Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
dylancox

Default Mechanical Miracles

Hi all, have any of you experienced things out of the blue when working with cars? 3 years ago, had the dreaded BA Radiator fail, pushing water through the transmission and trans fluid into the coolant bottle. The top radiator hose split at the same time. Was in a hurry to somewhere, Ford was 3km away and I thought screw paying $350 for a towie who would take at least 45 minutes, so limped the poor bugger for 3km (with me praying and sweating the whole way) with steam pouring out the bonnet and transmission slipping like no tomorrow. She made it into the service centre driveway, just as the temperature gauge hit maximum and a red light came on. Got the radiator replaced, transmission flushed and to the service manager's disbelief she started up nicely, took off like a champ and has been trouble free for over 3 years and 70,000km. The service manager assured me that the transmission had maximum 3 months left to live and the car would definitely be back for a new transmission... he was wrong .

dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'd put that in the 'you lucky gun' basket and not mechanical miracle

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I'd put that in the 'you lucky gun' basket and not mechanical miracle
and one to watch out for in the salesyard.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd consider that a miracle too lol. When my BA had its tranny recoed after that same problem about 30,000kms later it blew. Was a costly problem too at the time.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I can see why the tranny and engine was OK. The BA engines are designed to shut down gradually to save the head and gasket when the coolant drops. In addition, the transmission fluid pressure is higher than the coolant pressure, especially with the hose gone, so the fact that you kept going and didnt stop and restart, kept the coolant out of the tranny which helped save it. But I suppose there was still a certain amount of luck there.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post