Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #31
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.caradvice.com.au/33544/gr...-in-australia/
But seriously theres a BIT of good feedback about these here...

Or, would this look specy next to the Z?
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #32
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

we have a hilux at work that i drive quite often, i havent driven the other new era 4x4s in its class but the hilux hasnt impressed me much.

the engine goes well - plenty of power, but with just 50 odd thousand KMs on the clock it has developed a nasty engine rattle that lasts for about 40km after a cold start. its also very revy and could use a bit more low rev touque if you need to go bush or drive slow.

the ABS brakes are horrible - lots of shudder through the pedal as the ABS works. and the brakes feel pretty ordinary apart from that (certainly not matched up to the engines power)

the original tyres were a waste of rubber
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250

Last edited by dave351cid; 06-09-2009 at 01:46 AM.
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #33
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ok, my brother owns a new Hilux dual cab turbo diesel auto.

I have driven it many times, long and short trips, towing, etc etc etc.

From what I can gather, it is an excellent package. Drives beautifully, has a very comfortable cabin for front and back passengers. The back seat seems to be the best compared to others we looked at while buying.

It tows effortlessly! Did a 500km round trip to get a car, going there and back I didnt't get it over 10l/100km on the freeway, and this was towing a car trailer and car.

My sister and mum took it to Bris, and almost got the whole way from Sydney on a single tank. They are not tooo heavy either, actually around the same as a falcon I think?

It pulled like a steam engine, towing the car up Victoria pass in the Blue Mountains without raising a sweat. I was truly amazed at how much torque you got for minimal throttle.

The engine seems less stressed, lower kw for the 3.0l compared to the 2.5l in the Triton??

So there is my write up.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #34
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The D-Max and Colorado share the same basic body circa 2003, they are generation behind the rest as far as cabin room goes.

The D-Max is diesel only, the Colorado can be had with the commodore V6.
D-Max/Colorado/Rodeo is near on the same size as the D40 Navara, the cab chassis version even comes with an extra long wheel base of 3200mm, which is 200mm or so longer than the rest of this segment. Ranger/BT-50 are a generation behind in size (and front suspension). Triton & Hilux aren't that much bigger than the Ranger in my opinion (I've driven them all).

I bought a Ranger XLT for a few reasons, the engine & manual gearbox were by far the best (BT-50 same). I liked the looks & I liked the Blue Oval Badge on the front & back. I also got a brilliant deal through the local Ford Dealer.

Triton will be coming out soon with a new 2.5L TDI engine that blows the competition out of the water in the power & torque war. Check a few car websites like Caradvice etc.

Last edited by aquahead2001; 06-09-2009 at 10:33 AM.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #35
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
It tows effortlessly! Did a 500km round trip to get a car, going there and back I didnt't get it over 10l/100km on the freeway, and this was towing a car trailer and car.
Thats a big difference to the V6 petrol, I towed a car from Sydney to heathcote and while it towed easily it barely got 300km out of a tank..this was the 2wd dual cab sr5, the 4wd would do even worse economy I would imagine.
Maybe the diesel is that much less thirsty, but it would want to be for the price...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #36
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
D-Max/Colorado/Rodeo is near on the same size as the D40 Navara, the cab chassis version even comes with an extra long wheel base of 3200mm, which is 200mm or so longer than the rest of this segment. Ranger/BT-50 are a generation behind in size (and front suspension). Triton & Hilux aren't that much bigger than the Ranger in my opinion (I've driven them all).

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ID=62980&vf=18

Quote:
The Mazda, Isuzu and Holden ‘old-generation’ utes are joined by the more ‘new age’ versions of the Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi Triton and the segment-conquering Toyota HiLux.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #37
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Ok, my brother owns a new Hilux dual cab turbo diesel auto.

I have driven it many times, long and short trips, towing, etc etc etc.

Unless the car being towed was a matchbox car you are dreaming, less than .6 of a litre more than the claimed factory figures empty.........

Quote:

The engine seems less stressed, lower kw for the 3.0l compared to the 2.5l in the Triton??

So there is my write up.
The Mitsubishi engineers obviously don't think so, most likley due to the Triton having a 3.2L engine.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #38
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd take the navara. A few mates have them and they've taken a lot of abuse with no real issues. Been on a few long trips in them too and they were comfortable enough for what they are.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #39
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your going to be driving the hilux for long periods at a time it has shocking seats. My *** and lower back were sore after driving from brisbane to cruiser park.
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #40
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1tzy
If your going to be driving the hilux for long periods at a time it has shocking seats. My *** and lower back were sore after driving from brisbane to cruiser park.

yeah a mate of mine says the exact same thing.. i must admit, they are pretty hard
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
yetchh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #41
Matty4
Banana

Don't know why no-one has considered one of these
http://greatwallmotors.com.au/defaul...ticle&ID=21560
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #42
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

My mate has a New D40 Navara and its a great car.. The only real thing i can fault with it is that its a bit sluggish, but once its going its good. Hes had a few dramas with it but nothing any of us havent seen with Fords, just small niggles.

I have some clients that have a fleet of 4wd utes and from what the tell me it really comes down to personal preference, some of the boys like Toyota, some like Nissan, theres really no winner out of the two...

If i was going to buy one id probably go the V6 Hilux SR5, ive driven a few of them and they are more car like then the others, thats my opinion.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #43
deanp100

I have the latest Hilux and it now has 70 000 on it. I use it as work truck and am in it all day. I does a lot of city and highway driving and I couldn't be happier. I did lots of research comparing it to the Navara which was my only other consideration. I often think people are just a little to precious when doing these reviews. I find this vehicle faultless. I don't get a sore back driving it. I haven't noticed that offroad suspension travel could be better. I don't tow a massive trailer so that isn't an issue. It drives beautifully. It isn't a sports car but the diesel pulls nicely through the revs and the auto may be a 4 speed but the last ratios are all the same as the competitors and I have never felt wanting for another gear. It has very long highway legs and it is nice cruising as 1500 rpm at 100 ks. I have never noticed a height issue and it does feel solid, safe and ultra reliable. I love the thing. A good friend of mine has the navara for about the same amount of time, again as a working truck and he loves his. We both agree that we had tyres from the factory. MY Bridgestone HT duellers are now gone and the truck is a lot quiter around corners. But overall it is a great truck. I wouldnlt cry either if I was "stuck" with a navara. I had to wait 3 months for hilux delivery which is a testament to popularity and I just like the look of the thing. Throw a Caddy Canopy on the back and it looks quite hot.
deanp100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #44
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What accessories (if any) do you need/want? Make sure you check whats available for what you want to use the 4wd for. Bt50 is the biggest selling in the range you have chosen.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #45
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Unless the car being towed was a matchbox car you are dreaming, less than .6 of a litre more than the claimed factory figures empty.........
I was towing a Festiva. And if I recall I was awake. I filled it up at the servo where I Hired the trailer, did the tow, then filled up the tank again at the same servo when I returned the trailer... But you obviously know better because you were there.

I drive with a very light foot, and often better factory consumption claims.

Quote:
The Mitsubishi engineers obviously don't think so, most likley due to the Triton having a 3.2L engine.
Well there you go, there are 2 turbo Diesel engines for the Triton. Learn something new every day.... :
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #46
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you buy a navara make sure you sell it before the warranty runs out. They're pricey little buggers to fix.

I just spent quite a bit of time driving the crop in single cab form. Looked at

Hilux - Over priced but seem to hold their own in resale. Most agricultural out of the bunch to drive. Toyota genuine parts come in gold plated boxes with diamond encrusted lids, dont break anything!

Navara D40 - Very unimpressive to drive after all the hype. A diesel that you need to drive like a petrol. My falcon pulls away harder from idle that a D40. Found myself constantly having to make sure i had the revs in the sweet spot or it just went no where, It's like someone put a series 60 detroit in a car. Cab was brilliant, load restraint system in the back best by far, not bad on the road. But, mate is a nissan mechanic and said it's 1 car to avoid like the plague if i plan on keeping it beyond 3 years or 100,000km. They're proving to be quite the lemon beyond 100,000km. Injectors very common, about 2k a pop. Engine durability isn't much better than a 3.0L patrol, and spanish build quality issues very evident.

BT 50 - Was very impressive. They are a torque monster. Pull like a train from idle, brilliant economy, ride not too bad, and for the price saving you can throw a good set of rubber, snorkle, bull bar, lights, tint, and suspension tweak and still be around the same bucks as a standard navara.

Ranger - Over priced BT50 when i was looking. Much the same but 4k dearer between the dealers i compared.

Dmax - was a great drive. My oldies moved to thailand and have a current Dmax and BT 50. Dmax is the tractor out of the 2. If i had to choose between which 1 i spent my time driving i was always in the BT50. In stock standard form the Dmax isn't quite as cheaply finished as the BT. The colorado is an uglier Dmax with a bigger price tag.

When it came time to hand over the cash i still couldn't go past the hilux. And after being screwed around over and over by the toyota dealer i told him to shove it and bought another xr6 ute.

I pity anyone stuck with a common fail diesel when something goes wrong. I'll stick with the devil i know for now.

Last edited by schmidty; 06-09-2009 at 11:15 PM.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #47
GREGXR8
SHOCKWAVE MK11 BA XR8

Mate just bought a d40 Navara. He loves it, he had a mates diesel hilux for a week and did'nt like the handling or fuel economy. travels to and from work over the Black Spur and says the Navara is better on fuel and handling. Split rear seat is a great idea, fridge fits perfectly behind driver. Hope that helps.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #48
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
I was towing a Festiva. And if I recall I was awake. I filled it up at the servo where I Hired the trailer, did the tow, then filled up the tank again at the same servo when I returned the trailer... But you obviously know better because you were there.

I drive with a very light foot, and often better factory consumption claims.
I don't have to be anywhere to know a certain mass takes a certain amount of energy to move it.
I drive a similar car with one ton of trailer load every day and i know the difference a load makes.

Your claim of using less than one litre per 100klm more than factory figures with at least 1500 kilo of car/trailer behind really is a joke, one must have to be there to see the funny side....

