Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
buggo
[BU66OS]

Default How to handle an insurance claim

G'day guys,
I have a situation that I'm not sure how to deal with properly, and would like your advice.
Yesterday, my car was parked in a McDonalds car park. I was eating lunch in the outside area and half my car was in sight. I looked over and see it shake and rock back. I ran over to see this lady reversing away. I ask a by stander if she just hit this car, she said yes, so ran up to this car reversing away with white paint all on the bumper saying you hit my car blah blah.
Anyway, I got her name, number and rego, I gave her mine, plus details of the time, date, location, my rego, accident details etc.

So now what do I do? Do I ring her insurer (NRMA) and let them know the details, and they come and assess the damage. Do I ring my insurer (AAMI) and let them sort it out with the lady, or get qoutes and give them to the lady to sort it out herself?

I have never been in this situation before so have no idea what to do, any help is appreciated.
Cheers

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
T3-TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly report it to the Police accident hotline,get a report no and contact your own insurer and let them handle it.They will take care of everything for you as long as you have the Police report number.
Old 22-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50 108
Firstly report it to the Police accident hotline,get a report no and contact your own insurer and let them handle it.They will take care of everything for you as long as you have the Police report number.
Thanks mate will do.
What details will I need to tell them?

BA XR8 Manual
Old 22-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

To be blunt. Everything.

Last thing you want is the police or your insurer saying "why didn't you report that?" then having your claim denied.

Good luck with it, hope it all goes your way. Hassle free
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
T3-TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Blue Beast II]To be blunt. Everything.

Ditto
Old 22-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you get the witness's details as well ??? Always handy to have independant account of what transpired.....
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your own insurance company will also give you advice and options. Seeing as it's not your fault you shouldn't have to pay any excess as well. In my case, mid year, I actually made my claim with my insurer over the phone the next morning, (Sunday) nominated a repairer to which they accepted and the next day I was at the repairer, an email having already been received by them informing of my intended visit and so by the time I got the car back I had only signed two docs upon pick-up otherwise nothing else done on my side at all. I was the final car in a 3 car nose to tail so I couldn't be any happier with the service.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
To be blunt. Everything.

Last thing you want is the police or your insurer saying "why didn't you report that?" then having your claim denied.

Good luck with it, hope it all goes your way. Hassle free
Thanks mate. Yeah I'd hate for it to be denied and have to fork out for something that's not my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Did you get the witness's details as well ??? Always handy to have independant account of what transpired.....
I didn't get the details of the person who I asked, however my friend who I was with saw it, as well as workers from McDonalds. (I worked there, so have there numbers and they won't miind saying what they saw if they get asked. Hopefully it was caught on camera too, so the police/ insurer can see footage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Your own insurance company will also give you advice and options. Seeing as it's not your fault you shouldn't have to pay any excess as well. In my case, mid year, I actually made my claim with my insurer over the phone the next morning, (Sunday) nominated a repairer to which they accepted and the next day I was at the repairer, an email having already been received by them informing of my intended visit and so by the time I got the car back I had only signed two docs upon pick-up otherwise nothing else done on my side at all. I was the final car in a 3 car nose to tail so I couldn't be any happier with the service.
Hopefully I have a similar outcome to yours. Do you have to nominate a repairer, because I've never had my car painted so don't know of any good panel beaters. I'll just look in the yellow pages for the one with the most expensive looking ad.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 22-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
G'day guys,
. I ask a by stander if she just hit this car, she said yes, so ran up to this car reversing away with white paint all on the bumper s
This is the important bit.
Remember she was driving away, and would have happily left you with a damaged car and no indication who had done it.
Do not hold back. Hit her with everything.
Police report first, including witness name if you got one.
Then let your insurance handle it. You got her name so you should not have to pay any excess.
I hate grubs that damage other cars and then try to sneak away.
Old 22-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your insurance company does the lot provided you have full insurance, if you don't have full insurance you have to do the leg work yourself and chase it up with the other drivers insurance.

If you have full cover you will never have to speak to the other driver again, thats what you pay insurance for.

I would also make sure that any CCTV footage is saved onto disk as most cctv footage is overwritten within a week, as it runs on a continuous loop, sometimes even less, depending on how big the hard drive is that saves the footage.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Definitely contact your insurance company, and let them know what happened. If you have comprehensive, they'll do the work for you (as has been said). If you only have 3rd Party, you will more than likely have to do the chasing yourself, that's when you get in touch with her insurance company and hopefully they'll deal with it for you.

As has also been said, contact the police to make a report, here in SA you need to go the the station to do that. Only takes 10-15 minutes over here, they'll ask you standard questions such as your rego, license, vehicle details and the same of the other driver. In the past I have made a report after an insurance claim, you can let them know the report number after.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
This is the important bit.
Remember she was driving away, and would have happily left you with a damaged car and no indication who had done it.
Do not hold back. Hit her with everything.
Police report first, including witness name if you got one.
Then let your insurance handle it. You got her name so you should not have to pay any excess.
Absolutly, why should I show sympathy when see displays none for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
I hate grubs that damage other cars and then try to sneak away.
Never a true'er word spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Your insurance company does the lot provided you have full insurance, if you don't have full insurance you have to do the leg work yourself and chase it up with the other drivers insurance.

If you have full cover you will never have to speak to the other driver again, thats what you pay insurance for.

I would also make sure that any CCTV footage is saved onto disk as most cctv footage is overwritten within a week, as it runs on a continuous loop, sometimes even less, depending on how big the hard drive is that saves the footage.
Yeah I have full comp. I'm glad I never have to speak with her again. She showed no remorse, didn't even say sorry. And her attitude, especially considering she hit my car, left alot to be desired. If she was a bloke, talking to me the way she did, mannn could have got ugly....
I'll ask work if they can save the tape, I'm sure it will still be saved considering it happened less then 24hrs ago.

Cheers everyone for all your help, I really appreciate it.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 22-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Definitely contact your insurance company, and let them know what happened. If you have comprehensive, they'll do the work for you (as has been said). If you only have 3rd Party, you will more than likely have to do the chasing yourself, that's when you get in touch with her insurance company and hopefully they'll deal with it for you.

As has also been said, contact the police to make a report, here in SA you need to go the the station to do that. Only takes 10-15 minutes over here, they'll ask you standard questions such as your rego, license, vehicle details and the same of the other driver. In the past I have made a report after an insurance claim, you can let them know the report number after.
Cheers mate

BA XR8 Manual
Old 22-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hopefully I have a similar outcome to yours. Do you have to nominate a repairer, because I've never had my car painted so don't know of any good panel beaters. I'll just look in the yellow pages for the one with the most expensive looking ad.
This depends on your Ins company, some have their repairers.
Old 22-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
dannyxm
was danny888

NSW cops 'usually' dont take a statement in minor accidents, but you can simply call the police hotline and make a report.

In re the insurance company, just advise your insurer and they do the leg work for you.

Also, seeing as though you used to work there, do they have CCTV to see exactly what happened? Be good evidence if they do.

I work as a Solicitor and do a lot of debt collection work for a few insurance mobs. They will chase her like a upset pit bull. - Nothing to do with you, its why you pay for insurance.

All the best with it.
Old 22-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

i'm with AAMI, some guy ran up the back of me lately at 5kph, doing nothing but a scratch but anyway I wasn't going to pay for it.

we exchanged details turns out he is with AAMI too.

I ring AAMI, drop it into their assessor, they have hire cars waiting to take customers home. they drop me home.

AAMI tells me they won't provide a hire car because its not on my policy.

I ring up and SERIOUSLY HACK & HACK at AAMI telling them they have to provide a hire car as the accident wasn't my fault.

They finally concede and tell me that I have to pay for the hire car BUT they will reimburse me once I give them a receipt.

Car gets repaired by their repairer. Pick it up a week later - all good.

I drop off hire car receipt.

Now i haven't had to pay a cent so far except i'm $300 out of pocket for the hire car.

Now they are telling me because the guy hasn't paid his claim excess I have to wait until he does before they will reimburse me, even though they fixed the car.

WTF? Doesn't surprise me though considering how much I had to push for them to say yes to a hire car to begin with.
Old 22-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Very good advice, I was recently called up to give statements regarding an accident I witnessed and saved the driver not at fault a lot of hassle.
Old 22-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The customer service person for CGU was going to give me a list of authorised repairers near my home over the phone so I jumped in and asked could I name one or two I knew and see if it was on her list. Any repair not done properly only needs to be redone so your insurer will most likely help you out here. Maybe if you mention some suburbs close to you some of the forum members can give some suggestions based on experience.
Old 22-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #19
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
i'm with AAMI, some guy ran up the back of me lately at 5kph, doing nothing but a scratch but anyway I wasn't going to pay for it.

we exchanged details turns out he is with AAMI too.

I ring AAMI, drop it into their assessor, they have hire cars waiting to take customers home. they drop me home.

AAMI tells me they won't provide a hire car because its not on my policy.

I ring up and SERIOUSLY HACK & HACK at AAMI telling them they have to provide a hire car as the accident wasn't my fault.

They finally concede and tell me that I have to pay for the hire car BUT they will reimburse me once I give them a receipt.

Car gets repaired by their repairer. Pick it up a week later - all good.

I drop off hire car receipt.

Now i haven't had to pay a cent so far except i'm $300 out of pocket for the hire car.

Now they are telling me because the guy hasn't paid his claim excess I have to wait until he does before they will reimburse me, even though they fixed the car.

WTF? Doesn't surprise me though considering how much I had to push for them to say yes to a hire car to begin with.
I'd suggest you ask them to show you the written policy which states no expenses are to be reimbursed until the at-fault driver pays their excess. What would be the case if the at fault driver was with another comany and didn't payhis excess. I'd ask AAMI would they halt eveything because the other at-fault insurer says.."sorry we haven't been paid so we can't pay you" .
Old 22-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #20
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Tell your insurer. You pay them to look after you.
Do not rely on someone elses insurance.
Always use your own insurance. You said you exchanged details, just pass them on.
Old 23-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Tell your insurer. You pay them to look after you.
Do not rely on someone elses insurance.
Always use your own insurance. You said you exchanged details, just pass them on.
Simple and best advice.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

glad you caught her mate and your insurer should handle everything for you

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #23
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
I'd suggest you ask them to show you the written policy which states no expenses are to be reimbursed until the at-fault driver pays their excess. What would be the case if the at fault driver was with another comany and didn't payhis excess. I'd ask AAMI would they halt eveything because the other at-fault insurer says.."sorry we haven't been paid so we can't pay you" .
The difference here is that the the hire car expenses would be reimbursed from the at fault parties claim, not your claim. Hence to pay any of the other persons liabilty they need to complete thier part of the claim and pay thier excess. A hire car is not in everyones policy be that AAMI, NRMA, RACQ, QBE, CGU etc. Unless you have a hire car benifit on a policy an insurer has NO OBLIGATION to provide you a car whilst they repair yours. (That is the third parties liability or if the third party is insured and lodged a claim, then it is the other insurers liability). (Once again they do not have to provide one for you....just reimburse fair and reasonable hire car expenses.)