Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation QLD Revenue Cameras earn $338,741 a Day !!!!

SPEEDING drivers are clocking up a breathtaking $338,741 a day in revenue for the State Government.

And the proportion of leadfoots caught travelling significantly above the speed limit is on the rise.

Figures obtained by The Courier-Mail print edition show speeding fine revenue jumped from $98 million in 2008 to $123.6 million last year.

The extra $70,000 flowing into government coffers every day follows a 33 per cent hike in penalties, introduced at the start of last year.

Overall, there were actually fewer motorists caught speeding last year.

But more of those who were caught were snapped at higher speeds and therefore copped bigger fines.

Penalties range from $133 for driving up to 13km/h over the limit to $933 for exceeding the speed limit by more than 40km/h.

Police expect more drivers will be caught this year as a result of the introduction of covert cameras.

"It is hoped that continued enforcement will deter motorists from speeding and, in turn, reduce the tragic loss of life on our roads," a Queensland Police Service spokeswoman said.

Queensland Transport statistics show police using hand-held radars caught many more drivers at higher speeds (153,715) than those going "just over" the limit (42,720). mycomment..proof revenue raising...

The opposite was true for mobile and fixed-speed cameras, which snapped far more low-range offenders than excessive speedsters.

Michael Lane from the National Motorists Association of Australia said it appeared that police using radar were employing a "bit of discretion".

"Logically they've said, 'we'll pull the guys doing the faster speeds over, rather than booking someone for a small amount'," he said.

But a QPS spokeswoman said police "did not exercise discretion for life-endangering offences".

"Police remain committed to detecting and deterring speeding in all offence categories," she said.

Mr Lane said the high number of speeding fines raised questions about the appropriateness of speed limits in some areas of Queensland.

"We would argue that if they're booking so many people and imposing so many fines – is there a problem with the rules?" he said.

"If you go through other parts of the world, freeways are running at 130km/h, not 100 or 110. The 100km/h open road speed limit was introduced way back in the 1960s when the roads were worse, vehicles were worse and drivers were a lot worse."

But police said the revenue from speeding offences was "a relatively small amount".

"The economic cost of the road toll to the community is billions of dollars. This doesn't encompass the personal cost," the QPS spokeswoman said.

"If everyone drove to the speed limit they wouldn't be fined and we would be very happy with that."

A Queensland Transport spokesman said all revenue raised from speed fines went "straight back into road safety programs and their administration". The programs included education and awareness, and road accident injury rehabilitation.

Old 28-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Penalties range from $133 for driving up to 13km/h over the limit to $933 for exceeding the speed limit by more than 40km/h.
Wow I got hit with $214 a few months back for doing 12 over the limit here in SA so imagine how much more SAPOL would make with similar figures to QLD

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
fg_nitro

It seems the safer cars get, the lower the speed limits.

QLD what are they spending $338,741 a day on?

338,741 x 365 days = $ 123 640 465 p.a

I bet they dont pay tax on that income!
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

"life endangering offences"

last time i got booked, it was 13km/h over, and i got told "Due to the life endangering nature of this offence I have to issue you with an infringement notice"

Life endangering? Hardly, the only lives in danger were mine from busting my guts laughing at his stupidity, and his from me wringing his neck for being an oxygen thief

If covert cameras are introduced up here, I can only pray for the scum manning them, I for one will be happy to take action to remove them from service, and I am NOT alone in that sentiment.
Old 28-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg_nitro
QLD what are they spending $338,741 a day on?
More of Kapitan Bligh's schemes no doubt.....
Old 28-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Queensland Transport statistics show police using hand-held radars caught many more drivers at higher speeds (153,715) than those going "just over" the limit (42,720). mycomment..proof revenue raising...

The opposite was true for mobile and fixed-speed cameras, which snapped far more low-range offenders than excessive speedsters.
That's because Qld police using hand helds usually pull over people above 13 kph that are clearly speeding and show discretion on people doing less tha 13 kph over....

Fixed cameras are placed to get revenue where higher range speeding offenses are less common.
Transport department historical records of speeding offenses are used to justify these sites....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
"life endangering offences"
"If covert cameras are introduced up here, I can only pray for the scum manning them, I for one will be happy to take action to remove them from service, and I am NOT alone in that sentiment.
Thats great, you don't like the law so your answer appears to be to beat up on the "scum" administring it. I would bet pounds to pennies that neither Anna Bligh or too many other ministerial legislators will be interested in opinions like yours,even if they do frequent this forum, but I'm sure there are probably a few people on here who earn there livings administring this legislation who would be pretty pi$$ed with that attitude.
Old 28-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

This (the OP) only furthers my belief that whilst the Government would like to stop
people getting injured or killed in car accidents, they do not want them
to stop speeding.

