Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
TimXR6

Default Statutory Warranties

Sorry for the long post.....

Last week I bought an AUII ute from a dealer in Southport QLD. 150,000kms.

On my initial inspection of the car I noticed there was oil leaking from around the timing case/ power steering pump. While I was there he had a mechanic(based in the same complex) look at it who said it was simply a seal around a bolt. I Said no prob, have it and the sagging roof lining fixed and I will buy it.

So, next day I receive a call saying the car is ready. When I look at the repair it appears untouched. I ask the dealer if it had even been repaired and he assured me it had. I looked him in the eyes and said "are you sure mate, looks the same as it did yesterday". again he assures me its been done.

Fast forward a week and after some degreasing. Its obvious the leak is still there. In fact when the car is running you can see it bubbling.

Now, I want this and a few other things fixed properly under statutory warranty. I am however, not interested in handing the car over to the mob who sold it to me. He's proven himself untrustworthy. It is a small dealership so I am forced to deal with the one bloke. I get the feeling he will thrash the car if I were to leave it with him for repair, out of spite.

Do I have to return it to the dealer to have it repaired? Or can I have it done at a repairer of my choice and send the bill to the dealer?

Again, sorry for the long post. Appreciate any help

TimXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Stat warranty is with the dealer you bought the car from unfortunately. Any warranty after that (AWN etc) you will contact the warranty company directly.
Old 23-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
StrokedXT
Banned

Doesnt stat warranty only cover roadworthy issues?

Good luck though, usually better to cut your losses and fix it yourself then waste time chasing dodgy car sales people.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Not exactly, Have a read of this

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/st...d-vehicles.htm

It does state that you may be able to choose your repairer. I have never seen this allowed to be honest.
Old 23-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pay to fix the leak yourself.. sneak back there in a months time at 2am and rub dog poo over a couple cars.... you'll feel much better about it all.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
TimXR6

Yep, I saw that website, which made me think about my options.

I know I am quite capable of fixing the problem. Which is probably what will end up happening. Not the point though. Out and out dishonesty gives me the shits. I am tempted to take it to my local ford and get them to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Send the report to the dealer and make them fix everything covered by the stat' warranty.

The car wasnt a bargain price to start with, wanted to put money toward mods, not bloody repairs
TimXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimXR6
Yep, I saw that website, which made me think about my options.

I know I am quite capable of fixing the problem. Which is probably what will end up happening. Not the point though. Out and out dishonesty gives me the shits. I am tempted to take it to my local ford and get them to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Send the report to the dealer and make them fix everything covered by the stat' warranty.

The car wasnt a bargain price to start with, wanted to put money toward mods, not bloody repairs
Why not run the issue by your consumer advocate? Clearly there is an issue.
The dealer has stated the fault you picked up was rectified and you can prove it was not.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Take the car back to the dealer and get them to fix it. After all, the roadworthy is valid for 30 days from date of pruchase (maybe longer), so they are responsible for the oil leak to be fixed, as the car is deemed unroadworthy with an oil leak

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

either that or join the 99% of AU owners who have a very, very, very slowly leaking timing cover seal

Mine drops 1 drop per night and has done for the past 4 years and 90,000klms.
Old 23-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Take the car back to the dealer and get them to fix it. After all, the roadworthy is valid for 30 days from date of pruchase (maybe longer), so they are responsible for the oil leak to be fixed, as the car is deemed unroadworthy with an oil leak
technically for a roadworthy its only if the oil drips onto the ground, exhaust or brakes. Otherwise it is allowed to be damp. However for a statutory warranty, any oil leak is covered. Another set of stupid rules that havent been thought out properly.
Old 23-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
pay to fix the leak yourself.. sneak back there in a months time at 2am and rub dog poo over a couple cars.... you'll feel much better about it all.....
Every comment that you post makes me laugh
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
good one
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
technically for a roadworthy its only if the oil drips onto the ground, exhaust or brakes. Otherwise it is allowed to be damp. However for a statutory warranty, any oil leak is covered. Another set of stupid rules that havent been thought out properly.

I may have misinterperated the original posting, but from my understanding of what was written, it's a leak rather than dampness. If that the case (and a big if) and it is a leak, it'd definately be covered by he roadworthiness certificate. Otherwise, I do agree. Trying to interperate stupid rules and getting them to work in your benefit is a battle in itself

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post