Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #91
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Although we had V8 Fairmonts for how long and sold bugger all?

No...the puzzle NOW is complete. People have already clearly shown they don't want 8-Cylinder luxury.

The current line-up is complete as it is. Its results speak for themselves.
Don't agree. While the V8 does bring with it teh 'gas guzzler' mentality (esp if the equivalent is a turbo 6 seen as 'techy') the V8 fairmonts did sell in the earlie years quite well (despite the v8 back then being no faster than the atmo 6).

The G6ET sells so well now not because its a six (though it may help as per above mentoined reason), but because it is damn damn quick. The word is out...the top line luxury falcon can knock of some big name equipment....and runs the same engine as the sport model equivalent. The BA generaiton fairmont didn't do this....it was seen as 'slow', and the engine (based on raw numbers at least) uncompetitive. Holden meanwhile was putting the same engine in the calais as the SS....

It is true that the G8E may never outsell the G6ET. BUT, it would sell enough to be profitable IMO (if using XR8 running gear), and would take some of its sales from the G6ET as well as holden buyers who went to the red side because there was a lack of V8 luxury ford or more likely long term holden buyers who just wont' accept a six pot. Moreover, a G8E would like be faster than a G6ET, so it would be the new 'king' so to speak.

I see heaps of G6ET being driven very very sedately....often by middle aged ladies on teh way to the shops. They (or their husbands) bougth the car because of the image of what it COULD do, not to atcually use it. The BA V8 fairmont was never seen to be fast so no one wanted it. It was also not diferentiated enough compared to the six pot version. G6ET has a chachet, a Fairmong Ghia (with V8) did not. I dont' see how you can make the argument that the G8E wont work if the G6ET does.

Is it worth the investment. Maybe not (only Ford knows). But there is a market for it, with incremental sales to boot.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #92
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I heard it was going to be called the G8 ESP and be a limited edition anniversary model to commemorate 30 years of the XD model.

XD was 1978/9 wasn't it ???
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #93
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
XD was 1978/9 wasn't it ???
I meant the XD ESP, which was released in 1980.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #94
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I meant the XD ESP, which was released in 1980.

Mmmmm....

My personal opinion is it won't happen..

However if it was to happen , it'd be 2011 not 2010.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #95
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
*Columnn shift being developed for Commodore (no joke, what the...???)
Realise it must be in reference to the US police car, so irrelevant to Australian market.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #96
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
I see heaps of G6ET being driven very very sedately....often by middle aged ladies on teh way to the shops. They (or their husbands) bougth the car because of the image of what it COULD do, not to atcually use it.
Now you're in BIG trouble, if I show my wife (young 40'ish) your post she's going to sedately drive over you until you're permanently sedated. You are right though she does average 22km/hr going to work and back...and it's hard work getting that up into the 40-50's on weekend's but someone has to do it . You're spot on about the G6ET being the first Ford to offer easily better performance than anything from Holden with an 8 or 6 in a long, long time.

In my own case, if replacement time came up and it was G6ET vs G8E and they offered identical performance I'd choose the G8E. I prefer the Q-car look with balls of titanium and if the performance and handling are the same I'll take the better soundtrack.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #97
Ed_Vic

I reckon with the new engine they'll do a G8E, they'd be mad not to. From everything thats come out of the states with Coyote Mustangs, it sounds like its going to be an absolute ball tearer, just like the turbo motor.
Ed_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #98
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I, too, agree that a G8E with the best V8 engine Ford can make (rather than the 'it fits under the bonnet' 220) would sell well. I very nearly bought a V8 Fairmont Ghia myself when the BA came out, until I realised how down on power it was. So I went for an XR8 and blinged it up a bit instead.

I agree with the idea that the luxury segment cars are bought and sold on the premise that they COULD do amazing things. Ford had chosen, during the B series years, to not put the good 260/290 V8's into the Fairmonts/Fairlanes, nor did they put the Turbo in.

And look what happened in the G6ET as soon as they did just one of those. I think the market is still there for both of them to work - Holden, BMW, Mercedes and Chrysler are all proving that the V8 still has a life in the luxury segment.

Although, given another 12 months or so, my decision to buy one of these would also include the fitment of a LiLPG dual fuel conversion in the process. My last V8 purchase was approved when fuel was 89c Litre. How many other people here can seriously sustain $1.50 Litre for Premium fuel when LPG is still down at 70c/Litre? And while LiLPG does increase consumption marginally, it also gives an INCREASE in power on forced induction cars....

Lukeyson
Old 09-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #99
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I think Ford would be mad not to add the G8E as it would provide a direct and superior rival to Calais V. Also a great way to amortise costs with the XR8.

If it is to happen, I don't see it happening before the wagon is axed, but before the new Territory. Otherwise it would be after the eco-boost i4t is launched.

As for the diesel Falcon, i would really like to see that happen too. But with Ecoboost coming, it can probably do a similar job for less money. If the Territory diesel becomes a huge seller, then it may become a natural to try it in Falcon. I'd image it to be badged Falcon Eco-netic with a 6L/100km aim.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:49 AM   #100
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8

My personal opinion is it won't happen..
Why do you say that? There's info from about two months ago saying it will.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #101
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

From our favourite "The XR8 is to be dropped" and "The Falcon to end production in Australia" Mr Stinky Spinks - http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...0115-mb3u.html

And to quote Burela:

"One option is that you go with XR8 and have a different calibration of tuning for the Ford versus the FPV [V8 models]. The second is as you describe [dropping the XR8 from the line-up]. There's probably a third option, too."

