Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default CarPoint Article on Falcon 50th

Interesting arcticle. If you go to the website each one of those 'Featured articles:' is a URL taking you off to another article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoint
FORD FALCON 50th ANNIVERSARY

SPECIAL FEATURE

In an industry that moves as rapidly as Automotive, significant anniversaries are hard-won. Styling trends come and go so quickly now -- so do model names. But there are some stalwarts and at the next level of elevation, a few icons. Falcon is one of those icons. This week, Falcon celebrates its 50th Anniverdsary Down Under... The big Ford's history is chequered but in the main it is a celebration of what's good about Aussie cars, and the engineering and car building nouse that went in to creating their legend...

Feature articles:
- Falcon's 50th celebrations begin at Broadmeadows
- A pocket history of the Falcon: Australia's big Ford has a rich history
- The first Australian Falcon (and what does it mean?): The first Australian Falcon, wasn't the first Falcon
- High points in the Falcon versus Holden contest: the Blue versus Red battle has always been hard fought
- Falcon low points: not all Falcons were created equal... Indeed, there were some shockers...
- Unsung and undersung Falcon heroes: the HO gets the limelight but there were other Falcon heroes
- Falcon Facts: did you know?
- The best Falcon: it's a matter of opinion, but...
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me the best Falcon was the XD. It was a Falcon exactly what the community and country wanted. Big body, plenty of ground clearance, modern styling, big boot, bench seat option, practical, good power, good fuel economy, full range including panel van, ute, wagon and sedan. I remember in my town it seemed that nearly every family had a XD Falcon in their driveway when it was released, definatley hit the spot with us rural buyers.

Since then, the Falcon has kind of turned into a car the 25 year old Marketing graduates at Ford want to buy, not the kind traditional rural Falcon buyers want (which may be a good thing!!). Luckily the SUV market has stepped in and filled the gap in the market to a certain extent.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

A very interesting group of articles. They really seem to hate/love AU!! At least they had the decency to write about how much better a car mechanically it was than the VT.
Some interesting facts regarding early falcons. I did not know about the XP's success and the XK's "failure"!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
A very interesting group of articles. They really seem to hate/love AU!! At least they had the decency to write about how much better a car mechanically it was than the VT.
Some interesting facts regarding early falcons. I did not know about the XP's success and the XK's "failure"!
I wonder if we could see a breakdown of AU rural/city sales.

The funny thing, out my way, the AU was very very popular. Even though it wasnt the prettiest thing it actually looked new and different hence it gave people the reason to trade-in so they can be seen in the lastest thing - which is an appeal the FG dosnt have as much of (it looks good but not necessarily new or different).

Also the AU had the factory bull-bar, EA levels of ground clearance - which got a lot of older folks back into Falcon, aerodynamic design which country people thought would help highway fuel consumption (which it did). Engine which could run on no coolant (great if you hit a roo), a new wagon, and a new three seat column shift with front individual buckets.

Ford were selling 5000-6000 a month when I got mine even against the stunningly good looking VT, and the dealer reckons he had overtaken some metro dealers in Falcon sales. Great country car!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I wonder if we could see a breakdown of AU rural/city sales.

The funny thing, out my way, the AU was very very popular. Even though it wasnt the prettiest thing it actually looked new and different hence it gave people the reason to trade-in so they can be seen in the lastest thing - which is an appeal the FG dosnt have as much of (it looks good but not necessarily new or different).

Also the AU had the factory bull-bar, EA levels of ground clearance - which got a lot of older folks back into Falcon, aerodynamic design which country people thought would help highway fuel consumption (which it did). Engine which could run on no coolant (great if you hit a roo), a new wagon, and a new three seat column shift with front individual buckets.

Ford were selling 5000-6000 a month when I got mine even against the stunningly good looking VT, and the dealer reckons he had overtaken some metro dealers in Falcon sales. Great country car!
I'll have to agree here, a fantastic rural car the AU and with the extra torque over the VT and the already established longevity of the I6, Im not surprised it sold so well. The AU as a city car, however, obviously not so good. But the AU did sell quite well, it is percieved as a total fail but really, other cars have done worse.
My pick as number 1 falcon would probably be XD or EL, XD for reasons listed above, EL for being a fantastic looking car With massive reliability, selling tons and having one of the best looking sports models around.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

EF or EL won a Bathurst also.

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Funny, I still remember looking at the scoop photos of the AU in Wheels back in 1998. I was so stunned - I could not believe Ford could design something so ugly. The XR's were particularly bad. It's only as of the last year or 2, that I think the AU has hits its prime styling wise. It now looks more modern than the VT. It has aged well.

