Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #31
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Drifting a Magna? Is understeer drifting now?
LOL good one
Old 21-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #32
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
And again it happens. But there's no talk of a solution to the problem. Only punishments and discipline. Well what about those that die before they get a chance to be punished? What if their punishment is a best friend dead, a record for the rest of their lives and a disfigured body?

Our government and the RTA needs to work on driver education and training. That is the main cause of these problems. The uneducated(which is EVERYONE, even i'm still uneducated to a degree when it comes to controlling a car in unnatural(spins etc) conditions) are being handed the keys to cars they can barely control. Sure they've got 50km roads, turn signals, round abouts and reverse parking down pat to get their license but thats as far as their knowledge goes. They(We, yes us too) don't learn to control a vehicle at that stage. We're just along for the ride and we're supposed to learn this control on these craptastic roads of Australia where half the country can't bloody drive either?

And its not just car control. It's also got to do about them having the knowledge of where the cars limits are, what can actually happen, the shock and shunting it will give you when you hit something at 50km/hr or more. The sound and the sudden stop. Atleast people will have more pro's to add into the basket of don't drive like a moron instead of "Nah, it wouldn't happen to me".
These are all factors that Australians should have access to. We are a modern country with the technology to teach these things and instead the government goes "Spend money? Are you nuts! That's not the right way to do it! Cure is much better then prevention - It lets us pay for all our trips overseas to save the planet from Climate Change which is definately going to destroy the planet in the next 5 years!"
Off tangent yes but my point is made.
I love how the solution got posted and everyone ignores it...
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #33
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
You think the government will listen?
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #34
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
You think the government will listen?
They never will if no one else does (not that i should be a government advisor or anything. But the solution is pretty clear)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #35
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
How’s that going to work?

Do you want to start a war? Think about it for a second. A young bloke who loves his car gets it crushed, bad luck for him, you say. Then this person uses the next $500 dollars that falls into his lap to buy a firearm and take out his “rage” on the next copper he sees driving around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
What an outrageous post Full Noise.... That was a waste of time even reading it, it was so far from the mark.
You are right Fev it is bit alarmist! But seriously, this morning on sunrise they had a recap of the 19 yo drunk driver 5 dead incident and while they were at it they touched on "hoon" driving as well. They showed CCT from a Maccas car in or around Thomastown??? I think, of a white VS Commodore clearly raming the side of a parked Police car as they left. They actually scouted the situation first!

No respect. You do not know what an individual is capable of when they are pushed do you.

Also I think crushing a "hoons" car will only effect people like me who already understand their obligations anyway. They will not effect the harden hoon. They will just trash $1000 VN Commodores or EA Falcons instead.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #36
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Drifting in a magna =\

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #37
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Fev i agree 100%

I never will agree with crushing of cars,not when the penalty for 1 bloke is a $300 corona and for me a 30,000+ Lexus, or the bloke with a 600,000K lambo.

its the equivalent of crushing your house because you have a pill press inside? yes you did a crime in the house but why crush the house? its don't nothing.

it is a bandaid reaction to a problem that is smashed about by media to sell more papers, HOONING is now speeding, excessive noise and smoke, appearing to accelerate quickly 'time trialing' they call it in qld amongst alot of other nit picky things, all of which have the lowest % of carnage to our road toll, and compared to inattention it hardly even registers, so tell me, why focus so much on it? or is it just because its half easy to police and the majority of people can just keep going on in their daily lives failing to indicate, merging incorrectly and being genuinely inattentive killing more people in 1 state than hooning does in all of them, but that's OK... because someone isn't doing a skid.

priorities and focus is all wrong.

if your busted for hooning/excessive speed, then you go through a program to educate you while your licance less, visit the morgue, defensive driver training and visit the ICU, by not educating people all your going to do is have alot of angry people out there with government/police and alot more people doing runners, becasue trust me, if I knew this time was going to be a crushing of the car then I wouldnt be stopping, not when at this point in time the consequence happens before your court hearing, at present you get your car taken at the point of interception and that is right wrong or otherwise... ITS the ONLY law i know of where the punishment comes before a conviction? WTF. take the car after the conviction for the penalty time allocated by the court if you want to make it a JUST law not the BS we have currently.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...

Last edited by UNR8D; 21-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #38
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Drifting in a magna =\
She most likely thought that the way Mum drove, after an evening on the"goon", was called drifting.................
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #39
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
Maybe these "hoons" should do community service as well, in an emergency room, assisting doctors and nurses to treat car crash victims.
No thanks. Their total lack of sense would make it very dangerous.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #40
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

My favourite part is of the whole news article is the last line...

Quote:
The woman said she would have to catch a bus in future because the car was uninsured.
Also, drifting the Magna would require a bit of work... My dad used to have one of those and I remember taking it for a spin on my P's... Wasn't much fun...

The only way I could ever get that drifting was in the Maccas car park...
Get 2 x Food Trays, under the back wheels...
Handbrake on (locking the rears)...
And then you have full tail-whipping drift power...

