Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #121
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang on. Only 0.6L (AS2877 ave) better per hundred k than a much torquier, quicker ford?

Even at a high 1.50 a litre, that is only 90cents more per hundred k.

At 20,000km per year that is only $180 more per year (or $3.60 per week).

Add Me (102kg) , the wife (51kg) , two kids (30kg combined) a double stroller (about a million kilos)and endless supplies of kids stuff and I reckon the 3.0 would have to work that much harder to keep up that the six speed falc would be more economical.

My old 351 xy (stocko 2v) ute used to tow our old bonwood caravan more economically than the wife's 250 2v xy fairmont. The smaller six had to be worked so much harder.

Maybe this isn't relevant but, i thought it might be of interest
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #122
z80
Banned

3.0L SIDI V6 (LF1)
190kw @ 6700rpm
290nm @ 2900rpm

6700 RPM......it will feel like an imminent explosion.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #123
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
3.0L SIDI V6 (LF1)
190kw @ 6700rpm
290nm @ 2900rpm

6700 RPM......it will feel like an imminent explosion.

Buick anchor, Ecotec Anchor or alloytec anchor @ 3500 rpm it feels like an imminent explosion.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #124
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
wow! The 3.0 will be at least as confidence inspiring as the current 3.6 (if not less so). Nice to know a 4.1 xc will out torque and out tow a new commodore.

Max power at 6700rpm. Should be pretty economical to rev it that high. Wonder if it will sound any better than today's 3.6
If it can sound better than a punch in the face then it will be fine
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #125
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Burela's response on Commodore fuel consumption claims

Appologies if this was posted elsewhere. Burela's at it again, get 'em Tiger:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoint
"There are many different ways for us to go out there and demonstrate and improve our fuel economy, and we're working on a number of other initiatives.

"If anyone -- particularly my colleagues at Holden -- think we're done with where we are, then they've sadly miscalculated.

"When I hear statements like 'we will out-engineer our competitors', all that does is just brings a huge level of delight to us, because I know what we're working on."
http://carpoint.com.au/news/2009/lar...ies-foul-16190
Old 13-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #126
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

In the states the Seedy 3.6 is managing marginally better fuel consumption figures than it's Seedy little brother, the 3 litre. Is anyone surprised? :
Old 13-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #127
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

lol @ the people comparing a 3L to 4L for power/torque.. that's just silly.

However, having to rev so high to hit max power is gonna suck pretty badly. Should be interesting to drive one of these I reckon.
Old 13-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #128
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
In the states the Seedy 3.6 is managing marginally better fuel consumption figures than it's Seedy little brother, the 3 litre. Is anyone surprised? :
Yeah i was reading up some stuff recently from the states and they (journos, GM enthusiasts etc.) are bagging the 3.0 something chronic. One guy in a forum made the point that it is no faster than the 2.4 DI engine they have and no more efficient then the 3.6 anyway. Not turning out too great for them but i suppose all will be revieled in time RE this engine in the VE.

Funny because one theory about the alloytec (which i believed) was that smaller sizes (2.8-3.2) was the best design size for the engine. Certainly NA. Unfortunately the 3.0 DI doesn't seem to work....maybe DI is more suited to larger sizes. Or maybe its just a lemon LOL!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #129
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

3 litre is no good cos it's too small for this size car.
Old 13-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #130
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPWR
lol @ the people comparing a 3L to 4L for power/torque.. that's just silly.

However, having to rev so high to hit max power is gonna suck pretty badly. Should be interesting to drive one of these I reckon.

Under what conditions would the engine have to "rev so high"? Normal driving in most cars only requires part throttle. In the 6.0 that's about 6mm pedal for 100kph, but I doubt the 4.0 nor the 3.0 would require much more.

If it all important to have the car that dances off the line and holeshots, then sure the 4.0 is probably the ticket, but toll booths are becoming less and less common with free flowing in vogue.

