Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should any income from speed cameras be deducted from state grants
Yes good idea, lots of road upgrades needed in WA and NT 1 11.11%
Yes but the Feds will waste it on the usual rubbish anyway 3 33.33%
No, each state deserves to keep its taxes to spend on meetings and arts grants 0 0%
No it will bankrupt the states (even more) 1 11.11%
No it will just lead to other hidden taxes 0 0%
No No NO NO burn the heretic, BLASPHEMER BLASPHEMER die you evil spawn of Satan 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The speed camera enigma

Is it revenue raising?

Do they save lives?

Here is an idea.

When the Federal Government hands out the state grants each year it deducts all revenue raised by speed cameras.

e.g. Victoria recovers $500,000,000 in "safety" cams fines, Feds deduct $500,000,000 from Victoria and uses it to build and maintain better roads that may or may not be in Victoria.

Every single state Government has stated that they do not need the money from the cameras so they will not miss it will they

Fines from actual intercepts etc will be kept of course to offset the cost of operations.

So what do you think of this idea?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

Revenue raising is ok as long as they use the money to fix the road which they don't .
Old 04-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK EX CHASER
Revenue raising is ok as long as they use the money to fix the road which they don't .
Well the idea is that it is taken from them so they have no choice.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Scott

lol, can you imagine what that notion would do to the the ALP?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
lol, can you imagine what that notion would do to the the ALP?
Option 6........
Old 04-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

No suitable poll answer.

Mine would be the federal government controls the revenue for road improvement in the state that the revenue came from. Vic, NSW and QLD have much higher population density than NT and more road to improve on, therefore they require more revenue to make tangible improvements.

Nice idea but flawed in poll answers.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Do you really believe that this thread has anywhere positive to go???
I am sure that we all have our beliefs on the goods / evils of speed enforcement.
The discussion regarding whether it is revenue raising carefully disguised as a road safety initiative has already been discussed here on AFF many many times before...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
I am sure that we all have our beliefs on the goods / evils of speed enforcement.
The discussion regarding whether it is revenue raising carefully disguised as a road safety initiative has already been discussed here on AFF many many times before...
Agreed, particularly when there is such a strong bias in the poll options. Going nowhere real fast and worth nothing more than amusement value (not much of that either).

Lets just lock it down now, considering it goes against T&C in the fact that it is political discussion.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Well the idea was to consider a methodology of forcing the revenue to be used to improve roads rather than let it be absorbed into the black holes of state treasuries.

Gecko can you tell me your better poll option please?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Gecko can you tell me your better poll option please?
I did, read my post again.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I did, read my post again.
Come on....

The WA & NT comment was just a jibe at the east have the most speed cameras.

The idea would be, for example, to used the money to make a 4 lane highway from Melbourne to Cairns via Sydney and Brisbane.

Got to be a lot safer than the current goat track.

As the state is only guaranteed the money from actual police work maybe they might do a bit more and possibly save a few lives. That has got to be a good thing.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #12
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

The WA/NT answer still influences votes from those that do not understand how your mind works (I do so I could see that, known you long enough)

Sorry mate, pointless topic, you know where it is going.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #13
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

This is going to go nowhere, fast.