Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation BMW To Build New Mini Moke !!!

Radical teaser concept could pave the way for a 21st-century Mini Moke perfect for Australian lifestyles.

Memories of the door-less Mini Moke will be revived at January’s Detroit motor show with this radical Mini concept.

This Beachcomber show car mimics the open-body style of the Moke, as well as the Jeep Wrangler, and is the latest precursor to what will become the Mini brand’s most dramatic variant under BMW ownership – a compact 4WD that will go on sale in late 2010.

Unlike the front-drive Moke that was even built in Australia from the late ’60s until 1982, the Beachcomber uses the all-wheel-drive system that will be employed by the Mini soft-roader expected to be called Countryman or Crossman.

The Beachcomber’s grille design also makes a nod to the Moke, while the tough off-road look is aided by an elevated ride height and 17-inch wheels wrapped in chunky off-road rubber and housed in bulky wheel-arches.

There’s underbody protection and also a lockable spare-wheel casing at the rear, too - though it’s for storing beach items such as towels or flip flops rather than a spare tyre because the Beachcomber’s tyres are run-flats.

The cabin design will be familiar to owners of current Minis, though gains bespoke off-road instruments including compass and tilt-and-pitch gauge.

Four red sports seats are embroidered with logos representing sports such as swimming and cycling, and dividing them is an accessories rail – running from the dash to the rear luggage area – onto which passengers can attach items such as mobiles or sunglass holders.

The rear seats feature adjustable backrests and can be folded flat to accommodate sporty lifestyle equipment such as mountain bikes.

Mini says the Beachcomber – at four metres, a metre longer than the original Moke – can also fit surfboards by attaching them to the vehicle’s lateral roo support beam (which incorporates the word ‘Mini’).

When the elements turn bad, the vehicle (again like the Moke) can be enclosed using easy-to-fit lightweight plastic covers and a soft-fabric roof to protect occupants.

BMW could put the Moke-inspired Beachcomber into production as a spin-off variant of the Mini soft-roader if there’s a sufficiently positive public reaction to the concept.

Old 18-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would the car be able to pass side impact tests in australia without the doors?
Old 18-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I was enjoying that read and the whole concept until I came to the pic. YUK :

That's not a new age Moke it's a hideous new age Mini with no doors :
Old 18-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sort of loses the plot of the original moke i think, low buk simple fun machine
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Some iconic cars shouldn't be redone, the moke is one of them. Saftey laws and design rules could never get back the simplistic design it once was. For that reason I say leave this one alone.
Old 18-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I was enjoying that read and the whole concept until I came to the pic. YUK :

That's not a new age Moke it's a hideous new age Mini with no doors :

Good Point, it's kinda a mini on steroids wearing a wife beater!!(hence no doors)

You would think it needs doors to pass any type of safety!

My Tech teacher back in highschool loved the mini, we got to pull apart mini engines during Automotive classes, and he owns a few and a moke that he regulary drove to school!

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrk.

I agree with earlier poster, side impact MUST be substantially compromised. Surely beyond compliance?

EDIT

looking at it again, it would appear to have airbags in the seats...

Gulp.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a ****...
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously the minis of yesteryear succeeded because they were simple and cheap and things like safety standards were more lenient. The mini now is a premium hatch and something like a new version of the Moke won't come cheap enough to warrant the exclusion of doors and the negatives associated with it. Make a more rugged Mini sure - but I think leaving off doors will result in most people giving it a wide berth.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Ford should try for a similar market as the moke by putting this into production with removable doors. As seen at the 2007 FPV Family Day

Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

i kinda dig it, but yeah will never go into production at least in that guise.
Old 19-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #12
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I dig the idea, not the presentation. As for that moke(joke?) no way. Gross
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LOUDXFUTE
would the car be able to pass side impact tests in australia without the doors?
Same as the old Moke. You see a side impact coming you just hold your hand out.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post