Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #31
HLC
Audi S3

i use to work on that stretch of road where the driver would have been booked, and use to chat to the highway guys that patrolled that stretch. The often told me that sit back and let all the 110, 115's and even 120's go past in the 100 zone and wait for the real idiots clocking up over that. looks like they hit the jackpot. It is a dead straight bit of freeway, 3 lanes wide. Ill admit ive done silly stuff on there, and ive been witness to plenty of silly stuff on there.

unlucky to get caught in some respect. but glad he did.
Old 25-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #32
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw the footage on the news, no doubt high speed involved here for a car to launch itself that high and onto the roof of a house....

Quote:
Driver dies after flipping car into house roof

Posted 2 hours 45 minutes ago

* Map: Tecoma 3160

A senior police officer has described a fatal car crash in Melbourne's east as one of the worst he has seen.

A 37-year-old woman lost control of her car on the Burwood Highway at Tecoma about 1:30am (AEST).

The car went up an embankment and became airborne, flipping over and crashing into the roof of a house.

The woman was impaled by debris and died in the wreckage.

A father and three children were at home at the time, but were not injured.

But the 10-year-old boy, who was in his bedroom at the time, was trapped under the car when it landed on the roof.

Sergeant Stewart Thomson says it was a horrific scene.

"I've never seen anything like it in 19 years of policing," he said.

"To have a vehicle come to rest in the roof - and in the circumstances it has - not only shocked myself but the rest of the emergency services [as well]."
And no im not an advocate of the governments "every K over is a killer", but to loose control in suburbia and then fly into a roof...... the car was a Subaru wagon, so it wasnt a case of "hooning"? or was it?

Pretty sad indeed for all involved....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #33
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
It is a dead straight bit of freeway, 3 lanes wide. Ill admit ive done silly stuff on there, and ive been witness to plenty of silly stuff on there.
I'd say part of the problem is that it's hard to convince people when a lot of the stuff they're told about speeding is an exaggeration and in "their experience" its not true so they ignore it. It's a little bit like the anti-smoking campaign - many smokers listen to all the "evidence" and repond that they've been smoking for years and feel fine and doc says the lungs are fine etc... so they ignore the evidence and keep on smoking. Not every smoker will have health problems and so everyone is an optimist and assumes they'll get away with it. Not every speeder will crash, they know that and decide to play the odds expecting to be fine.
A cop on TV recently was reporting on someone who had been caught speeding and was pretty animated in describing what "an absolute miracle" it was that the bloke didn't crash and die. While I understand his frustration, having to deal with the fallout from serious accidents, it wasn't "an absolute miracle" that he didn't crash. The speeding - can't remember the specifics any more but don't think it was anything too unsusual - would certainly have raised the probability of a crash but it was a long way from a certainty.

It's a difficult one, but I think that exaggerating the results of speeding is counterproductive and makes it more likely that the message will fall on deaf ears.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #34
WMD351
Size it up

220 kph divide by 60 min divide by 60 seconds, 61 odd meters per second? Not nice when something unexpected happens.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #35
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
I'd say part of the problem is that it's hard to convince people when a lot of the stuff they're told about speeding is an exaggeration and in "their experience" its not true so they ignore it. It's a little bit like the anti-smoking campaign - many smokers listen to all the "evidence" and repond that they've been smoking for years and feel fine and doc says the lungs are fine etc... so they ignore the evidence and keep on smoking. Not every smoker will have health problems and so everyone is an optimist and assumes they'll get away with it. Not every speeder will crash, they know that and decide to play the odds expecting to be fine.
A cop on TV recently was reporting on someone who had been caught speeding and was pretty animated in describing what "an absolute miracle" it was that the bloke didn't crash and die. While I understand his frustration, having to deal with the fallout from serious accidents, it wasn't "an absolute miracle" that he didn't crash. The speeding - can't remember the specifics any more but don't think it was anything too unsusual - would certainly have raised the probability of a crash but it was a long way from a certainty.

It's a difficult one, but I think that exaggerating the results of speeding is counterproductive and makes it more likely that the message will fall on deaf ears.
I agree completely. Great post.
Old 26-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #36
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[/QUOTE] Not every speeder will crash, they know that and decide to play the odds expecting to be fine.
A cop on TV recently was reporting on someone who had been caught speeding and was pretty animated in describing what "an absolute miracle" it was that the bloke didn't crash and die. While I understand his frustration, having to deal with the fallout from serious accidents, it wasn't "an absolute miracle" that he didn't crash. [QUOTE]

You understand his frustration???

er.. no you obviously dont.

Seriously how on earth can you say that?

Have you ever had a chat to any cops out there?
What about Ambulance crews?
Emergency ward staff??

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #37
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

You understand his frustration???

er.. no you obviously dont.

Seriously how on earth can you say that?

Have you ever had a chat to any cops out there?
What about Ambulance crews?
Emergency ward staff??
How on earth can you pick that one point out of an otherwise valid post?

The misguided (direct) correlation between any speed over the posted limit and a sad ending has certainly contributed to the lack of respect for the current state of speeding laws.