Quote:
Well there

you go, there are 2 turbo Diesel engines for the Triton. Learn something new every day.... :

There is only one turbo diesel engine in the 4WD range which is required by the OP.
Better to learn something new before making missinformed posts.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #49
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is only one turbo diesel engine in the 4WD range which is required by the OP.
Better to learn something new before making missinformed posts.
The 'just' updated (MY2010) model actually has two.... both 2.5 TDI in two different outputs.... Clicky

The old 3.2 has been superceded.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #50
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Very quick as the phones about to go flat, I work with tradesman all day, and from their perspective the hilux is an overpriced piece of machinery. The BT50 seems much more suited but also, the navara has become very popular. The ford ranger doesn't get much good rap, few blokes drive them and fewer have good things to say about them..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #51
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I don't have to be anywhere to know a certain mass takes a certain amount of energy to move it.
I drive a similar car with one ton of trailer load every day and i know the difference a load makes.

Your claim of using less than one litre per 100klm more than factory figures with at least 1500 kilo of car/trailer behind really is a joke, one must have to be there to see the funny side....
Well, I will agree to disagree with you then. 'Similar car??' No wonder you know all about what a Hilux uses in different conditions.

The driver behind the wheel and the speed / terrain at which you drive in has a huge bearing on consumption. In my situation, the trip was 90% flat as a tack, no traffic, stopped and started a hand full of times, 95% freeway and averaged 80-85km/h. With the car on the trailer you accelerate smoothly and brake smoothly. The conditions were ideal for low consumption I stated.

And the 9.6L you keep mentioning is a COMBINED cycle... so it's an average of a lower highway figure and a higher city figure... On the freeway to Bris the Hilux averaged around 8.5l/100km @ 100km/h.

I don't even know why I'm justifying what I said to a person who doesn't even own a Hilux??

Name calling is not called for either. If you disagree or care to question what I have said do so in an adult manner.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #52
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Well, I will agree to disagree with you then. 'Similar car??' No wonder you know all about what a Hilux uses in different conditions.

The driver behind the wheel and the speed / terrain at which you drive in has a huge bearing on consumption. In my situation, the trip was 90% flat as a tack, no traffic, stopped and started a hand full of times, 95% freeway and averaged 80-85km/h. With the car on the trailer you accelerate smoothly and brake smoothly. The conditions were ideal for low consumption I stated.

And the 9.6L you keep mentioning is a COMBINED cycle... so it's an average of a lower highway figure and a higher city figure... On the freeway to Bris the Hilux averaged around 8.5l/100km @ 100km/h.

I don't even know why I'm justifying what I said to a person who doesn't even own a Hilux??

Name calling is not called for either. If you disagree or care to question what I have said do so in an adult manner.
You don't own one either, and yes, i have driven and towed my trailer with a current Hilux, as i do with another current duelcab diesel every day.

As for name calling, another figment of your imagniatioin......
I'm done with this thread and done with you.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #53
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At my work we have all of the dual cabs mentioned exceptp the collarado/D Max and they are all pretty good. I have a bit of a dislike for the trition but will happily drive any of the others. Both of the navaras have had problems with fuel pumps and injectors so i would steer clear of them for that reason alone. IMO the ranger is the best overall.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #54
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Regards to all this hoo haa about factory fuel consumption do any of you know how many KMS are on the test cars when the average is worked out?

I know my Rodeo used around 11-12ltrs/100km when new but once had 15000km on it the consumption was a consistently 10-15% better in all conditions.I used to deliver tiles for all the display homes(1.3T loads) 6 times a day and the Dual Cab TD was brilliant.If you do go Rodeo make sure its the new gen motor as they are far more refined and less rattly,yehhh!!.

4th gear through roundabouts and with a load would pull away effortlessly and would yeild 700km+ to a tank,600km+ with loads.

I owned a Nissan Navara 2001 model before that and as good as it was parts were rediculously expensive.Doing 75,000km a year the utes had alot of upkeep.New ECU $2,400.yummy.

Value at the moment would lean towards the BT50 or the 3ltr TD Ranger.cheers

gilmore
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #55
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

my old mans got a single cab 2007 hilux and its a pretty good ute.was about 42g with steel tray,long range tank,bull bar, tow bar,tool boxes,spotties and factory toyota seat covers,weather shields etc.funnily enough, with the sidesteps that come on the hilux, its only got about as much ground clearance as my falcon RTV.
i priced up a similar spec ranger supercab in Ayr and it came to about 48g for an XL.seemed a bit pricey for me so i will shop around.
i personally am in the market for a ranger,ive test driven a few and am really impressed but i will probably wait for the t6 truck to come out,im pretty sure it will be a nice ute as well.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #56
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I add to the comment re high repair costs with Navara's.....ok my dual cab petrol/gas has been great for what I use it for 297thou k's but man when repairs need to get done I just can't believe how high parts are !
I'm glad I came across this thread as I'm about to trade her in/or sell her private.
Not going new, $20k gets me into a 05 Rodeo or similar, at least I know parts will be cheaper when the time comes and the same with HiLux.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post