Those days are gone though...
Old 21-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #41
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
This is part of the problem. Who decides what a ‘hoon fashion’ is?
The legislation doesn’t differentiate between hoon type offences.
I'd say that there'd be minimums such as burnouts, street racing, donuts, excessive speeding; that kind of thing.
A court could decide it if needs be.
Whatsmore, there are serial offenders and cars well known to police that constantly are seen doing the aforementioned sort of thing, so it would be a bit of a no brainer.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #42
SKITZD

I really don't have anything to say in regards to this but obviously she thought she was invincible after reading about the Mill Park acco days ago.
SKITZD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #43
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems to me that the originating factor in this thread is that a seventeen year old girl getting drunk, stealing her mothers vehicle and then getting caught by the police.

Responsibility for a person's poor decison making abilities cannot in my view be just thrown onto the Government's or onto Police on this occasion.

The lack of parental supervision and discipline is in my view the sole cause of this girl's actions.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #44
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why is it that people think the only way to teach children consequences is to belt them, there is alternatives allow me to elaborate:

child misbehaves in some fashion - lets say spills a drink on the lounge, you can belt said child (consequence) or you can give child only water to drink for the rest of the day as they can't be trusted with drinks? option #2 nobody hits anybody which teaches them that violence doesn't solve problems and also that the action of spilling the drink bears consequence.

Belting children teaches them to lash out and attack those that challenge them. hm escalating teen violence under the influence who would have thought..

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #45
LTDHO
The one and only

Those who have been belted have learned.
Those given water will live on water and keep spilling.
Why? No consequence. Not responsibility. No fear.
Then they drive as they please and kill others.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #46
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev

Our government and the RTA needs to work on driver education and training. That is the main cause of these problems. The uneducated(which is EVERYONE, even i'm still uneducated to a degree when it comes to controlling a car in unnatural(spins etc) conditions) are being handed the keys to cars they can barely control. Sure they've got 50km roads, turn signals, round abouts and reverse parking down pat to get their license but thats as far as their knowledge goes. They(We, yes us too) don't learn to control a vehicle at that stage. We're just along for the ride and we're supposed to learn this control on these craptastic roads of Australia where half the country can't bloody drive either?
This has a lot to do with the problem, where the governments make all the changes in learner driving requirements (ie 120hours before testing). But they don't have any input as to how the person is actually taught to drive. I have seen kids taught to drive by parents that I wouldn't even get into a car with. Not hard to see where they get their lack of driving skills from.

I myself think that if the government wants to get serious about road safety they have to actually put something into the education of the kids.

Not just when they are at the age to learn to drive but when they are at school. I know when I was at school ( I know, a long time ago) we had a driver education program. The car was donated by a local business and maintained by the by a local service station. All students that were at the age of getting a learners permit went through the program. It was a good tool for teaching you what you could expect once you got your licence and got out on the road by yourself. There was a lot more to it than jumping in with mum or dad and diving to the shops or down the highway on holidays, as happens now. Just to get the hours needed.

It should they should be made to go through the program that offenders are made to do. Where they are shown footage from accidents and the possible consequences of your actions if you decide to drive like a moron and have an accident. Not only to yourself but to other people and their families.

But alas the government will not see fit to do something like this as it will cost them money and they have not yet woken up to the fact that no matter how hard you want to punish people, there are always going to be the ones that continue to do it. But maybe with some proper education they MAY just wake up and think before they do.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #47
braddo

being a spray painter i have at times when my 2 kids were 16 or 17 taken them to work to show them what speed and drink driving can do and showed them the insides of the cars as well ,,not harsh i dont think,my son told me he remembers some of the cars ,,
braddo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #48
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8

Not just when they are at the age to learn to drive but when they are at school. I know when I was at school ( I know, a long time ago) we had a driver education program. The car was donated by a local business and maintained by the by a local service station. All students that were at the age of getting a learners permit went through the program. It was a good tool for teaching you what you could expect once you got your licence and got out on the road by yourself. There was a lot more to it than jumping in with mum or dad and diving to the shops or down the highway on holidays, as happens now. Just to get the hours needed.
Wasn't all that uncommon, my Dad had the same thing. Couple of cars were donated to the school from a dealership and were used as part of the driver education program.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #49
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The information that has been put and discussed is relevant, but also consider that not every teenager who get's behind the wheel immediately turns into a speeeding, drunken hoon moron.

Unfortunately, a small minority become a statistic that then becomes a news item.

Media will tend to beat up on every unfortunate news event and milk the matter infinitumm - no media mention of the number of adult DUI's being arrested and placed on the front page making headlines last night, only a news item that links a previous story.

Politics then become involved and the whole thing then feeds upon itself.
Old 21-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #50
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
The information that has been put and discussed is relevant, but also consider that not every teenager who get's behind the wheel immediately turns into a speeeding, drunken hoon moron.

Unfortunately, a small minority become a statistic that then becomes a news item.

Media will tend to beat up on every unfortunate news event and milk the matter infinitumm - no media mention of the number of adult DUI's being arrested and placed on the front page making headlines last night, only a news item that links a previous story.

