Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #31
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

There it is....
A new Thread Mining record perhaps??
Old 14-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #32
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkachu
Holdens answer to everything lately... IF THEY MAKE THEIRS MORE FASTERA WE MAKE BIGGER MOTOR HURR.

Seriously a 6ltr is big enough then they went a 6.2ltr to battle a 5.4 putting out just as much.
There's more to an engine than the power it makes you know.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #33
oranpark addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie

There it is....
A new Thread Mining record perhaps??
So Loftie, I've come to the conclusion you have to much time on your hands. Just wanted to use the rules button as well but surely there are rules against this big a dig.
oranpark addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #34
Falcman0o7
Banned

phhhh.....

In 20 years....

LS23 15.6 litres pushrod V16 500 Kws

Then there will be ford...3.0 V8 500 kws LMAO!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #35
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
phhhh.....

In 20 years....

LS23 15.6 litres pushrod V16 500 Kws

Then there will be ford...3.0 V8 500 kws LMAO!
No no no. In twenty years it will be

FPV GT-650Kw 2000Nm@1rpm from a duracell, recharges every time you gun it.

HSV Clubby (doesn't) R8- 400Kw from an onboard coal station. requires 200 full time workers to keep charged.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #36
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranpark addict
So Loftie, I've come to the conclusion you have to much time on your hands. Just wanted to use the rules button as well but surely there are rules against this big a dig.
Thats the first time that someone has slapped the 'rules' emoticon at me!!! Nice one!!!

Good for a bit of a laugh...
Old 15-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #37
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul7v7
very nice specs on the LS7. A monster engine. Wonder how big GM will let the displacement get on their engines. 7.0 is pretty big. Gotta sound good though.
Dodge viper has an 8.4 litre, so still some way off getting the biggest of all.
Old 15-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #38
glavas

i dont see the problem with bigger engines? the bigger the better. yes im a holden man and if holden bought in small little engines for there v8 id be very angry. you know how the old saying goes theres no replacement for displacement.

im sure if ford/fpv had 6+ liters who guys wouldent be complaning. bring on the riverly!!!!!!!!! like days of old. i recall when you guys dident even have a v8 hahaha scary times they were.

Last edited by glavas; 15-10-2010 at 11:41 AM.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #39
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
you know how the old saying goes theres no replacement for displacement.
Thats why it is an old saying

Wait a minute, i just spent an threadmining truck full of dollars making my 5.4 a 5.8

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #40
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
im sure if ford/fpv had 6+ liters who guys wouldent be complaning. bring on the riverly!!!!!!!!! like days of old. i recall when you guys dident even have a v8 hahaha scary times they were.
I'm sure if Ford/FPV had no V8 (again!?!?) we'd still be whipping the pants of HSV...

F6 - Full Stop
Old 15-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #41
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Thats why it is an old saying

Wait a minute, i just spent an threadmining truck full of dollars making my 5.4 a 5.8

i bet your glad that you did? an extra 400cc is nice. i wish i could make my 6.2 a 7l.

the saying lives on my friend!!!!
Old 15-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #42
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I'm sure if Ford/FPV had no V8 (again!?!?) we'd still be whipping the pants of HSV...

F6 - Full Stop

how could you compare the two tho? a na 8 to fi 6. no body really cares about a 6 anyway truely why would ya? bring on the V8 wars my friend yeeooowwww!!!!!!!!! GOOD TIMES AHEAD with fords new engine out. cant wait for hsv to counter. its like a well played game of chess.!!!!!

Last edited by glavas; 15-10-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 15-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
how could you compare the two tho? a na 8 to fi 6. no body really cares about a 6 anyway truely why would ya? bring on the V8 wars my friend yeeooowwww!!!!!!!!! GOOD TIMES AHEAD with fords new engine out. cant wait for hsv to counter. its like a well played game of chess.!!!!!
So what you are saying is that other than:

Turbo charging.
Supercharging.
Direct injection.
Variable independent cam timing.

There is no replacement for displacement......

Why then is every single current FPV model significantly smaller displacement than every single currnet HSV model and yet the slowest FPV is quicker than the fastest HSV?

There was once a time when the man the the biggest muscles always won the battle, now the battle is won by the man with the brain and the gun.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #44
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

How are those replacement for dispalcement though, when you can do all of them to an engine of larger displacement too? And forced induction is just manufactured extra displacement anyway - the engine pumps more air per cycle.

And while you didn't bring it up I amy as well also mention that 'DOHC isn't superior to OHV' is a fallacy, as there are many different aspects in which they can be compared and pushrods come out on top in just as many of mthose aspects. More like horses for courses.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #45
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Quote:
...number of cylinders doesn't mean a whole lot more than engine balancing and smoothness at given rpms, really.

And it definitely doesn't dictate weight.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
How are those replacement for dispalcement though, when you can do all of them to an engine of larger displacement too? And forced induction is just manufactured extra displacement anyway - the engine pumps more air per cycle.

And while you didn't bring it up I amy as well also mention that 'DOHC isn't superior to OHV' is a fallacy, as there are many different aspects in which they can be compared and pushrods come out on top in just as many of mthose aspects. More like horses for courses.
I can't think of 1 factory pushrod production engine that can produce more KW/L of displacement than any modern OHC performance engine.......
OHC engines are simply more efficient at getting power from their displacement.

Old 15-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft

Are you serious?

Engines are designed to demonstrate torque and therefore power over a range of revs.

Two of the KEY components are friction and efficiency.

The bigger the physical displacement the more surface area. The more surface area the higher the friction so therefore the less efficiency.

The bigger the phyicial displacement the heavier the moving components and therefor the more energy wasted overcoming inertia as the pistons move up and down so therefore the less efficiency.

