Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #31
krt10
eskyman

gears and brakes for me. do both at the same time on entry to corners too, and blip the throttle to rev match. never had issues
Old 14-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #32
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's answering your question by asking a question....

If i want to steer the car.... left or right...... What is better? Steering wheel? or accelerator pedal?
Old 14-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #33
nfury8

THIS IS THE SCARIEST THREAD EVER EVER EVER
If i see you on the road i will gladly move out of your way, wont even need the tricky BRAKE thingy
Old 14-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #34
nfury8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
Here's answering your question by asking a question....

If i want to steer the car.... left or right...... What is better? Steering wheel? or accelerator pedal?
Ahh you nearly fooled me trick question
the indicators......

is this thread for real whf
Old 15-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #35
prydey
Rob

geez, someone should get on the blower to numerous race drivers out there. ambrose may even have been one of them.

when they had H pattern boxes, many of the drivers would slow down with the brakes, only selecting the gear they needed to power on with. others would change down as they braked.

if you do like to change down, just make sure the engine is driving the gears, not the gears driving the engine - in other words don't try to change to 2nd when you are still doing 80km/h if 2nd tops out around 80km/h or less.

as for driving a truck - thats a few gearchanges when coming to a stop.

as already mentioned, the fact that this thread exists is a bit of a worry.
Old 15-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #36
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use brakes to slow as that is what they are designed for, yes you can use compression of the engine but I wouldnt go overboard, no 5th to 2nd gear just to come to a stop at a red light. Don't forget using engine comp may affect the life of valve stem seals - I believe a good test to check if your seals are worn is to coast down a hill in a lower gear, if your car blows slight smoke that indicates seals are worn. Wether or not engine braking does/doesnt wear out rings etc etc I feel more comfortable in the fact brake pads are a hell of a lot cheaper to replace than whatever engine braking may/may not affect
Old 15-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #37
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok let me just make it clear that I obviously use the brakes, im just wondering what to do with the gear box at the same time (what is best for the gearbox/motor), I have no trouble doing it any of the ways mentioned, like I said im just wondering whats best for the car. So far ive been doing all differnt ways (what ever I feel like at the time), when I down gear i always make sure the revs are right first. The only time I will down gear which will bring the revs up really high is when I want to power out of a corner or something, and even then I blip the engine first (hardly ever do it anyway, mainly on the occasional hills drive).

PS sorry if that didnt make sense im a little bit drunk at the moment.
Old 15-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #38
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ANY professional driver will change down trhough the box while braking thats what heel and toe was invented for and if you do it correctly there is NO ZERO Nadda deliterious effect on the car , quite the opposite is actually the case as you will most likely double or triple your brake pad and disc life . As for angel gear thats just plian stupid as you are getting absolutely no compression braking at all . Don't do it . The difference between purely using the brakes and using down changes aswell may only be a couple of metres but then again your front bumper is less than 2 metres from where you sit .
Old 15-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #39
LTDHO
The one and only

using the gears uses fuel.
Brakes last longer then fuel.
$$$ V's Time, brakes win.

Use brakes.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 15-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #40
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Wayne, how does downshifting use fuel, only on upshifts... using gears to slow down is whats written in the owners manual....

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
Old 15-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #41
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
using the gears uses fuel.
Brakes last longer then fuel.
$$$ V's Time, brakes win.

Use brakes.

Fuel injected vehicles cut fuel when decelerating until you reach the point where the 'idle speed controller' kicks in. So by using the engine you use less fuel.

I have a 300 000km vehicle that has been engine braked it's whole life. First clutch at 270 000km. Two sets of pads, one set of shoes (rear), original rotors. This car is not driven softly. It has surprised me with it's longevity, but I suppose regular servicing has its benefits.
Old 15-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #42
smoke
the only way is sideways

by reading this thread im assuming some of you dont downshift.

load a stocko falcon ute with 1 tonne and try pulling it up a couple of times. you will have brake fade.
i use engine braking in autos too especially in stop start traffic jams - it'll stay in 1st or 2nd.
Old 15-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #43
Glennz XR8

Install a Jake Brake
Old 15-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #44
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Common sense should prevail ..... brakes are used for slowing/stopping ...... gears can be used for slowing with no detriment to components (6th to 1st at 110k's would be exciting!) so I think the question was answered very quickly ...... and how the hell did bloody truck driving come into the discussion again!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread