Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If any of you guys have been driving towards oaklands junction from the tulla, right next to Melbourne Airport, theres a spot there with a left hooker and people like to do U turns on the bend instead of travelling another kilometer to the roundabout up ahead, theres been a few deaths there.

Divide 100 by 3.6, thats how many meters per second you're travelling at when you do 100km/h. People should think about that before they pull out in front of someone doing 100km/h.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #32
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO-04L
mate i know exactly what you mean, I live on cement hill and travel up lonsdale daily, if its not a pair of Camry's sitting next to each other its some festiva cutting me off and pulling into the right lane trying desperately to overtake a truck at 80Kph up a hill. Ive learnt to just relax and take my time, anything else and I'm just wasting fuel!
Cement hill is the worst section of that stretch ever, especially now that they dropped the 80k at the base of the hill to 60k.

You get stuck behind a bus or truck that halfway up the hill can now do 80, but doesn't have the power so sits the rest of the way at 60, and guess what? No chance of the right lane because the 400 cars behind you have already taken it.

They should NEVER have dropped that speed limit there, not one person I know agrees with it, and all it does is increase congestion.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #33
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Cement hill is the worst section of that stretch ever, especially now that they dropped the 80k at the base of the hill to 60k.

You get stuck behind a bus or truck that halfway up the hill can now do 80, but doesn't have the power so sits the rest of the way at 60, and guess what? No chance of the right lane because the 400 cars behind you have already taken it.

They should NEVER have dropped that speed limit there, not one person I know agrees with it, and all it does is increase congestion.
Now trucks and buses who could previously get a run up to get up that hill no longer can as easily, do you remember the decent quarry truck drivers who regularly used the emergency stopping lane when climbing that hill to avoid creating traffic flow obstruction, hats off to these decent considerate drivers Our car drivers could take a leaf out of their book.

I have seen the "syrup and figs" lasering that stretch regularly, it is probably the most blatant revenue based speed limit reduction I've seen, realistically if it was about safety the busy roads like Finniss st Marion, Adams rd Trott Park would be still sign posted as 60 kph but the side streets would all be 40 kph, 50 kph is too fast past my house but too slow along adams rd, my son nearly got killed when a woman driving with her eyes closed (tunnel vision) legally at 50 kph didn't see him on his bike.

Last edited by muso; 03-04-2010 at 03:47 PM.
muso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #34
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso
Now trucks and buses who could previously get a run up to get up that hill no longer can as easily, do you remember the decent quarry truck drivers who regularly used the emergency stopping lane when climbing that hill to avoid creating traffic flow obstruction, hats off to these decent considerate drivers Our car drivers could take a leaf out of their book.

I have seen the "syrup and figs" lasering that stretch regularly, it is probably the most blatant revenue based speed limit reduction I've seen
Yeah those truckers were awesome, they'd use that lane to get their speed up and not disrupt traffic - then come back in when they had their speed matched to the traffic.

When they first dropped that stretch to 60, I was driving home from work about 4:30/5 every afternoon, and for the first two weeks, I think 8 out of the 10 days there was an officer with a laser. And from memory, only once was he aiming it at traffic, the rest of the times he had someone pulled over already.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #35
SLO-04L
It Never Ends

yeah the 60 zone sucks, but that being said we live on the left side right opposite the scholefield rd where the 60 sign is, and i can honestly see the reason behind it. When we first moved in every second day (at the very least twice a week) there was an accident out front where some one was hit either turning on to Ocean Blvd or trying to cross it.
Since they have dropped it to 60 i honestly cant remember the last one to have happened. A lot of lights taken out though!
I remember last day of school in 2004 sitting out front with a couple of mates and watch some moron in a camry wagon pull out right in front of a cyclist who was absolutely flying down the hill, him and his bike went right over the front of the car, must have launched a good 10m before he hit the ground and slid! happened right in front of us and the clown in the camry got out and started to abuse the cyclist lying on the ground screaming in pain, had no idea what had just happened
SLO-04L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #36
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta

When they first dropped that stretch to 60, I was driving home from work about 4:30/5 every afternoon, and for the first two weeks, I think 8 out of the 10 days there was an officer with a laser. And from memory, only once was he aiming it at traffic, the rest of the times he had someone pulled over already.

It's an obvious speed trap, but I guess there is a clear sign saying 60 kph there so if you speed past it I guess they'll take you, I know the cops I've spoken to really get ****ed off with motorists who ignore an obvious sign, especially stop signs (which is understandable) but they could have provided a week or so of grace to allow regular motorists to adjust to the lower speed limit on that stretch.

What I want is one of those "Pay Justice for our Police" stickers, a mate drove a really old rusty crap heap in the mid 90's and never got defected or pulled over once while he had that sticker on his bumper.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #37
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

SLO-04L, there I guess you get to see things which people driving past don't, hope the cyclist was OK.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #38
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf100capri
yeah, its had a quick paint job now, have a look in the sa spotted section, page 181

elf100capri, I think I've seen your 67 XR on Brighton rd, I was the one in the blue BA XR6T sitting back a bit in the left lane, drooling and telling my kids "Thats a real car"

Don't ever sell her, she is an Australian classic :
Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #39
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

thanks mate
yeah i remember a blue xr6, not sure where i was heading
dont think ill sell it, im not far away from owning it 25 years now.

are they still using the tree camera, camoflage style opposite the golf course?
i saw a motorcycle cop parked just before the 80 sign on the way up the hill the other day, they use a fixed radar now, handsfree.
its been a while since ive seen a m/c cop parked in amongst the median strip trees, past the shopping centre with a radar too
my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #40
GTP-03

i was driving back on that road one day just after it rained, then the sun came out and the sheen on the road was so unbelievable i couldnt see where i was going because it was like staring straight into the sun, I couldnt stop either in fear of getting rear ended by cars in the same predicament, been up and down that road many many times, it only takes one idiot to cause a major ripple on affect behind them, guess idiots like that are every where though.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #41
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:

are they still using the tree camera, camoflage style opposite the golf course?
i saw a motorcycle cop parked just before the 80 sign on the way up the hill the other day, they use a fixed radar now, handsfree.
its been a while since ive seen a m/c cop parked in amongst the median strip trees, past the shopping centre with a radar too
Hell, where's this Tree Camera? Never heard of it, I don't condone speeding but If they are getting like that I might just grow a tree over my number plates, it ill help the environment in a small way

The fixed lasers must be on the vehicle, I know patrol cars can check your speed comming from the other direction (head on)

I've seen m/c cop and also BF ford speed cameras in the bushes past the Cove rd heading north towards the Hallett Cove shopping centre.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #42
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

heading up the hill, just as u straighten up opposite the golf course theres some trees close to the road. they sit the camera right next to them and the car is sitting in down behind the trees. the camera is on a tripod with a green bag over it and leaves and bits hanging off it, disguised quite well, the car hidden behind the trees isnt though
Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #43
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

So this tree camera is on the up track of cement hill before the majors rd intersection? I know the road and use it frequently but have not really paid much attention to the area.

I generally adhere to speed limits (one fine in my entire life in 1998 and I've been driving since 1979) but the leaves hanging off it is a bit of a surprise, so if you have a tree come up to your car, there maybe a policeman in it, next we might see portable trees loaded with cameras LOL

I've just checked a map and can see the Marino Golf course, I remember now that section with trees, I always sit right on 60 kph there because I always felt there may be hidden cameras and often see Laser gun cops there.

Last edited by muso; 03-04-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #44
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

camera sits amongst the trees just past gardenia st and the car parks down a bit almost on west st behind the trees

Last edited by my67xr; 12-12-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #45
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

cheers for the map elf, these days it is a far cry from the late 70's when I started driving, back then it was almost a "Smokey and the Bandit" game with radars visible from miles away and heaps of people had radar detectors, they were advertised in motor magazines and I think you could even buy them at some auto accessory stores, imagine trying to purchase an after market Laser gun jammer from Sprints or Supercheap
with technology these days the police really do hold all of the cards
Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its pretty sad there are so many bad drivers out there, there`s only one answer , put more police cars on the road and don`t book them for just speeding which seems to be all they care about , how about focusing on poor driving skills, send them to do a licence refresher course, focusing on courtousey and proper driving habits , inconvenience them heaps drag it out over a few days , they would think twice about being shitheads, , all we need is more police, hahahha like that will ever happen....... we have the victorian camera mentality.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #47
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

I've seen a Patrol car sitting behind a person in the right lane on Lonsdale highway doing 60 in the 80 zone and the left lane was empty, I thought they were going to book him but no, they just went around him in the left lane and continued on, they didn't even tell him to move over.

I once saw a m/c cop tell a guy off for not keeping left but I don't think he was booked.

They don't even have Blitzes on the keep left problem, there is no media mention at all, instead you will hear "this weekend police a doing a blitz on seatbelts"

Failing to keep left, not using indicators, and tailgating would be the top three complaints as far as bad driver habits go according to an RAA poll but I think tailgating was the first and driving too slow/not keeping left came second and not indicating was third.

The authorities have done very little to address any of these serious issues on our roads. I think road rage occurs in part because of the lack of proper law enforcement. Humans will tend to take the law into their own hands when the appropriate authorities fail to do this. It is also very difficult when each person is inside of a motor car communication is minimal at best, other than the horn or headlights how do you say "excuse I'm running late, can you let me pass thankyou"?

I think the money hungry authorities have created a "we don't care, we just want more money" environment lowering morale across the nation's people,
money oils the bureaucratic machine which in part has created these problems.

We all feel intimidated and powerless against the "big brother" speed camera/laser gun revenue grab which in spite of a couple of propaganda adds on tv has not had any positive impact on the national road toll, instead the money making those adds could have been put towards teaching average people how to control a rear wheel slide and alert people who normally drive in 50 kph zones that 100 kph is much more dangerous, bring back the BP driver tips commercials on tv, BP CAN CERTAINLY AFFORD IT and it would be good pr work for them, even better some of the revenue from speed cameras could go towards driver education adds....but not likely.

No matter what you will always get morons on the road even with a more competent policing of the road rules, lowest common denominator, a chain is only as good as it's weakest link, an idiot is an idiot no matter how much education they get.

Last edited by muso; 04-04-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #48
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

[QUOTE=Ghiadude]I drive on a major sydney (110kmh) road to work. Today i saw the following:

Z4 BMW with female passenger "oraly pleasuring" male driver at 110kmh(i am serious. good on him but theres a time and place)

Any photos/videos ? Put it on youtube

You mentioned the L plate driver in the right lane going slow, isn't it tragic to see the parents teaching bad habits to their L plate offspring, bad habits which will probably last a lifetime and be handed down like "heirlooms" to the grand kids when are old enough to drive, hopefully one will be born which will recognize the problem and break the cycle, a person who probably would not pass a basic 10 question written driving examination (let alone an actual practical driving test) teaching a young person to drive Scary stuff
Old 04-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #49
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
This situation is becoming all too common, I'd really like to a see a nation wide Police blitz on right lane hogs.
just coming back into adelaide today on the south east freeway and see a cop, lights ablaze, going the opposite way. funny thing was, he was in the right hand lane and i'm assuming he was trying to pull over the car in front of him, also travelling for no reason in the right hand lane, totally oblivious to what was going on behind him. i followed it in my rearview mirror and he hadn't got the message by the time it left my view. unbelievable. do people drive without looking in their mirrors??
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #50
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
heading up the hill, just as u straighten up opposite the golf course theres some trees close to the road. they sit the camera right next to them and the car is sitting in down behind the trees. the camera is on a tripod with a green bag over it and leaves and bits hanging off it, disguised quite well, the car hidden behind the trees isnt though
Yeah they park a Pajero 4WD behind the Bus Stop there and have the camera hidden behind the bus stop too, seen that one a few times.

Also a couple of times on weekends late at night, like 1am-ish, there will be a lone cop with a laser. He was on the down track one night and must have heard/seen my car coming, he had walked away from his parked bike onto the median strip to check my speed, as I approached him he started walking back across the road to his bike.
Quote:
Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #51
Mad Maxine

I believe that this sort of behaviour goes unchecked purely because there is NO effort to actually catch and charge drivers doing the wrong thing.

I would like to see every car installed with the equivalent of an on-dash video camera, like a black box, that is untamperable, and runs non stop as soon as you get into the vehicle and switches off when you reach your destination. At this point, the recording would be sent via satellite to some central repository for storage. If you were to see something dangerous on your trip, you could contact the repository, give your car cam details, a rough time you saw the incident occur (yes, there might be multiples!!!) and let the repository download the pertinent footage for forwarding to the police. Far fetched? Unworkable? Maybe at this time, but I will bet this sort of thing will not only be do-able in the future as police become more and more disrespected by the coming generations, and have to resort to this sort of thing to make their job easier.

Yeah yeah, dreamworld, blah blah etc. Still, I reckon it could be a bloody good idea, even if the cams were only trialled in taxis or trucks or something, vehicles which are on the road all the time and see all the stupidity and danger that some drivers choose to exhibit every day.

Getting off my soapbox now

MM

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #52
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Thats a good idea, but it would also record every time you spooled up your F6 away from the lights LOL

There are a few youtube videos of moron drivers, surely a dash mounted video camera usb drive could be sourced through Jaycar, dick smith etc, and footage given to the police, but I doubt police would act on it unless he was drag racing or weaving in and out of traffic dangerously, they'd ignore a video of one of many right lane hog morons seen every day on Lonsdale Highway and every other highway in the country (there's usually one or two in every block of traffic between traffic lights).

Instead put it on youtube if you can do so without being traced, the moron driver may be able to come back on you legally for publically broadcasting his rego plate identity, remember in democracy the law protects the offender often more than the victim.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #53
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

I took the family to greenhills adventure park (great fun nice place) and I have to say that I was more than impressed with the way all the drivers use those life saving slow vehicle turnouts, the keep left unless overtaking sign is huge, big enough to read from an aeroplane. Now how often do you see S.A. actually do something right?

Everyone accept one idiot just past the Mc Laren Vale turn off kept left unless overtaking, and traffic flowed smoothly and safely like clockwork, the co-ordination and courtesy between the motorists was impressive

Then..........I got onto the Southern Expressway.......and a black BMW sat at about 85-90 kph in the right lane (100 zone) all the way from the Mc Laren Vale/Victor turn off to the Sherriffs rd turn off where I turned off but he continued past so he would probably be using the right lane exit at Darlington.....good one champ...good to see you are planning well ahead

Also I could not believe the amount of drivers in both lanes on the Southern Express way who sat on each others bumpers at 100 kph......the distance between them would have been too close for 60 kph :
Old 05-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #54
xls3v

was in radelaide for easter weekend i saw 2 cops all the way from whyalla to adelaide on thursday night, friday i drove from noarlunga center to morphett vale and spotted 4 speed cameras....... how is that not revenue raising.

i also found lots of people along lonsdale highway driving like f-tards
xls3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post