Don't like the six myself, having hired a Calais for a few weeks, but it performed OK compared to other brands I've hired, including the Falcon.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #131
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Well said wally.
Old 13-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #132
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been driving my nans BFIII wagon recently and stepped into my mums EL wagon briefly last night. It's amazing how easy it is to feel the difference between 383Nm @ 2500rpm and 357Nm @ 3000rpm, even though the BA is about 70kg heavier. Gearbox, diff and most other stuff is the same so it's a fair comparison. The EL just feels gutless compared to the BF and I found myself using the go pedal alot more in the EL to get any semblance of what I'd adopted as "reasonable" acceleration. Nothing wrong with the EL I might ad- runs perfectly. Just the amazing torque spread of the B series engine craps all over it.

I can't imagine how poor to drive this 3L is going to feel with numbers like 290Nm coming out of it, even if that is at 2900rpm. The bulk of the VE certainly won't be doing it any favours either. Poor Form.

Last edited by madmelon; 13-08-2009 at 02:33 PM.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #133
Carby

Torque has it's place but horsepower still rules!

190 kw attached to a six speed auto as standard should go very nicely. If BMW can put 2.5 l 160 kw 250 nm engine in their 5 series I can't see why the Holden will be such a slug so long as they gear it correctly.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #134
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Look i gotta say when it comes down to it if you are driving a car that weighs 1600 + kilos & all you have is 290nm @ 2900 rpm then you are working it to just get to 60+ kph. Now I know that a 85 xf ute auto is no powerhouse & will be blown off at the lights by even the slightest vehicle that claims some sort of performance, But i got to say that if i was at the lights with a ve commodore (v8 excluded) I have found that I have always had a very good chance of getting to the two into one lane before them and have found that they ARE trying to get there before me as it must be a pretty good slap in the face to anyone that is driving one.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #135
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Torque has it's place but horsepower still rules!

190 kw attached to a six speed auto as standard should go very nicely. If BMW can put 2.5 l 160 kw 250 nm engine in their 5 series I can't see why the Holden will be such a slug so long as they gear it correctly.
Problem with that comparison is that a 525i weighs 200kg or so less than a Commodore Omega, much less anything higher spec. Even with the weight advantage, it's hard pressed besting 8 seconds for the 0-100 sprint.

It's also interesting to see that the 530i makes 200kw, 315Nm WITHOUT direct injection and at lower engine revs. It's fuel economy figures match the 3L Holden claims, though the Holden is 150kg heavier than that.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #136
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
Problem with that comparison is that a 525i weighs 200kg or so less than a Commodore Omega, much less anything higher spec. Even with the weight advantage, it's hard pressed besting 8 seconds for the 0-100 sprint.

It's also interesting to see that the 530i makes 200kw, 315Nm WITHOUT direct injection and at lower engine revs. It's fuel economy figures match the 3L Holden claims, though the Holden is 150kg heavier than that.
Which provides further proof that something is not right with alloytec engines when compared to most other modern competitors. I would assume holden tuned the 3.0 drivetrain to save some fuel, which is fine, but you can see that is has cost them quite a bit based on raw numbers. Particularly the torque value, which while low down (for driveability improvements) is very average for a 'high tech' DI engine. Very average indeed.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 13-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #137
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yes, which probably means nothing more than they de-stroked the 3.0 rather than de-bored it. remember kids, as a rough general rule, bore = hp, stroke = torque. one of the reasons the 4.0 is a torque monster is the long stroke. everone loves a nice long stroke.
Old 14-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #138
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
. Even with the weight advantage, it's hard pressed besting 8 seconds for the 0-100 sprint.
it wasn't all that long ago that mid 9 sec was acceptable for the average family car for 0-100. i think we can all get a bit carried away with these sort of figures. sure, enthusiasts may appreciate a bit extra poke from the garden variety models but the average punter who drops the kids to school, does the shopping, puts around the inner city... or whatever, won't care 2 hoots about the 0-100 times. even speaking for myself, i could count on one hand the amount of times i've nailed the throttle and held it there till i've reached 100 in the family wagon.

i also find it amusing that ford announce they will drop a 4 cyl in the falcon (albeit with not bad figures) and every one on here cheers and yet when holden decrease the size of their engines or mention 4 cyl, they are a laughing stock and 'starfire' references are made. some need to take a big step back and look at the big picture through both eyes.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #139
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i also find it amusing that ford announce they will drop a 4 cyl in the falcon (albeit with not bad figures) and every one on here cheers and yet when holden decrease the size of their engines or mention 4 cyl, they are a laughing stock and 'starfire' references are made. some need to take a big step back and look at the big picture through both eyes.