Ford has rarely had its ducks all lined up, despite some very good product over the decades. Either great styling and ancient mechanicals (XD), great mechanicals and bad styling (AU) and everything in-between.

A pity, as Holden have seemed to get away with murder, but the marketing has been better.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
It's only as of the last year or 2, that I think the AU has hits its prime styling wise. It now looks more modern than the VT. It has aged well.
It always helps when Mercedes produce a car a decade later with some styling cues similar to the AU...oh, it costs $166,000? Oh, well, then it's great looking!

I personally think the AUs look magnificent still. They really need a spoiler at the back and when they do, they look fantastic.

VTs look tired, as do VXs. Magnas and Camrys from the same era also look severely dated, though I thought the Camry from 1997 was dated the day it entered showrooms...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
By memory, I think it was 1998.

I remember standing outside my music classroom (Year 8) and talking about Bathurst, and you had your Holden fans making excuses, while the Ford people sticking it in.

I really didn't care...but I do remember 1998....

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 GT
Interesting arcticle. If you go to the website each one of those 'Featured articles:' is a URL taking you off to another article.

Just finished reading through all the different articles. What a great read.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
fordv8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
EL Bright and Richards!!!!!! i was watching with a heap of holden guys and skaife went of a the bottom of conrod ah i was coping heaps till that moment!!!! then they wanted to change the channel haha
back on topic sorry! very good articles long live the mighty falcon!!!!!!!!!!
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

It is very strange how times change. I remember when the AU was new, I was shocked and appalled at how my beloved Ford could design something so catastrophically ugly. Then I found out that the looks were a trade off, that the Yanks were allowed to style it in an agreement to keep it RWD.

Now, I think the AU is one of the most modern looking cars around, with that big sloping forehead, and the basic design first went on sale 11ish years ago.

I wish we had done the styling locally so I could be proud of it, it's a good looking car.

Of course, happy to be corrected...
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

As a T-Series owner some might call me biased, but personal rides aside, the AU is more relevant now as a design than it was at its launch.
Its an example of forward thinking design and proof that square/edge is timeless.
Its funny how many folks not in the know now perceive the AU to be the more current evolution / facelift of the B series.
Steve Parks was a visionary.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Interesting he rates a GE6 Turbo in 4th overall, I doubt you find a Ford enthusiast who would pick a GE6 Turbo ahead of a XA GT Hardtop.
I know which one I would rather own.

Ed: author John Wright reckons his top five individual Falcon variants are:
(1) XY GTHO
(2) XP Futura Hardtop
(3) XT GT
(4) FG G6E Turbo
(5) XA GT Hardtop

PS: lets not bog the thread down in bagging and or defending the look of the AU, its a Falcon its part of the Blue Oval history.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Interesting he rates a GE6 Turbo in 4th overall, I doubt you find a Ford enthusiast who would pick a GE6 Turbo ahead of a XA GT Hardtop.
I know which one I would rather own.

Ed: author John Wright reckons his top five individual Falcon variants are:
(1) XY GTHO
(2) XP Futura Hardtop
(3) XT GT
(4) FG G6E Turbo
(5) XA GT Hardtop

PS: lets not bog the thread down in bagging and or defending the look of the AU, its a Falcon its part of the Blue Oval history.
Enthusiast/s is an often confused term used to describe either an owner or a vehicles generic group etc.
Many folks WILL argue that the XA Gt hardtop is ofcourse an enthusiasts car and should rate higher than the FG G6E turbo.
I myself however believe that as desirable as ALL the old classics are, a true "enthusiasts" choice picking would see the FG turbo in number 1 spot.

Yep i hear ya all screamin, but no hoey ever, can nor will accelerate, corner, brake and drive like an FG g6e turbo - and it would just be a reflection of non product improvement at FOMOCO if it did.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50
Enthusiast/s is an often confused term used to describe either an owner or a vehicles generic group etc.
Many folks WILL argue that the XA Gt hardtop is ofcourse an enthusiasts car and should rate higher than the FG G6E turbo.
I myself however believe that as desirable as ALL the old classics are, a true "enthusiasts" choice picking would see the FG turbo in number 1 spot.

Yep i hear ya all screamin, but no hoey ever, can nor will accelerate, corner, brake and drive like an FG g6e turbo - and it would just be a reflection of non product improvement at FOMOCO if it did.

I understand exactly what you are saying. There is a difference between a 'driving enthusiast' and a 'nostalgic enthusiast'.

The true 'driving enthusiast' will have to admit that the G6E turbo is the way to go.

Having said that, I will take the XA GT
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post