warranty with used cars under 10 years or 160K purchased from dealers in NSW.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

The 2-3yr extra warranty years offered by dealers are a bit of a con. You have to have your vehicle serviced at with the dealer and then after the factory warranty of 3yrs expires any repairs are subject to a cost. I got it with the new ute but read in the fine print the extended warranty only covers up to $2000 in total including labour.

I say good on the Asians for offering 5yr warranty's, just a shame they only offer them on the boring crap they call cars.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Springfield_Johny

Better than the old 12 month 20000 km warranty that used to offered on new cars. I got a triton with the 5/10 warranty but hoping I never have use it and so far the urea been a dream

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the website its seems to be a good warranty. But to keep your warranty you must get a proper service and you can not do it your self. So maybe in the 2 extra years that you save on warranty items, you will lose in services. End of the day it may not be worth it, could lose out and most cars are ok for the first 5 or so years.

Direct from the Hyundai site:

Warranty
Our commitment to quality gives us the confidence to back each new Hyundai passenger vehicle (including the iMax) with Australia’s First 5 Year Unlimited Kilometre Warranty, and back all Hyundai
commercial vehicles with an exceptional 5 Year / 160,000 km Warranty
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
The 2-3yr extra warranty years offered by dealers are a bit of a con. You have to have your vehicle serviced at with the dealer and then after the factory warranty of 3yrs expires any repairs are subject to a cost. I got it with the new ute but read in the fine print the extended warranty only covers up to $2000 in total including labour.

I say good on the Asians for offering 5yr warranty's, just a shame they only offer them on the boring crap they call cars.
I forgot about those the old network Q warranty from holden was such a con

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
New Holden and Ford have 3 year warranty and i think that is good but how about the new 5 year ones are they just as good or is there some tricks in the bag.
Like what is in the fine print that differs.
Does any one know.
Is it exactly the same just with 5 years.

A mate just bought a new hyundai. he said it was the 5 year warranty that did the deal and complained that ford and GMH must be rubbish if they can't stand behind there cars for 5 years.

Its just another method of sales technique. Some car companies will offer cheaper cars with smaller warranties, some will offer more expensive cars with greater warranties.

If Hyundai is able to offer to similar car to the others for a comparable price, but able to offer a better warranty, then i would think that Hyundai are saying to the buying public that they expect the cars to run as expected for those years. Mitsubishi goes that one better with their 5/10 year warranties.

I am sure everyone would think that it is quite unreasonable for a car company to only want to back its own products for a minimum of three years.

Another thing to remember, is that a warranty is only as good as a companies ability to perform to its requirements. If Holden did go bust for example, its a seperate company from its Parent, GM (who has no legal requirement to take over Holdens warranties), then any warranty that is outstanding isnt worth the papaer its printed on. Of course from a business point of view, GM probably would still adhere to the warranties as they know it would damage any further business chances in australia.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

It seems warranty claims with Hyundai are quite good, no issue to claim...
Compared to some "other" manufacturer's...
Not a bad buy for a first car or a work vehicle to be driven to city every day...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Getz last year as a "work van".

5 years totally unlimited km warranty.

It will be nice to have a car that runs out of time before km for a change.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I looked at getting a Lancer VRX (ended up with my WS Fiesta) the sales women told me that their 5 year warranty has a slight catch. You get the full five years if you are the original car buyer. If you sell the car within the 5 year period, anything over the 3 year mark is not transferred. Not 100% sure on this, but that's what she told me.

Everyone has a catch. Ford only offer rattle/squeak repairs for the first 12 months supposedly which is crap.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
When I looked at getting a Lancer VRX (ended up with my WS Fiesta) the sales women told me that their 5 year warranty has a slight catch. You get the full five years if you are the original car buyer. If you sell the car within the 5 year period, anything over the 3 year mark is not transferred. Not 100% sure on this, but that's what she told me.

Everyone has a catch. Ford only offer rattle/squeak repairs for the first 12 months supposedly which is crap.
Looks like the information got crossed somewhere. As per Mitsy's own website

Quote:
10 year or 160,000km Powertrain Warranty (whichever comes first) (non transferable). 5 year or 130,000km New Vehicle Warranty (whichever comes first). 4 year or 60,000km Capped Price Servicing (whichever comes first). Conditions apply. See your dealer for full details
The 10 year powertrain warranty is non transferable. The 5 year would be.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh ok, my bad. Thanks for the info