You will find people aren't laughing at the drop in size.. but the fact the 3.0 has no torque.... the T4 has more torque and spread across the entire rev range..
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #140
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
From another thread....

Road_Warrior

Bumping this thread

A moot discussion topic now that Holden's V6 engine plans are public knowledge, with the following figures:

Omega / Berlina
3.0L SIDI V6 (LF1)
190 @ 6700
290 @ 2900
91 RON
6L50E 6sp Auto
9.3L/100

SV6/Calais/Statesmen/Caprice
3.6L SIDI V6 (LLT)
VE, WM MY10
210 @ 6400
350 @ 2900
91 RON
6L50E 6sp Auto
10.1 - 10.3L/100

So...back to the original question...where does this leave the I6?
i dont know how legit those figures will be when the diesel engines running ULP
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #141
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
i dont know how legit those figures will be when the diesel engines running ULP
Diesel ?

Am I missing something here ?

They are Direct Injection ULP NOT Diesel.............
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #142
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
You will find people aren't laughing at the drop in size.. but the fact the 3.0 has no torque....
i still stand by my statement that the average joe won't notice. this engine will run side by side with the 3.6. those that want a bit more urge will tick that box. those that think they are buying a new more economical commodore, will tick the 3.0 box, and then drive around thinking they are right up there with prius drivers because the holden guy told them its more economical than many 4cyl cars.
Old 14-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #143
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
they then mention they have just completed that in real life and achieved... wait for it... 7.5L/100km for the trip! then they commented how that was better than a lot of 4cyl cars.
I went on a trip in my XR5 Mondeo. I achieved 7.4/100 which I thought is not bad for a 2.5litre Turbo.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #144
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
You will find people aren't laughing at the drop in size.. but the fact the 3.0 has no torque.... the T4 has more torque and spread across the entire rev range..
Indeed, that is the point. Knowing full well the 'torque issues' (which affect driveabiliy/response moreso than being slower to 100km/h) of the alloytec i was concerned this would happen the moment the rumoured 3.0 size was being discussed. The DI 3.6 was inevitable, its the only way Holden could be competitive with Ford/Toyota into the future. But instead of using a ecotuned DI 3.6 to save some fuel, for whatever reason (probably because they have already ecotuned it just to get to 9.9) Holden went for the 3.0. It generates some fuel savings in the ADR test but depending on where you drive it, i doubt it will burn much less than the 3.6 or a falcon for that matter.

Its the inferiority of the 3.0 IN THIS APPLICATION that has alot of Ford fans throwing mud, not the fact its smaller. As pointed out by some, its possible that the I4T of FOrd might not beat the I6 by much either depending on how you drive etc. BUT, it will have more than adequate performance (certainly no slower than a EF-AU falcon and they can beat current commodores).

The experiences of the GM fans in teh states seem to reinforce the problem this 3.0 has. No pulling power and as such it never really gets to settle down...constant reving is both bad for driveability and bad for fuel burn.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 14-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #145
Mr Hardware

Swordsman88 is on the money. Listen to him, he tells the truth.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #146
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

don't know if the latest discussion has covered the latest reviews of the SIDI range of commodores, but from all reports, these new engines are getting allot of praise.

Real world economy is inline and better than the ADR quoted figures at no detriment to performance, drivability etc.

Looks like Holden are on a winner if you're to believe the media.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #147
Wally
XP Coupe

My guess is there won't be a lot of bother with the new engines. As it stands Joe Average doesn't make a song and dance about his Holden or Ford six. Enthusiast forums might carry on about this and that, but that's small potatoes in the scheme of things.

Economy is back in vogue and Holden have positioned themselves nicely. The VE skin is still fashionable and risking a bollocking, the interior is comfortable and pleasant enough.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #148
prydey
Rob

hopefully it translates to money for the company! as much as we bag them, we all know they need it. maybe then some of the guys who are only getting work every other week out at the factory might get some of their shifts reinstated. not a good time to have your weekly income halved.

i'm not a fan of the ve. i think its ugly, but the company's situation is not good and needs to improve.