That is further exacerbated by the fact that statistically every Victorian motorist will cop a fine once every two years (1.25m issued per annum / 2.4m licence holders). Unlike the old days where the fines issued were for "proper" speeding (if that term can be used) a lot of the infringements issued now are for less than 5 km/h over the limit - last figures I saw put it at almost 60%. These are what could best be described as normal citizens going about their daily business who either suffer a lapse of concentration, get confused by the mulitplicity of speed zone changes that litter our roads or simply fall victim to clever placement of mobile cameras. These are not people who would ever consider themselves to be hoons or even enthusiasts and when you start penalising the majority of citizens then respect for the law goes out the window.

I don't think any person of average intelligence would consider speed cameras to be anything other than a revenue raising measure that is getting close to earning the Vic government half a billion dollars each year and for as long as that continues to be the view of the average citizen then all the ad campaigns and use of terms like "safety cameras" is wasted tax revenue.

Taking my earlier point a step further, the 2009 figures show that in urban areas (which generate the bulk of Vic speed camera revenue) only 7% of the issued fines were for what would have once been considered excessive speed (>15 km/h). While I know that excessive is not an exact term (the legal limit can be excessive under some condition) the fact remains that the law must be seen to be just before it is likely to ever achieve uniform acceptance. Zero tolerance, the majority of fines for minor offences and the attempts to justify the money grab only serve to create the opposite view.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #38
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
How on earth can you pick that one point out of an otherwise valid post?

The misguided (direct) correlation between any speed over the posted limit and a sad ending has certainly contributed to the lack of respect for the current state of speeding laws.

That is further exacerbated by the fact that statistically every Victorian motorist will cop a fine once every two years (1.25m issued per annum / 2.4m licence holders). Unlike the old days where the fines issued were for "proper" speeding (if that term can be used) a lot of the infringements issued now are for less than 5 km/h over the limit - last figures I saw put it at almost 60%. These are what could best be described as normal citizens going about their daily business who either suffer a lapse of concentration, get confused by the mulitplicity of speed zone changes that litter our roads or simply fall victim to clever placement of mobile cameras. These are not people who would ever consider themselves to be hoons or even enthusiasts and when you start penalising the majority of citizens then respect for the law goes out the window.

I don't think any person of average intelligence would consider speed cameras to be anything other than a revenue raising measure that is getting close to earning the Vic government half a billion dollars each year and for as long as that continues to be the view of the average citizen then all the ad campaigns and use of terms like "safety cameras" is wasted tax revenue.

Taking my earlier point a step further, the 2009 figures show that in urban areas (which generate the bulk of Vic speed camera revenue) only 7% of the issued fines were for what would have once been considered excessive speed (>15 km/h). While I know that excessive is not an exact term (the legal limit can be excessive under some condition) the fact remains that the law must be seen to be just before it is likely to ever achieve uniform acceptance. Zero tolerance, the majority of fines for minor offences and the attempts to justify the money grab only serve to create the opposite view.

Cheers
Russ
Never a truer word spoken
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #39
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Sad thing is when the inevitable happens, all the mothers claim it was the fault of the police and that their son "is such a good boy".
No madam; your son is an immature fool who has scant regard for his life or the lives of others. Further, your son is further vindication of Charles Darwin's theory on evolution; only the strong survive whereas the idiots often wrap their cars around various obstacles in order to make more compost.
Amen to that. However the ever growing stupidity always gives the chocks ammunition to continue to turn the world into a baby society. Remember 'Legeslation replaces common sense"

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #40
falconfemme
Dani

Unfortunately, most of these idiot drivers get off with only fines and loss of license over and over again. That is, until someone is seriously hurt or killed, at this point it is too late. But where I'm from, cops seem to be more interested in pulling me over when I'm just cruising so they can listen to how loud my car is and such nonsense.
Constantly we are hearing about not having enough police bla bla, but they are just not being placed in the areas they are needed.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #41
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why crush the car? crush him!

remove his required ability to drive a car, moron gets to live, emergency services dont have to waste time cleaning him up, car can go to someone who will use it correctly

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #42
sleek7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
why crush the car? crush him!

remove his required ability to drive a car, moron gets to live, emergency services dont have to waste time cleaning him up, car can go to someone who will use it correctly
Yep, agree with this.
Hes likely to drive at that speed in any sort of performance car by the sounds of it.
Loss of license should be around 10 years for this bloke imo, give the guy maybe enough time to grow up and mature a little before getting back behind the wheel.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would be less painfull(and cheaper ) to do some club raceing at the track on the weekend , some have to learn the hard way.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #44
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
it would be less painfull(and cheaper ) to do some club raceing at the track on the weekend , some have to learn the hard way.
Spot on. It only cost me $300 to go to a track day at Eastern Creek earlier this week and my stock XR6 was getting me up to 190+km/h on the main straight. Considering that a fine for doing that kind of speed on the road is well over $500 (not sure of the exact figure) plus court costs, track days area much more practical way of getting your speed fix.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
220 kph divide by 60 min divide by 60 seconds, 61 odd meters per second? Not nice when something unexpected happens.
Easier to do 220 divided by 3.6 to get it into M/S.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #46
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

god needs to review the genepool on BOTH sides of the argument.

i agree with Cooper69s/russelw 100%
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post