Politics then become involved and the whole thing then feeds upon itself.
If you look at the statistics of frequency V age bracket i think the reporting is about par with the frequency rate, i bet my left 1 the news will be all over the 47 yo caught drink driving from the funeral today.... and so it should.

Old 21-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #51
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If you look at the statistics of frequency V age bracket i think the reporting is about par with the frequency rate, i bet my left 1 the news will be all over the 47 yo caught drink driving from the funeral today.... and so it should.
I agree,as my post stated, the media will then link this directly with the main story - Jeez, I havn't even heard of this news as yet, who in their right mind would turn up to the funeral, with I assume a large media presence and then get caught DUI. :

Is the only way to stop this irresponsible behaviour fitting of alcometers to every vehicle ?
Old 21-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #52
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh Colac............
After spending 10 weeks working there and seeing the best & worst of the local population, it's no different to all the other country towns i've worked at. (they probably live in the area of town known as "The Bronx")
No fear, respect or responsibility is what it amounts to.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #53
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8

How is that a solution maybe when people go for there license they should do it drunk so there quailified drunk drivers. Because im pretty sure a seventeen year old would be well aware that you should not drink and drive .
Personally i think the strap would be much more a effective a few years earlier when she done something else she was not supposed to do , it would make her think twice before she grabbed those keys .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #54
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
why is it that people think the only way to teach children consequences is to belt them, there is alternatives allow me to elaborate:

child misbehaves in some fashion - lets say spills a drink on the lounge, you can belt said child (consequence) or you can give child only water to drink for the rest of the day as they can't be trusted with drinks? option #2 nobody hits anybody which teaches them that violence doesn't solve problems and also that the action of spilling the drink bears consequence.

Belting children teaches them to lash out and attack those that challenge them. hm escalating teen violence under the influence who would have thought..

You forgot the bit when the child screams , throws a fit a cries for the next 3 hours because you wont give it the juice it wants .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #55
balthazarr

I'm likely in a tiny minority here, but I can't believe anyone can condone the crushing/selling/confiscating of anyone's car by the state - hoon or otherwise.

By analogy, it's like the state taking your home because you refuse to mow the lawn. Why don't they crush/sell the unroadworthy cars? They're deathtraps waiting to happen. But, of course, this won't get the 30 second soundbite that the police and pollies need to make Joe and Jane Public think they're doing something.

There are already laws in place to deal with dangerous/reckless driving, including jail time for the severest cases.

It will simply encourage hooning in crappy bombs that, of any car on the road, are likely least able to handle and recover if something goes wrong. If their $300 s*box gets crushed... meh, it was good while it lasted, right?
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #56
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
bring back the strap
Great idea!!, seems like the only way to get the message across to some of these twits is to punish them properly!
Old 21-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #57
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
why would crushing the mothers car work????
How about the lambo owner where the mechanic got hit for hooning - is it really justifiable to destroy $600,000 just to teach him a lesson? Or how about the journalist busted for 230km/h in the ferrari he was testing? How can crushing someone elses vehicle teach anyone anything????
Obviously you can't read or completly missed my point. I said HOONS cars, not those that have been driven by a hoon and belong to someone else.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #58
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
What an outrageous post Full Noise.... That was a waste of time even reading it, it was so far from the mark.
I completely agree. I want my 10 seconds back after reading that one.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #59
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
I completely agree. I want my 10 seconds back after reading that one.
Wow, you can read? Well good for you.
Well read this, sweetheart. If you don’t understand it, ask a grown up to explain it for you.

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/wps/wc...-+Hoon+Driving
Quote:
In July 2006, the Victorian Government introduced new road safety laws targeting hoon drivers. Hoon drivers are drivers whose behaviour poses a significant road safety risk.
These laws enables Victoria Police to impound, immobilise or forfeit a vehicle for a number of hoon-related offences including:
involvement in a speed trial
exhibiting noise or smoke
driving as a disqualified driver or repeat offender
excessive speeding.
For further information about hoon laws and offences, please visit the Victoria Police website.
If you are caught hoon driving
First time hoon offenders can have their vehicle impounded or immobilised for 48 hours.
Second time offenders risk having their vehicle impounded for three months.
Third time offenders may lose their vehicle forever.
Hoon drivers do not have to own their own vehicle to be at risk. A vehicle can be impounded or immobilised regardless of whether the driver is the registered owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Obviously you can't read or completly missed my point. I said HOONS cars, not those that have been driven by a hoon and belong to someone else.
So, how can a vehicle that has not been used to commit an offence be impounded?

Obviously you’re stupider than I thought.
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #60
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
So, how can a vehicle that has not been used to commit an offence be impounded?
Maybe if the "hoon" driver knows that his car will be impounded, not the one he is driving, it may scare some sence into him?

It's not the car who is doing something illegal it's the driver, so if it was implemented that the hoons own personal car would be impounded, even if he was driving someone elses, it may make him/her think twice? But ofcourse for this to work the hoon would actually have to own a car.

Wait, what am I saying.. hoons don't think!!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post