Lukeyson
Old 09-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #102
XR8putts

The success of the G6E/T means a G8E is almost certainly a given.

Take one 5.0 XR8 body, slap G6ET lights, bumpers, interior and the optional 19s and hey presto G8E. It is that simple right? Can't see it costing Ford anything to develop? However this approach would see the G8E with a 'sports' suspension. But this isno biggie as I can't pick a difference in ride between the FG XR6T and the G6ET. Both are still very comfortable. All the dsc, abs calibration would be the same as a coyote XR too. This would give the dated Calais V a massive kick in the nuts.

Last edited by XR8putts; 09-05-2010 at 12:30 PM.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #103
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'll see stagered launches of coyote products to maintain maximum "hype" and also allow Ford to ramp production and cater to demand.

It would be pretty silly to release a bunch of new products and you cant cater to demand or pipe fill.
Dont expect to see everything all at once.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #104
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I think you'll see stagered launches of coyote products to maintain maximum "hype" and also allow Ford to ramp production and cater to demand.

It would be pretty silly to release a bunch of new products and you cant cater to demand or pipe fill.
Dont expect to see everything all at once.
A certain part has to be changed on all Falcons in order to make the upgrade economical
once that happens, all is good....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #105
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't agree. While the V8 does bring with it teh 'gas guzzler' mentality (esp if the equivalent is a turbo 6 seen as 'techy') the V8 fairmonts did sell in the earlie years quite well (despite the v8 back then being no faster than the atmo 6).

The G6ET sells so well now not because its a six (though it may help as per above mentoined reason), but because it is damn damn quick. The word is out...the top line luxury falcon can knock of some big name equipment....and runs the same engine as the sport model equivalent. The BA generaiton fairmont didn't do this....it was seen as 'slow', and the engine (based on raw numbers at least) uncompetitive. Holden meanwhile was putting the same engine in the calais as the SS....

It is true that the G8E may never outsell the G6ET. BUT, it would sell enough to be profitable IMO (if using XR8 running gear), and would take some of its sales from the G6ET as well as holden buyers who went to the red side because there was a lack of V8 luxury ford or more likely long term holden buyers who just wont' accept a six pot. Moreover, a G8E would like be faster than a G6ET, so it would be the new 'king' so to speak.

I see heaps of G6ET being driven very very sedately....often by middle aged ladies on teh way to the shops. They (or their husbands) bougth the car because of the image of what it COULD do, not to atcually use it. The BA V8 fairmont was never seen to be fast so no one wanted it. It was also not diferentiated enough compared to the six pot version. G6ET has a chachet, a Fairmong Ghia (with V8) did not. I dont' see how you can make the argument that the G8E wont work if the G6ET does.

Is it worth the investment. Maybe not (only Ford knows). But there is a market for it, with incremental sales to boot.
Fair enough...but some people might like the zip that the I6T brings. A V8 may not interest them in the slightest.

If marketing properly it may work, but the V8 Fairmont collapsed in the end and bringing it back so soon may not exactly work...

I am not sure if people wanting a luxury model want what a V8 brings.

I suggest caution in re-introducing it.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #106
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think more than anything, luxury buyers want effortless performance. Not necessarily ball tearing performance, but they dont want to be revving past 3000rpm to catch up to traffic perhaps.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #107
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I think more than anything, luxury buyers want effortless performance. Not necessarily ball tearing performance, but they dont want to be revving past 3000rpm to catch up to traffic perhaps.
That is quite incorrect if you're assuming the n.a. 5.0 wouldn't provide ample torque to get it moving rapidly with part throttle. Remember, it makes about the same torque as the L98 6 litre (and more than the auto L76) but at lower rpm.

If you're saying luxury buyers think it won't have that characteristic then they need their head checked simply cos they can't read spec sheets.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #108
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
That is quite incorrect if you're assuming the n.a. 5.0 wouldn't provide ample torque to get it moving rapidly with part throttle. Remember, it makes about the same torque as the L98 6 litre (and more than the auto L76) but at lower rpm.

If you're saying luxury buyers think it won't have that characteristic then they need their head checked simply cos they can't read spec sheets.
This is especially the case if you take into account the G8E (if it runs the XR8 running gear, which is likely) is almost certainly forced induction. This is based on firming rumours that the XR8 will be SC. I think a low down torque monster is just what luxury saloon buyers want. I know that because if you go into any merc, beemer or audi dealership and look at the big luxo barges that is exactly the sorts of engines they have....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #109
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

I was thinking more in line with Holden's relative success with thier V8 luxury models, and the theory that rather than people wanting V8's, they simply dont want V6's.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #110
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I was thinking more in line with Holden's relative success with thier V8 luxury models, and the theory that rather than people wanting V8's, they simply dont want V6's.
It's more that there's a huge gap between the performance of the V6 and V8 Holdens
but not so much with the "feel" of the Ford I-6, most people being pleased with it while
Holden buyers were under whelmed with their V6 performance.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #111
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is especially the case if you take into account the G8E (if it runs the XR8 running gear, which is likely) is almost certainly forced induction. This is based on firming rumours that the XR8 will be SC. I think a low down torque monster is just what luxury saloon buyers want. I know that because if you go into any merc, beemer or audi dealership and look at the big luxo barges that is exactly the sorts of engines they have....

I personally think that a G8E would outsell the G6E Turbo, just a gut feeling.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #112
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I personally think that a G8E would outsell the G6E Turbo, just a gut feeling.
I agree that it could. But even with some substitution, there will be a net increase in sales. Profitable, image making sales!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post