It's in the same family of revenue as tax on beer and smokes, I reckon.
Ergo, drink but don't get drunk and violent, smoke but don't get sick.

It all presents as ridiculous to me..... and this is our government ??
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Thats great, you don't like the law so your answer appears to be to beat up on the "scum" administring it
If the police so strongly believe that speed cameras are merely revenue raising tools, why do they not only man them willingly, but place them in positions where they will raise the most funds?

Locally, i am aware of 2 locations where the police like to hide thier camera car, one is in the scrub on the edge of a highway at the bottom of a hill 10km out of town, the only fatality within 5km was when a horse bolted from a stock camp at night and was hit by a falcon, killing the driver

The other? behind a tree on the main street in town less than 100m from where there has been at least 4 fatalities in the last 10 years.......

I'll let you guess which one hasnt been used in the last 3 years
Old 28-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
If the police so strongly believe that speed cameras are merely revenue raising tools, why do they not only man them willingly, but place them in positions where they will raise the most funds?

Locally, i am aware of 2 locations where the police like to hide thier camera car, one is in the scrub on the edge of a highway at the bottom of a hill 10km out of town, the only fatality within 5km was when a horse bolted from a stock camp at night and was hit by a falcon, killing the driver

The other? behind a tree on the main street in town less than 100m from where there has been at least 4 fatalities in the last 10 years.......

I'll let you guess which one hasnt been used in the last 3 years
They do what they are told to do by senior police you are a bit more "politically motivated".

They have no choice.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
SVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
They do what they are told to do by senior police you are a bit more "politically motivated".

They have no choice.
they may have no choice and they may be doing what they are told, but why? why oh why?!?! do they spew forth crap like "we would much rather the camera's didn't get used and make us no money it all..." "its about safety and saving lives"

Thats just BS and every politician and road user with half of a brain knows it too.

I would love to see what Victoria makes a day from BS fines, after all it is the fine state...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
Jeddak
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

--------SIGH--------
while revenue raising is the catchcry , and the argument has its merits,
be fore you make such hard comments against the cops ,go and have a quiet chat to one of them after attending a crash where too high a speed in that situation overcame the cars safety features and killed some one and the cops and ambos had to clean up the mess
O5 / 05 SX TS RWD Winter White, Driving Lights, Flaps, Racks, Turbo Grille, Ghia Bumper Trims and tailgate chrome , Colour Coded Mirrors,Tint,h/d towbar and chrome tow ball ,Sy chrome Beltline molds , leather and chrome shifter and Ghia Leather bound steering wheel
Stainless steel number plate frames and shifter quadrant, leather arm rest
All reconditioned SZ front suspension now in place
Chrome door pull inserts with chrome inner latch handles done
Jeddak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How is a covert camera Speeding enforcement in any possible way?

Also, i wonder if the rate of increase in higher range speeding tickets correllates to the lowering of speed limits around the state?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

if they were serous about saftey they would drive a marked car around...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
fg_nitro

Hows about more marked patrols rather than hiding in the bushes.
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if the gov could make that sort of money with a advanced driving training instructing deal.
They would look into doing it then i think.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg_nitro
Hows about more marked patrols rather than hiding in the bushes.
because i'm sure people do the right thing when there is a police car on their tail
Old 28-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #18
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

With all this money coming in a day, it wouldent be to hard to get up n going a driver training course or upgrade roads...something useful and logical perhaps?
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #19
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
if they were serous about saftey they would drive a marked car around...
But that would only DETER speeding and other offences and NOT raise revinue.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Over the long weekend i only drove for a 2 hour stretch and counted the rozers, saw only one cop car driving, 2 vans in usual places and then 3 radar gun guys. All 3 were hiding being telegraph poles one at the bottom of a long hill the other 2 at the top of a hill but pinging the drivers coming down a hill before ascending up the other side only to be met with a cop standing in the middle of the road waving them in.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Of course, none of this matters if you don't speed...

I might just buy that Ecoboost I-4 Falcon and a "Volvo" cap....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Just be thankful for all the speeding motorists Australia wide.

If it wasn't for them the rest of us law abiding (chuckle) people would have to fork out the money in another form of tax!
Old 28-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #23
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Just be thankful for all the speeding motorists Australia wide.

If it wasn't for them the rest of us law abiding (chuckle) people would have to fork out the money in another form of tax!
sshhhhhhhh!!!!
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #24
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
sshhhhhhhh!!!!

hehe, they don't make money if you dont get caught!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
krt10
eskyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
because i'm sure people do the right thing when there is a police car on their tail
well thats exactly what the government say they want. i didnt think it was about catching offenders but rather deterring them so they dont offend. if that were true im sure we would have a much poorer government