Engine design is constantly evolving. Some make them bigger other make them smarter. Smarter always wins.

Obvious example, the LS7 is not the top of the tree anymore, the LS9 has repaced it and guess what.......it has a smaller displacement.

Another example, there are many forced induction 5.4 V8s on here but no one has managed to go quicker than a T6. (I can tell because if one ever did AFF would need an extra terabyte just to hold the thread about it)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #48
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
No no no. In twenty years it will be

FPV GT-650Kw 2000Nm@1rpm from a duracell, recharges every time you gun it.

HSV Clubby (doesn't) R8- 400Kw from an onboard coal station. requires 200 full time workers to keep charged.
LMAO!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Just to let you guys know, Chevrolet does a V8 engine of 572ci which you can buy.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...8793&engCat=bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Chevrolet began offering a 572-cubic-inch (9.4 L) "crate motor" in 2003[15] which produced 720 hp (537 kW) and 685 lb·ft (929 N·m) of torque,[16] and more recently a 620 hp (462 kW) / 650 lb·ft (881 N·m) version capable of running on 92 octane street gasoline.
So, GM has beaten Dodge haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #50
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Lets put fuel economy to one side for a minute (Because smaller engines will always be better on fuel no doubt)

I have a problem with those that would say an LS engine is an "inefficient" performance engine due to produced HP/L.... who gives a rats. A performance engine should be measured by HP/KG or HP/m2, in other words how many kilos it weighs or how much under bonnet real estate it takes up to make X amount of horsepower.

A 427cid all-alloy LS engine is very compact, lightweight and makes great power, and that's all that matters.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #51
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Lets put fuel economy to one side for a minute (Because smaller engines will always be better on fuel no doubt)

I have a problem with those that would say an LS engine is an "inefficient" performance engine due to produced HP/L.... who gives a rats. A performance engine should be measured by HP/KG or HP/m2, in other words how many kilos it weighs or how much under bonnet real estate it takes up to make X amount of horsepower.

A 427cid all-alloy LS engine is very compact, lightweight and makes great power, and that's all that matters.

Daniel
Daniel,

with respect you cant put fuel economy to one side if were talking about this from a production vehicle perspective.
If you look at this from a view of totality you must accept fuel economy will be a determiner to a greater or lesser degree for any purchase, even with performance vehicles.
FPV will exploit this if its an advantage, any company would, especially into the future with the green push...
Sooner or later HSV will suffer at the hands of "bigger is better" and the image issues FPV can now create..
FPV; "were making more power and better performance with smaller more efficient engines"...
They need to embrace smaller more efficient engine technology to move forward.
Engine bay realestate is really a non issue if the engine fits, lets face it, most people dont even open their bonnets regularly and its not like you can store stuff in there.
Engine weight is a factor from a total vehicle weight and balance perspective, but in isolation there maybe some benefits a few extra kilo's are worth living with to gain as a trade off.. Superchardger comes to mind?

For me KW/L is a great way to look at how an engine "works", if smaller is better than it goes hand in hand that KW/L is a great measurement.

Last edited by 4Vman; 16-10-2010 at 01:18 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #52
HLC
Audi S3

This thread is truly hilarious.

all the debates going on not realising its 5 years old :

classic.
Old 16-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #53
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Daniel,

with respect you cant put fuel economy to one side if were talking about this from a production vehicle perspective.
If you look at this from a view of totality you must accept fuel economy will be a determiner to a greater or lesser degree for any purchase, even with performance vehicles.
FPV will exploit this if its an advantage, any company would, especially into the future with the green push...
Sooner or later HSV will suffer at the hands of "bigger is better" and the image issues FPV can now create..
FPV; "were making more power and better performance with smaller more efficient engines"...
They need to embrace smaller more efficient engine technology to move forward.
Engine bay realestate is really a non issue if the engine fits, lets face it, most people dont even open their bonnets regularly and its not like you can store stuff in there.
Engine weight is a factor from a total vehicle weight and balance perspective, but in isolation there maybe some benefits a few extra kilo's are worth living with to gain as a trade off.. Superchardger comes to mind?

For me KW/L is a great way to look at how an engine "works", if smaller is better than it goes hand in hand that KW/L is a great measurement.
Perhaps fuel economy comes into it but this is a PERFORMANCE market. Keep in mind that the last generation of 5.4L Boss was just as hard on fuel as the 6.2L LS3.... each car won and lost a few of the tests if my memory serves.

On the flip side?

* Low engine weight aids lower car weight.
* Low engine weight aids handling.
* Smaller dimensionally allows a lower and more rearward mounting position which allows better handling, a shorter wheelbase and overall length for a given passenger compartment size.... this leads to reduced weight by way of a "smaller" car
* Larger capacity vs forced induction has some merits in the way of simplicity of operation and cost of manufacture

You have to also realise that I am not going off bias here, my own mantra is of small capacity OHC FI.... exactly the opposite of what I am saying here... but I am a Ford man so I work with what Ford start with.

But that mantra will be changing one day soonish.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #54
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I know its been said before but there is more to a car than just an engine.

I’ve never been overly concerned about who’s the fastest, in the end it usually comes down to, how deep are your pockets.

Anyway an old thread deserves an old review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIPBP...1&feature=fvwp

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (LS7) vs Ford Shelby GT500KR (5.4lt Supercharged - Air to Water Intercooler)

Corvette Z06
3.6sec 0-60mph
¼ mile 11.7sec @ 123.2mph

Shelby GT500KR
4.9sec 0-60mph
1/4mile 12.8sec @ 114.6mph

These times are of cause the review times and don't necessarily mean much in the real world.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #55
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
This thread is truly hilarious.

all the debates going on not realising its 5 years old :

classic.
Hence the reason I dug so deep!!!

Truely Classic!!!