Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default I don't get the FWD layout

I have been thinking for a long time that the traditional FWD layout is more than a little flawed. Having the massive bulk of an engine mounted way out in front of the front wheels seems like a needlessly stupid way of doing things. Quite apart from the debatable pros/cons of having front wheel power delivery, having that much weight that far forward is not good for handling dynamics, weight distribution or front overhang.

The Toyota IQ uses a similar design to a conventional east/west FWD setup, except the transmission has been designed in reverse, so the differential is right at the front, and the engine is behind the front wheels, technically mid mounted.

Why aren't more FWD cars built like this?

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 22-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Way out in front of the front wheels? You make it sound like the engine is sitting in front of the radiator. If you a look under the bonnet, you'll see that the engine sits over the front wheel's not way out in front of it.
Old 22-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

If you look under the bonnet, you'll see that the gearbox is between the front wheels, and the engine is in front of that. Look where the sump is. It's in front of the gearbox, which logically has to be (and is) between the front wheels.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 22-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One word....... cost.

Making a big blob that has everything needed to make the car go and then attaching it to the car is much cheaper than having to attack multiple units.

90% of car buyers do not care how it works just as long as it is cheap to buy and cheap to run....
Old 22-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is your 2nd thread paying out fwd cars. I don't know how many fwd cars you have seen under the hood of but they aren't all mounted in front of the axle. Falcodores' motors are half infront of the axle line too. And btw, a fwd golf would eat your falcon in the corners too
Old 22-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1tzy
This is your 2nd thread paying out fwd cars. I don't know how many fwd cars you have seen under the hood of but they aren't all mounted in front of the axle. Falcodores' motors are half infront of the axle line too. And btw, a fwd golf would eat your falcon in the corners too
What does Australian Muscle have to do with FWD? I am fully aware of the fact that a FWD golf would eat my Falcon in the corners. If I wanted to go round corners fast I wouldn't have bought a Falcon. More to the point, what does my Falcon have to do with anything?

Imagine how good the Golf would be with better weight distribution, and less overhang?

And yes, all FWD cars save the IQ and 1 or 2 others have the engine mounted in front of the axle. Pick any FWD car you want and look underneath.
Old 22-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
If you look under the bonnet, you'll see that the gearbox is between the front wheels, and the engine is in front of that. Look where the sump is. It's in front of the gearbox, which logically has to be (and is) between the front wheels.
I see what your saying. In short, yes it is. The engine sits in between the right wheel, and the left wheel.
Old 22-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I see what your saying. In short, yes it is. The engine sits in between the right wheel, and the left wheel.
Well so does the center console, if you look at it like that. However, in this world, most of us like to think in all 3 dimensions, which is where your argument falls apart.
Old 22-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Yay, another FWD is the devil child thread.
Old 22-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Horses for course's
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Closed Thread