Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default Looking for a new car

Lo all

Just after some advice on a used car purchase. I'm a bit if a nutty professor, so looking at doing a sort of DIY hybrid project. For this reason I need a used car, but have the following requirements.

- It needs to be cheap, but road legal (minimal rust, straight body, etc.)
- It needs to be manual, and front wheel drive (never thought I'd want that again)
- It needs to have as much free space in the engine bay as possible, to accommodate the regenerative braking system.
- An engine with a carby would be a lot easier to work with, as opposed to EFI.

I was thinking along the lines of an old 1990ish Corolla, as I can testify that these are pretty go-hard reliable little cars, but they don't have as much free space in the engine bay as I need, so thought I would put it out there to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Once I get hold of the car I'll post a thread of the buildup of a non-electric hybrid.

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Telstar TX5 AT (pre 92) jumps to mind, I had one and they were bulletproof.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The engine bay of a Festiva is very un-cluttered, lots of free space above the gearbox side of the engine bay.

You can score one for next to nothing, however they are efi...

I was brainstorming a similar idea once, and was thinking of using a vehicle with a 4x4 system that only kicks in when needed. Leave it as a front wheel drive vehicle, and have all the hardware in place to use the rear drive system for an additional drive or regenerative braking system. (Honda HRV was a good base car I thought).
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

AE92/AE94 with 4AGE
wolf in sheep's clothing.
Old 24-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
barbarian
Banned

Nissan Pulsar, Ford Laser etc. plenty of space around them 1.6ltr engines
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Austin Kimberly or 1800 Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Best thing i can think of, is a mid-late 80's magna (4cyl) charades, or ignoring FWD, go a sigma, very roomy engine bays.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post